Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Good ideas overseas

On Thursday, 21 June 2018 14:28:17 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 21/06/2018 10:22, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 16:51:55 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
There's this thing called the higway code maybe you should read it now
it has come out in book form rather than the reel of parchment paper you
read back in the day.

Then I'd suggest you read it on the subject of traffic lights. What they
mean rather than what you think they mean.

I suggest you do tbhey same and show me the section on jumping the lights.

Definition of jump the light
of a vehicle
: to start moving before the traffic light turns green

The car ahead of me jumped the light.

Isn't the point that this is only practicable in countries with four
phase traffic signals?

No idea I still don;t know what he's refering to when saying jumping the lights.
I always assumed it meant someone that has or has started to drive across a junction or crossing when the lights were RED.
But it seems some refer to this as jumping the Green light or junmping the amber light , but I've never heard these expressions before and can't work out what they mean or why they are illegal.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 June 2018 14:26:33 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Actually, the majority *do* jump the lights.

What does the word jump mean in this contexted is it lioke the cow
jumping over the moon, or more like jump starting your car ?

Because unless you come up with some sort of indication of what the
expesion means I can't help you to understand.

Given you've already pontificated on jumping the lights, I assumed you
understood what it meant. Silly me.

Yes very silly you.
I thought that jumping a red light meant driving off when you shouldn't is that they case ?

If it is then WTF does jumping a green light mean ?
I DO NOT know what jumping any7 other colour light means either , amber yellow blue, turquiose, indigo or any other colour light.

Perhaps yuo can tell me exactly what each term means, but obviously you've no idea because as you say you are being silly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , NY
wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
And those in Lycra organising miles of traveling road blocks on busy
roads, especially in hilly areas of the country. It helps if those
tackling that demanding 2 mile hill climb don't randomly wander across
both lanes or attempt to ride 4 abreast.

I live in Yorkshire and we get the Tour de Yorkshire each year. We look
fearfully at the route, to see which routes are going to get blighted by
cyclists for several years afterwards. The problem is not the race
itself, although it is intensely annoying to have to work around the very
long road blocks on the day (*); no, it is the organised cycling club
outings afterwards who ride with no sympathy for motorists who want to
get back: two abreast (with the right hand one as far to the right as
possible so as to block the whole road) and in long groups with no gaps
in between which would allow cars to get past a few at a time and then
pull in until it's safe to go past the next group.

There's obviously very little difference between your Yorkshire cyclists
and our Surrey ones. We had the Olympics' cycle races through our village
in 2012 and even before that, once the route was published, the cyclists
appeared in their hordes. Surrey County Council agreed that the Olympic
Route, or a close approximation, could be used annually my the Prudential
London cycle event - so one Saturday a year life in the same villages are
disrupted: weddings get cancelled, care homes can't have vistors,
ambulances can't reach potential patients, etc. I know there was avillage
in Scotland, similarly affected, where hundreds of drawing pins found their
way on to the route.

Charles

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2018 10:59, whisky-dave wrote:

Before they go green, either yellow or amber is shonw which indicated
proceed with caution which you are leagly able to do BEFORE the light
goes green so WTF are you talking about jumping green lights is this
some sort of sex thing you aussie do while the sheep rest.

I take it you don't drive in the UK.

You are *not* allowed to start off before the green light shows.
There is *no* amber before green.
The *is* a red + amber before green, you cannot proceed until it goes green.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" Wrote in message:
"Huge" wrote in message
and in particular to the tw*t furiously gesticulating at me to overtake
him in my car on a blind bend because he thinks the isle of Purbeck is
his own private f*cking velodrome."

I've had this: on a narrow single-track road, a lycra cyclist was doing his
best, but generally was doing about 20 mph, slowing to 10 or 5 on hills. But
he never pulled into any of the numerous farm gateways to let me past. There
were straight sections, but he rode in the middle of the road on those.
Whenever we came to a bend, he moved slightly left and beckoned me to
overtake; there was just about room to squeeze by, but it would have been
tight - and of course I'd no idea what might be coming round the bend. On
one occasion he furiously waved me on, annoyed that I wasn't overtaking, and
a couple of seconds later a lorry came round the bend towards us. *That's*
why I wasn't overtaking on the bends :-)

They're in their own little world, unaware of the needs of other road users.
When I go out cycling, I try to keep as far left as I can (without riding in
the verge where it's bumpy) to make it as easy as possible for vehicles to
get past, and if I hear a car behind me on a single-track road I speed up as
much as possible to get quickly to the next farm gateway where I can pull
off for a second - which gives me a rest as well! And I also signal that I'm
going to do it, so the car knows that I'm aware and will get out of his way
as soon as possible,

Single track roads are a nuisance, whatever you're driving. In a car, you
get people who pull into a space on the wrong side of the road, instead of
stopping in the road just before the space until I've got there, letting me
into the space so they can proceed and I can pull out again. Or you get
those who stop and pull over, but from such a long way off, and without
flashing you, that you don't realise they've stopped so you pull over,
thinking that they are still coming - leading to the "after you" / "no,
after you" time-wasting. If I meet a car on a single track road, and it's
still some distance away, and I can see a pulling in spot close ahead, I
indicate left and then flash him when I'm safely off the road - this
*communicates* to him, rather than letting him guess "is he? / isn't he?"

Just get him/them with the door?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/