Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Good ideas overseas

"NY" Wrote in message:
"Huge" wrote in message
and in particular to the tw*t furiously gesticulating at me to overtake
him in my car on a blind bend because he thinks the isle of Purbeck is
his own private f*cking velodrome."

I've had this: on a narrow single-track road, a lycra cyclist was doing his
best, but generally was doing about 20 mph, slowing to 10 or 5 on hills. But
he never pulled into any of the numerous farm gateways to let me past. There
were straight sections, but he rode in the middle of the road on those.
Whenever we came to a bend, he moved slightly left and beckoned me to
overtake; there was just about room to squeeze by, but it would have been
tight - and of course I'd no idea what might be coming round the bend. On
one occasion he furiously waved me on, annoyed that I wasn't overtaking, and
a couple of seconds later a lorry came round the bend towards us. *That's*
why I wasn't overtaking on the bends :-)

They're in their own little world, unaware of the needs of other road users.
When I go out cycling, I try to keep as far left as I can (without riding in
the verge where it's bumpy) to make it as easy as possible for vehicles to
get past, and if I hear a car behind me on a single-track road I speed up as
much as possible to get quickly to the next farm gateway where I can pull
off for a second - which gives me a rest as well! And I also signal that I'm
going to do it, so the car knows that I'm aware and will get out of his way
as soon as possible,

Single track roads are a nuisance, whatever you're driving. In a car, you
get people who pull into a space on the wrong side of the road, instead of
stopping in the road just before the space until I've got there, letting me
into the space so they can proceed and I can pull out again. Or you get
those who stop and pull over, but from such a long way off, and without
flashing you, that you don't realise they've stopped so you pull over,
thinking that they are still coming - leading to the "after you" / "no,
after you" time-wasting. If I meet a car on a single track road, and it's
still some distance away, and I can see a pulling in spot close ahead, I
indicate left and then flash him when I'm safely off the road - this
*communicates* to him, rather than letting him guess "is he? / isn't he?"

Just get him/them with the door?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/