Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Appliance bulb

I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott writes:
I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?

Oven lamps are high temperature (300C), and usually 25W or 40W.
Fridge are usually 15W (although I would use an LED nowadays).
Lots of different proprietary lamp bases for microwaves.

None of us have a clue what you bought.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 3 June 2018 10:56:13 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Scott writes:

I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?

Oven lamps are high temperature (300C), and usually 25W or 40W.
Fridge are usually 15W (although I would use an LED nowadays).
Lots of different proprietary lamp bases for microwaves.

None of us have a clue what you bought.

Indeed. It may be worth mentioning that vanilla bulbs also work in ovens, they're just more likely to suffer cap glue failure at the high temps, requiring pliers to unscrew when dead.

At 80% off you probably paid 4x their value.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott submitted this idea :
I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?

Normal bulbs will work in a fridge, but not good in a oven. Make sure
they are genuine 240v versions, there are lots of 230v ones around
which last only weeks on UK voltages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:19:03 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Scott submitted this idea :
I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?

Normal bulbs will work in a fridge, but not good in a oven. Make sure
they are genuine 240v versions, there are lots of 230v ones around
which last only weeks on UK voltages.

It's 220-240 Volts but bayonet cap, so not a fridge bulb at all. No
refunds as Maplins now in administration. What's an 'appliance bulb'
if it is no good in fridges or ovens?

Anyone wanting them can have them free of charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:19:03 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Scott submitted this idea :
I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?

Normal bulbs will work in a fridge, but not good in a oven. Make sure
they are genuine 240v versions, there are lots of 230v ones around
which last only weeks on UK voltages.

It's 220-240 Volts but bayonet cap, so not a fridge bulb at all. No
refunds as Maplins now in administration. What's an 'appliance bulb'
if it is no good in fridges or ovens?

Hoover?

Anyone wanting them can have them free of charge.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 13:31:12 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:19:03 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Scott submitted this idea :
I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?

Normal bulbs will work in a fridge, but not good in a oven. Make sure
they are genuine 240v versions, there are lots of 230v ones around
which last only weeks on UK voltages.

It's 220-240 Volts but bayonet cap, so not a fridge bulb at all. No
refunds as Maplins now in administration. What's an 'appliance bulb'
if it is no good in fridges or ovens?

Hoover?

Maybe, but I have a Dyson. I wonder how many modern appliances use BC
fittings. Next time it will be a visit to the electrical wholesaler
with the old bulb in my pocket.

Anyone wanting them can have them free of charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 11:19:08 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Scott submitted this idea :

I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?

Normal bulbs will work in a fridge, but not good in a oven. Make sure
they are genuine 240v versions, there are lots of 230v ones around
which last only weeks on UK voltages.

1000hr 220v bulbs last about 300hrs on 240v.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 June 2018 12:10:50 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 11:19:03 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Scott submitted this idea :

I bought two of these at Maplins, at 80% off. I now realise I'm not
sure what they are for. The last time I went to a 'proper' electrical
wholesaler, he told me different bulbs are needed for oven and fridge.
Does anyone know?

Normal bulbs will work in a fridge, but not good in a oven. Make sure
they are genuine 240v versions, there are lots of 230v ones around
which last only weeks on UK voltages.

It's 220-240 Volts but bayonet cap, so not a fridge bulb at all. No
refunds as Maplins now in administration. What's an 'appliance bulb'
if it is no good in fridges or ovens?

Anyone wanting them can have them free of charge.

Cooker hoods, some 1960s/70s hoovers, decorative tablelamps, lighting strings, sheds, etc etc. Also could be used in microwave, though not the approved type.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
I wonder how many modern appliances use BC
fittings.

Only if actually made in the UK, I'd guess. So none? ;-)

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 June 2018 22:27:08 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr expressed precisely :

1000hr 220v bulbs last about 300hrs on 240v.

Maybe try to explain that to my oven Þ

raised temp & vibration complicates the picture. Ditto an iffy electrical connection in the lampholder or a small unventilated fitting.

NT