Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving alarm keypad live?

Hi All

I am about to move the keypad for my alarm to a new location. I have taken the front of and there are 4 wires connected red, black (assume these are power) green and white. With a resistor across green and white.

Am I safe enough to cut the wires one by one (assume 12v will be ok) ? This would be ideal as it will make it easier to pull the wires through . If not, what is the best way to do it? Unscrew each wire and tape it?

Thanks

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Hi All

I am about to move the keypad for my alarm to a new location. I have
taken the front of and there are 4 wires connected red, black (assume
these are power) green and white. With a resistor across green and
white.

Am I safe enough to cut the wires one by one (assume 12v will be ok) ?
This would be ideal as it will make it easier to pull the wires through
. If not, what is the best way to do it? Unscrew each wire and tape it?

Power down the alarm and disconnect the internal battery. No need to worry
then.

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes in engineer mode. What is the best way to disconnect the keypad as the alarm is powered as even switching off the mains the battery will kick in
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Andy. I ended up unscrewing them individually taping each one and then taping them all together. Seems to have done the trick. Got the wire to the right place and thankfully it is just long enough without extending it. Now waiting for the wife to come back to confirm exact location and hopefully a job off the never ending DIY list
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Hi All

I am about to move the keypad for my alarm to a new location. I have
taken the front of and there are 4 wires connected red, black (assume
these are power) green and white. With a resistor across green and
white.

Am I safe enough to cut the wires one by one (assume 12v will be ok) ?
This would be ideal as it will make it easier to pull the wires through
. If not, what is the best way to do it? Unscrew each wire and tape it?

Power down the alarm and disconnect the internal battery. No need to worry
then.

Um, only if you have the engineer code. If not, the external sounder will
still go off as it has its own internal battery.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2018 16:48, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Hi All

I am about to move the keypad for my alarm to a new location. I have
taken the front of and there are 4 wires connected red, black (assume
these are power) green and white. With a resistor across green and
white.

Am I safe enough to cut the wires one by one (assume 12v will be ok) ?
This would be ideal as it will make it easier to pull the wires through
. If not, what is the best way to do it? Unscrew each wire and tape it?

Power down the alarm and disconnect the internal battery. No need to worry
then.

Um, only if you have the engineer code. If not, the external sounder will
still go off as it has its own internal battery.

Tim

Mine will go off even if you have the code.
The only way to stop it without power is to put some ear defenders on
and take the cover off and disconnect the sounder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi All

So firstly the good news. Keypad has been moved and wired back in without needing to extend the wire.

Now the bad news. The keypad correctly displays the time and the fact that the system is in engineer mode. When I press the buttons on this keypad it beeps as normal but the display doesn't change. When I enter the engineer code to come out of engineering mode on the other keypad, it checks for tampers and then says there are 2 things missing on the circuit
1. keypad 1
2 prox 1

Any ideas? Is there something special about keypads? System is a Honeywell Galaxy 2

This all

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any ideas?

Or try a restart from your other keypad

option 51 17 1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Hi All

I am about to move the keypad for my alarm to a new location. I have
taken the front of and there are 4 wires connected red, black (assume
these are power) green and white. With a resistor across green and
white.

Am I safe enough to cut the wires one by one (assume 12v will be ok) ?
This would be ideal as it will make it easier to pull the wires through
. If not, what is the best way to do it? Unscrew each wire and tape it?

Power down the alarm and disconnect the internal battery. No need to worry
then.

With my Texecom alarm step one would be to use the engineering utils to
switch off the sounder. You then have a couple of minutes to power off
the alarm and disconnect the battery.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any ideas?

An option 72 for autodetect, to see if it adds the keyprox back?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It was the pesky green wire. With it in the same hole as the resistor it it almost as if the wire is too thin and doesn't get caught properly.

The moved keypad now either shows a load of *'s or is blank. The other keypad beeps when pressed but doesn't seem to respond the key strokes. Just shows engineering mode and time
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No only keypads and the controller itself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have tried to get the keypad working but no joy. I have now disconnected the red lead of the keypad I moved but the other keypad is non responsive. The time is correct so not completely dead. Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

To be honest, I am not sure which way around they are wired together. Without tracing the wire runs is there a way to tell? I have disconnected the live and the green wire and the other keypad is not responsive. Shows engineering mode and correct date and time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looks like it was the green and white wires. Although both seemed in when pulled a little, they mustn't have been in properly. I stripped them back a little and redid them and the keypads seem to be responsive now. Won't take them out of engineering mode yet in case it triggers the alarm and wakes the neighbours

Thanks again for all your help
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It was indeed. Had to move it from bedroom to landing. TBH why we decided to put it in the bedroom originally is beyond me. Means everyone had to come into the bedroom to turn alarm off before going downstairs! Luckily wire was long enough after all so no big issue
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No joy... And new error. I have just tried to take it out of engineering mode and now get a missing module "RIO 102" any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Those 2 wires will be the death of me . My system doesn't go as far as 70's on the menu only 60's. Also 57 is system print. I believe I have a Galaxy 2 series if that helps. Will try googling for the menu settings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy - just want to say a huge thank you for all your help. I did a restart and it now seems to be working

The menu on mine isn't very intuitive. I found a diagnostic (61) and the keypads (option 1) showed 100% Comms but the RIO (option 2) 0%. Restart curiously was in 51 (parameters) and then option 17.

Anyway keypad now in new location and the restart seems to have done the trick.

Thanks once again

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Try option 72 for autodetect modules, or option 57 15 1 to restart the
panel?

[sorry can't quote your reply]

OK, I'm going by the installer manual for mine which is a galaxy flex, a
bit more modular, so I guess the options are different.

Do you have the galaxy2 installer manual? Maybe it doesn't have an
autodetect option if it has fixed modules, but I'd expect a restart
somewhere ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure if you have seen my previous reply but the restart was in the parameters setting menu (bit odd!). So ultimately it was 51 17.

Yes found the manual online in the end

https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf5/11...86&take=binary

Thanks again for all your help