Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stereo car radio with one speaker?

While I'm fiddling with the Morris ...

I have a spare radio, fairly modern, complete with USB socket, but
stereo, of course. The Morris has one speaker, in a pod. Were I to wire
both stereo outputs to that one speaker, in parallel, would I risk
damaging the radio?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interesting question. Would that result in the speaker output being the difference between the sounds on each channel? Does the radio have the ability to output mono sound?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Almost certainly.
Could be in a bridge output format and this will not work.
What about putting two speakers in the pod?
If you are modifying the interior with a new radio, why not add two decent
speakers in any case?
What was the earth line in a Morris, plus or-?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Graeme" wrote in message

While I'm fiddling with the Morris ...

I have a spare radio, fairly modern, complete with USB socket, but stereo,
of course. The Morris has one speaker, in a pod. Were I to wire both
stereo outputs to that one speaker, in parallel, would I risk damaging the
radio?
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes

If you are modifying the interior with a new radio, why not add two decent
speakers in any case?
What was the earth line in a Morris, plus or-?

The Morris was positive earth, but was converted to negative a few years
ago.

For speakers, I am looking at something like eBay item 263453272331

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Shelf...e-Pod-2-Way-Ca
r-Van-Motorhome-Boat-Truck-Caravan/263453272331?epid=10013532376&hash=ite
m3d5709e90b:g:SF0AAOSwjXNaZiKJ
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:

While I'm fiddling with the Morris ...

I have a spare radio, fairly modern, complete with USB socket, but
stereo, of course. The Morris has one speaker, in a pod. Were I to wire
both stereo outputs to that one speaker, in parallel, would I risk
damaging the radio?

Yes. It will do no harm to just have one speaker connected, though. But
you'll only get the left or right signal.

It would not be difficult to modify the radio to give a mono output from
both channels, though.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
It would only be the difference if wired out of phase, but so many
output stages use a bridge config, that i'd not want to chance either
way.
Brian

Amplifiers should have a lower output impedance than the speaker they're
driving. Paralleling outputs presents this as a load to the other amp. Way
lower than the designed load.

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/18 15:30, Graeme wrote:

While I'm fiddling with the Morris ...

I have a spare radio, fairly modern, complete with USB socket, but
stereo, of course. The Morris has one speaker, in a pod.Â* Were I to wire
both stereo outputs to that one speaker, in parallel, would I risk
damaging the radio?

Yes
Given just use one channel and put the thing into mono mode.

If you cant do that then wire a couple of 2.2 ohm 5W resistors together
in series across the outputs and feed the speaker from the function

The quality will suck a bit, but not as amuch as a 70s single car radio
speaker.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 May 2018 15:30:21 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
While I'm fiddling with the Morris ...

I have a spare radio, fairly modern, complete with USB socket, but
stereo, of course. The Morris has one speaker, in a pod. Were I to wire
both stereo outputs to that one speaker, in parallel, would I risk
damaging the radio?

Definitely. Just connect one feed per speaker & all's well.
Maybe you can find somewhere to hide a decent speaker, like under the seat.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, but the issue is often not this. the issue is that they do not have
either side of the speaker as earth, and hence the effect is almost to short
out the supply via the output device. Most are protected so the net result
would probably be click, then nothing. Also of course, the old speaker in a
Morris will be a sensitive cheap oval one meant for old fashioned low output
radios, usually class A stages with a transformer employing one big power
transistor, not a sophisticated, often surround sound gadget with two or
more amps running in class a/b bridge configuration to get the extra output
needed for the inefficient speakers one finds nowadays.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
It would only be the difference if wired out of phase, but so many
output stages use a bridge config, that i'd not want to chance either
way.
Brian

Amplifiers should have a lower output impedance than the speaker they're
driving. Paralleling outputs presents this as a load to the other amp. Way
lower than the designed load.

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme writes:

While I'm fiddling with the Morris ...

I have a spare radio, fairly modern, complete with USB socket, but
stereo, of course. The Morris has one speaker, in a pod. Were I to wire
both stereo outputs to that one speaker, in parallel, would I risk
damaging the radio?

Reminds me, parents used to have a valve car radio.
It started in an Armstrong Siddeley car (don't know if it was
original fit, or if my dad fitted it). Dad transferred it to a
1965 Vauxhaul Victor. The dashboard part had the tuner and preamp
valve stages, which was connected with a thick umbillical cable
to a box in the passenger footwell which had the power output
stage and transformer, and the HT generation and rectifier valve.
The HT generation was driven by a plug-in vibrator which was
basically a changeover relay operating as a buzzer in a metal can
with sound and vibration absorbing material around it, driving a
centre-tapped primary of a step-up transformer. The vibrator was
worn out and the box usually needed a kick to get it started.
It was supposed to be regularly replaced, but they were no longer
available, so I would keep opening it up and repairing it as the
contacts wore out. Eventually, I replaced it with a transistor
multivibrator circuit, and the HT rectifier valve with semi-
conductor diodes.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[...]

Remember my father getting a car radio fitted. Mid '50s and totally valve.
But IIRC the first of such which was all the one unit. RadioMobile. Quite
an exercise in packaging.

My first FM car radio - found on a scrap LHD Opel in a yard - was also
valve, with two units. And 6 volts. We converted it to 12v. No UK FM car
radios at that time.

--
*IF A TURTLE DOESN'T HAVE A SHELL, IS HE HOMELESS OR NAKED?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 May 2018 09:01:04 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reminds me, parents used to have a valve car radio.
It started in an Armstrong Siddeley car (don't know if it was original
fit, or if my dad fitted it).

When I worked at Technical Trading (q.v.) the shop manager (Chris, I
think) had an Armstrong Siddeley.

Dad transferred it to a 1965 Vauxhaul
Victor. The dashboard part had the tuner and preamp valve stages, which
was connected with a thick umbillical cable to a box in the passenger
footwell which had the power output stage and transformer, and the HT
generation and rectifier valve.

That is just how I remember Chris's radio, so perhaps it was standard
fit. (I also remember the strange hinge arrangement on the doors, and the
preselect gearbox)

The HT generation was driven by a plug-in vibrator which was basically a
changeover relay operating as a buzzer in a metal can with sound and
vibration absorbing material around it, driving a centre-tapped primary
of a step-up transformer. The vibrator was worn out and the box usually
needed a kick to get it started.

I remember those things. Also used in various military sets. I had a box
of them, 'won' from the Royal Marines in Portsmouth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 12:03:16 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Somewhere I still have a car radio that proudly says 'Transistor' on the front panel. It is of course a valve radio except for one output transistor, which oddly runs cold.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I remember those things. Also used in various military sets. I had a
box of them, 'won' from the Royal Marines in Portsmouth.

Somewhere I still have a car radio that proudly says 'Transistor' on the
front panel. It is of course a valve radio except for one output
transistor, which oddly runs cold.

Yes. Possible to make low HT valves for RF etc. But not for the power
output. Some time before they got rid of an output and driver transformer,
though.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Sat, 05 May 2018 09:01:04 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reminds me, parents used to have a valve car radio.
It started in an Armstrong Siddeley car (don't know if it was original
fit, or if my dad fitted it).

When I worked at Technical Trading (q.v.) the shop manager (Chris, I
think) had an Armstrong Siddeley.

Dad transferred it to a 1965 Vauxhaul
Victor. The dashboard part had the tuner and preamp valve stages, which
was connected with a thick umbillical cable to a box in the passenger
footwell which had the power output stage and transformer, and the HT
generation and rectifier valve.

That is just how I remember Chris's radio, so perhaps it was standard
fit.

I just did some googling, and this is the floor unit:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radiom...mplifie_4.html

It looks like it has some type of standard interface which can be used
with many tuners. I searched but although there are pictures of hundreds
of 1950's radio tuners, I can't find the one we had, which I remember
very well.

(I also remember the strange hinge arrangement on the doors, and the
preselect gearbox)

So did dad's. This might have been standard on Armstrong Siddeley.
Wikipedia says they used Wilson pre-select gearboxes. Apparently,
Wilson started off designing tank gearboxes in WWI, and developed
the first gearbox allowing tanks to be driven by one driver,
instead of needing two drivers shouting instructions between them.

The HT generation was driven by a plug-in vibrator which was basically a
changeover relay operating as a buzzer in a metal can with sound and
vibration absorbing material around it, driving a centre-tapped primary
of a step-up transformer. The vibrator was worn out and the box usually
needed a kick to get it started.

I remember those things. Also used in various military sets. I had a box
of them, 'won' from the Royal Marines in Portsmouth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrator_%28electronic%29

The top picture is similar, but the vibrator had no mechanical
connection to the case, and pushed into some foam or felt (I forget)
which insulated the vibration from the can. Also, it was 12V.

The circuit diagram is what I remember too, except it had a valve
diode and not a voltage doubler rectifier as shown in the picture.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 May 2018 19:19:03 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
[...]

That could well be the same, although I'm not certain. I don't really
remember the tuner.

[...]

Same here. Although the Heathkit one is shiny and posh; mine were dull
grey metal with WD on them!