Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stereo car radio with one speaker?

In article ,
Graeme writes:

While I'm fiddling with the Morris ...

I have a spare radio, fairly modern, complete with USB socket, but
stereo, of course. The Morris has one speaker, in a pod. Were I to wire
both stereo outputs to that one speaker, in parallel, would I risk
damaging the radio?

Reminds me, parents used to have a valve car radio.
It started in an Armstrong Siddeley car (don't know if it was
original fit, or if my dad fitted it). Dad transferred it to a
1965 Vauxhaul Victor. The dashboard part had the tuner and preamp
valve stages, which was connected with a thick umbillical cable
to a box in the passenger footwell which had the power output
stage and transformer, and the HT generation and rectifier valve.
The HT generation was driven by a plug-in vibrator which was
basically a changeover relay operating as a buzzer in a metal can
with sound and vibration absorbing material around it, driving a
centre-tapped primary of a step-up transformer. The vibrator was
worn out and the box usually needed a kick to get it started.
It was supposed to be regularly replaced, but they were no longer
available, so I would keep opening it up and repairing it as the
contacts wore out. Eventually, I replaced it with a transistor
multivibrator circuit, and the HT rectifier valve with semi-
conductor diodes.

--
Andrew Gabriel