Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing clear, thick sealant

No, I no longer have the empty tube to help identify it. It is on a
painted surface, very well adhered and I need to remove it. Gentle
scrapping gets the thick off, but not the entire thickness. Is there
any solution which will loosen it please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
No, I no longer have the empty tube to help identify it. It is on a
painted surface, very well adhered and I need to remove it. Gentle
scrapping gets the thick off, but not the entire thickness. Is there any
solution which will loosen it please?

In case no-one else has any suggestions, I find that those Benzyl
Alcohol paint strippers soften up things like that - even when you might
not want them to :-) I've used them on acrylic sealers when nothing
else seems to work, but it also seems to soften up some of those
ready-mixed plaster repair fillers, which can be annoying; but at least
I know to be careful with it now. TBH, it's the only sort of stripper
I'll buy from now on, since it's the only thing I ever found that works
on emulsion, too. Takes hours to work, though. And it's supposed to be
non-toxic (at least it is ATM) and it is low-vapour. Costs about £30
for a big plastic bottle, so might not be economic for a small job, but
if you will be stripping paint in the future...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre presented the following explanation :
In case no-one else has any suggestions, I find that those Benzyl Alcohol
paint strippers soften up things like that - even when you might not want
them to :-) I've used them on acrylic sealers when nothing else seems to
work, but it also seems to soften up some of those ready-mixed plaster repair
fillers, which can be annoying; but at least I know to be careful with it
now. TBH, it's the only sort of stripper I'll buy from now on, since it's
the only thing I ever found that works on emulsion, too. Takes hours to
work, though. And it's supposed to be non-toxic (at least it is ATM) and it
is low-vapour. Costs about £30 for a big plastic bottle, so might not be
economic for a small job, but if you will be stripping paint in the future...

I don't want the underlying paint surface to be damaged..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre presented the following explanation :
In case no-one else has any suggestions, I find that those Benzyl
Alcohol paint strippers soften up things like that - even when you
might not want them to :-) I've used them on acrylic sealers when
nothing else seems to work, but it also seems to soften up some of
those ready-mixed plaster repair fillers, which can be annoying; but
at least I know to be careful with it now. TBH, it's the only sort of
stripper I'll buy from now on, since it's the only thing I ever found
that works on emulsion, too. Takes hours to work, though. And it's
supposed to be non-toxic (at least it is ATM) and it is low-vapour.
Costs about £30 for a big plastic bottle, so might not be economic for
a small job, but if you will be stripping paint in the future...

I don't want the underlying paint surface to be damaged..

Ah. That would definitely be a problet :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre presented the following explanation :
In case no-one else has any suggestions, I find that those Benzyl
Alcohol paint strippers soften up things like that - even when you
might not want them to :-) I've used them on acrylic sealers when
nothing else seems to work, but it also seems to soften up some of
those ready-mixed plaster repair fillers, which can be annoying; but
at least I know to be careful with it now. TBH, it's the only sort of
stripper I'll buy from now on, since it's the only thing I ever found
that works on emulsion, too. Takes hours to work, though. And it's
supposed to be non-toxic (at least it is ATM) and it is low-vapour.
Costs about £30 for a big plastic bottle, so might not be economic for
a small job, but if you will be stripping paint in the future...

I don't want the underlying paint surface to be damaged..

And I have to add - I should have realised that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Lidl had their very good label remover last week. It may not work in your
app. but worth a try if you can still find it? It's safe on most surfaces.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 09:49:35 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
No, I no longer have the empty tube to help identify it. It is on a
painted surface, very well adhered and I need to remove it. Gentle
scrapping gets the thick off, but not the entire thickness. Is there
any solution which will loosen it please?

If it's not rigid it's silicone, and can be removed with a blade.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 10:18:34 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Benzyl alcohol is phenol aka carbolic. In the 30s it killed more people than all other household chemicals combined. Nontoxic seems more than optimistic.

Emulsion can be turned to a loose gel by soaking in water for hours.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I suppose everything will be toxic, eventually :-) It says non-toxic on
the stuff I get, but I still checked on wiki, where it says 'low'
toxicity. It also shows a slightly different molecular diagram to
phenol, but they are so similar that I have no idea how significant the
difference is. But it /smells/ nothing like phenol, which I would
recognise anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzyl_alcohol

Emulsion can be turned to a loose gel by soaking in water for hours.

I needed something to strip some messy walls. For something small, I'd
have rubbed it off with acetone.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2018 09:49, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
No, I no longer have the empty tube to help identify it. It is on a
painted surface, very well adhered and I need to remove it. Gentle
scrapping gets the thick off, but not the entire thickness. Is there any
solution which will loosen it please?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...er-100ml/88987

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncy4zen2s5M

You may have to see if it also strips paint!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I see it is indeed not quite the same as phenol

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2018 14:24, alan_m wrote:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...er-100ml/88987

back of bottle
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/remover/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 09:49:34 +0100
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

No, I no longer have the empty tube to help identify it. It is on a
painted surface, very well adhered and I need to remove it. Gentle
scrapping gets the thick off, but not the entire thickness. Is there
any solution which will loosen it please?

Have you tried hot air? Possibly with steel wool rather than a scraper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) pretended :
Lidl had their very good label remover last week. It may not work in your
app. but worth a try if you can still find it? It's safe on most surfaces.

Thanks, that reminds me I have some stashed away somewhere in the
workshop. Yes, the sealant seems very similar to that glue used on some
labels, so worth a try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Emulsion can be turned to a loose gel by soaking in water for hours.

NT

The easiest way to soak emulsion is to coat it with a stiffish mix of wallpaper paste. It scrapes off pretty easily after an hour or so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 13:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
Mr Fuxit wrote:

The easiest way to soak emulsion is to coat it with a stiffish mix of
wallpaper paste. It scrapes off pretty easily after an hour or so.

As I discovered to my cost when several coats of emulsion failed to
cover some marks on a ceiling, and I decided to paper it instead ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield submitted this idea :
Dave Plowman (News) pretended :
Lidl had their very good label remover last week. It may not work in your
app. but worth a try if you can still find it? It's safe on most surfaces.

Thanks, that reminds me I have some stashed away somewhere in the workshop.
Yes, the sealant seems very similar to that glue used on some labels, so
worth a try.

Having tried it - it helped a little. It basically stopped it
resticking, when it was rubbed off, though it didn't actually dissolve
the sealant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2018 08:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield submitted this idea :
Dave Plowman (News) pretended :
Lidl had their very good label remover last week. It may not work in
your
app. but worth a try if you can still find it? It's safe on most
surfaces.

Thanks, that reminds me I have some stashed away somewhere in the
workshop. Yes, the sealant seems very similar to that glue used on
some labels, so worth a try.

Having tried it - it helped a little. It basically stopped it
resticking, when it was rubbed off, though it didn't actually dissolve
the sealant.

The most common sort of clear sealant is silicone, so "silicone eater"
might help (but it might attack the underlying paint). I have seen clear
sealants that could be dissolved by petroleum type solvents so might be
worth trying white spirit, also alcohol or acetone (nail varnish
remover). But I think that if label remover behaves as you have
described it is probably silicone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 20180419024738.221b6dfe@Mars,
Rob Morley wrote:
The easiest way to soak emulsion is to coat it with a stiffish mix of
wallpaper paste. It scrapes off pretty easily after an hour or so.

As I discovered to my cost when several coats of emulsion failed to
cover some marks on a ceiling, and I decided to paper it instead ...

I've papered over emulsioned walls without problems.

--
*Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley wrote:
The easiest way to soak emulsion is to coat it with a stiffish mix of
wallpaper paste. It scrapes off pretty easily after an hour or so.

As I discovered to my cost when several coats of emulsion failed to
cover some marks on a ceiling, and I decided to paper it instead ...

I've papered over emulsioned walls without problems.

In only needed to remove a load of emulsion because half of it had
fallen off the last time the paper was removed. It was too patchy to
try to fill, and I'm no skimmer :-) I tried painting over it, which
made it worse; and then papering over it, which didn't help, either.
Fed up, I decided to strip it all, which took ages, but which felt great
when it was finished.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heat?
Since we do not know what its made of.