dave @ stejonda

Default draining CH after Fernox Restorer - how clear is clear?

Now draining the CH system after having Fernox Restorer running around
in it for a few days.

Filling and draining it until the water comes out is clear is
'interesting work' - running up and down stairs | loft ladder | opening
radiator bleed points | bleeding rad's...

How clear do I really need to get the water before it's clean enough?

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
fred

In article , dave @ stejonda
writes

Now draining the CH system after having Fernox Restorer running around
in it for a few days.

Filling and draining it until the water comes out is clear is
'interesting work' - running up and down stairs | loft ladder | opening
radiator bleed points | bleeding rad's...

How clear do I really need to get the water before it's clean enough?

Not answering your question directly, but can you flush it through rather
than filling and draining? Hose connected to a drain point near the boiler &
fill continuously via the filling point or header tank. Close radiators off in
selected areas to force flow through distant rads.

My system was designed to make this possible, with an isolation valve in
the boiler feed, but you may be able to stop reverse flow through the boiler
(except when you want to flush that loop) by closing the pump isolation
valves (if fitted).

I flushed through for 30mins, closing off selected rads/areas to make sure
everything was flushed, water was totally clear at finish. No need to bleed
when flushing if you don't drain first.
--
fred
dave @ stejonda

In message , fred writes
In article , dave @ stejonda
writes

Now draining the CH system after having Fernox Restorer running around
in it for a few days.

Filling and draining it until the water comes out is clear is
'interesting work' - running up and down stairs | loft ladder | opening
radiator bleed points | bleeding rad's...

How clear do I really need to get the water before it's clean enough?

{I cancelled my original article as soon as I'd sent it, because the
water suddenly got clear, which is why most people won't have seen it}

Not answering your question directly, but can you flush it through rather
than filling and draining? Hose connected to a drain point near the boiler &
fill continuously via the filling point or header tank. Close radiators off in
selected areas to force flow through distant rads.

My system was designed to make this possible, with an isolation valve in
the boiler feed, but you may be able to stop reverse flow through the boiler
(except when you want to flush that loop) by closing the pump isolation
valves (if fitted).

This is an excellent idea ISTM and something I'll consider organising
for the next time I need to do this in ~3 years time.

I flushed through for 30mins, closing off selected rads/areas to make sure
everything was flushed, water was totally clear at finish. No need to bleed
when flushing if you don't drain first.

Bliss!

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
http://www.performance-channel.com/
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:05:44 +0100, dave @ stejonda wrote:

This is an excellent idea ISTM and something I'll consider
organising for the next time I need to do this in ~3 years time.

erm, why would you be doing this again in 3 years time? Surely when
you finally refill this time you'll be adding a corrosion inhibiter.
Shouldn't need touching again unless you have problems with the
system.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy Hall

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:29:48 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:05:44 +0100, dave @ stejonda wrote:

This is an excellent idea ISTM and something I'll consider
organising for the next time I need to do this in ~3 years time.

erm, why would you be doing this again in 3 years time? Surely when
you finally refill this time you'll be adding a corrosion inhibiter.
Shouldn't need touching again unless you have problems with the
system.

cue .andy ...

Tee hee.

Not much to add really.

Inhibitors do degrade over time, although I'm not 100% certain what
the mechanism is. When I had an open vented system, I would test at
least annually and after about three years the inhibitor was showing
marginally with the test kit. so 3 years isn't a bad rule of thumb.

I would then drain a little water and top up, but then on every
alternate occasion (i.e. every 6 years) would drain, flush and refill
with fresh inhibitor.

Now with a sealed system it's just coming up to two years and no sign
of degradation. It could be that the degradation mechanism is with it
being open to the atmosphere and some amount of oxygen dissolving but
I am not certain.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl