Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Miki

Default Ozone generator to clear mold, will it clear termites too?

Just curious. Have a serious mold problem in one of my bathrooms (took
a big chunk of tile falling off for me to realize this). I've torn out
ALL of the bathroom except structural components. I also purchased an
ozone generator to use for short duration, high dosing "shock"
treatment to kill off mold that I couldn't reach with bleach and a
toothbrush. (Unoccupied room, of course.)

I noticed some termite damage in one of the subfloor boards that I
replaced. While waiting for my ozone generator to arrive, I've been
wondering if that thing'll affect termites too?

John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
"Miki" wrote:

I noticed some termite damage in one of the subfloor boards that I
replaced. While waiting for my ozone generator to arrive, I've been
wondering if that thing'll affect termites too?

Any level of ozone high enough to impact mold or termites would
be instantly fatal to a human. If it doesn't kill you, it isn't
going to bother the bugs. After all, these bugs and molds were
around when the earth was a far more nasty place to live, and
they seemed to do just fine. Some of these bugs will even
survive a close atomic blast.

The best bet is to hire a licensed professionals. If you ever
sell the place, you will have to disclose these problems, and
a buyer (and lender) will not touch this property unless you
can show documentation where you had it fixed by a certified
professional.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Househunter

I just got a primer on termite control, from a very good reputable home
inspector/pest control company...

the home DIY treatments for termites are mostly ineffective over the
long run. They told me right out, they must put 3 to 4 termite baiting
stations per property on a permanent basis, to really protect any
property from termites. This keeps a steady stream of poison being
taken back to the underground nests by worker 'mites, which reduces or
kills off the nest. There are millions of workers per nest, they are
quite hard to kill off completely- they have a tendency to come back.

A quick spray job and one baiting station that is removed in a month,
don't cut it. The termites will come back.

If you have termite damage in the bathroom, bet Vegas house odds you
have termite damage elsewhere in the home too- you should call a
professional in and have your home baited and fumigated. Think about
it- those 'mites had to get in somewhere else and work their way to
your bathroom- most likely eating your house and tunneling along the
way.