Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Removing clear, thick sealant

On 19/04/2018 08:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield submitted this idea :
Dave Plowman (News) pretended :
Lidl had their very good label remover last week. It may not work in
your
app. but worth a try if you can still find it? It's safe on most
surfaces.

Thanks, that reminds me I have some stashed away somewhere in the
workshop. Yes, the sealant seems very similar to that glue used on
some labels, so worth a try.

Having tried it - it helped a little. It basically stopped it
resticking, when it was rubbed off, though it didn't actually dissolve
the sealant.

The most common sort of clear sealant is silicone, so "silicone eater"
might help (but it might attack the underlying paint). I have seen clear
sealants that could be dissolved by petroleum type solvents so might be
worth trying white spirit, also alcohol or acetone (nail varnish
remover). But I think that if label remover behaves as you have
described it is probably silicone.