Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Simple online private sharing of arranged photograph albums?

Is there a simple windows photo editing package that a non-social media
DSLR user can alter, arrange an order, caption and upload shots taken -
then email a link from the application so that only his friends can
enjoy the album?

Google photos is sadly aimed at bulk uploading, archiving and not
composition. It's also non-intuitive for the non technical, and
technically quite a mess (yes, you can do *that* in google drive, and no
you can't in google photos...)

& Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

Wasn't there some web storage built into Adobe elementary products?

Or a private server ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian Caspersz
writes
Is there a simple windows photo editing package that a non-social media
DSLR user can alter, arrange an order, caption and upload shots taken -
then email a link from the application so that only his friends can
enjoy the album?

Google photos is sadly aimed at bulk uploading, archiving and not
composition. It's also non-intuitive for the non technical, and
technically quite a mess (yes, you can do *that* in google drive, and
no you can't in google photos...)

& Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

Wasn't there some web storage built into Adobe elementary products?

Or a private server ...

Is Canon Irista any use?

I signed up over a year ago, but have only used it once to share photos
of part of an automatic garage door. I may not have used it much because
I can never remember its name!
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2018 18:32, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Is there a simple windows photo editing package that a non-social media
DSLR user can alter, arrange an order, caption and upload shots taken -
then email a link from the application so that only his friends can
enjoy the album?

Google photos is sadly aimed at bulk uploading, archiving and not
composition. It's also non-intuitive for the non technical, and
technically quite a mess (yes, you can do *that* in google drive, and no
you can't in google photos...)

& Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

Wasn't there some web storage built into Adobe elementary products?

Or a private server ...

Yes, there is an Adobe system but I think it is priced for the
professional rather than the casual amateur.

You can just put folders into any of the free cloud systems (Google
Drive, MS One Drive, Dropbox) and email people links. Or you could make
up "slide shows" with Powerpoint and share these the same way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 8:53:21 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

Mega NZ seems to be the most straightforward of the cloud systems. Google Drive drives you crazy, and the Dropbox free limit is too small.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/18 18:32, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Is there a simple windows photo editing package that a non-social media
DSLR user can alter, arrange an order, caption and upload shots taken -
then email a link from the application so that only his friends can
enjoy the album?

Google photos is sadly aimed at bulk uploading, archiving and not
composition. It's also non-intuitive for the non technical, and
technically quite a mess (yes, you can do *that* in google drive, and no
you can't in google photos...)

& Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

Wasn't there some web storage built into Adobe elementary products?

Or a private server ...

Build one on your own private server

And password protect it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/18 18:32, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Is there a simple windows photo editing package that a non-social
media DSLR user can alter, arrange an order, caption and upload shots
taken - then email a link from the application so that only his
friends can enjoy the album?

Google photos is sadly aimed at bulk uploading, archiving and not
composition. It's also non-intuitive for the non technical, and
technically quite a mess (yes, you can do *that* in google drive, and
no you can't in google photos...)

& Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

Wasn't there some web storage built into Adobe elementary products?

Or a private server ...

Build one on your own private server

And password protect it.

Yup, it's pretty much having an application that is user configurable
for order and presentation.

I'll probably end up paying a web hosting company, running one of their
installed web gallery album applications - there are a few to choose
from, like

https://jalbum.net/en/software/features

Problem is technically managing that will be flying over the head of the
photographer using it - so it will be down to me 24/7

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/18 20:08, Bill wrote:
Is Canon Irista any use?

I signed up over a year ago, but have only used it once to share photos
of part of an automatic garage door. I may not have used it much because
I can never remember its name!

Well, he has Canon Cameras.... Hmmm, that could work

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/18 20:53, newshound wrote:
On 09/04/2018 18:32, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Is there a simple windows photo editing package that a non-social
media DSLR user can alter, arrange an order, caption and upload shots
taken - then email a link from the application so that only his
friends can enjoy the album?

Google photos is sadly aimed at bulk uploading, archiving and not
composition. It's also non-intuitive for the non technical, and
technically quite a mess (yes, you can do *that* in google drive, and
no you can't in google photos...)

& Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

Wasn't there some web storage built into Adobe elementary products?

Or a private server ...

Yes, there is an Adobe system but I think it is priced for the
professional rather than the casual amateur.

Adobe Creative Cloud is a tenner a month for the photography options -
if you're a keen amateur, that's reasonable - if you are just sharing
ad-hoc, less so...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2018 18:32, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Is there a simple windows photo editing package that a non-social media
DSLR user can alter, arrange an order, caption and upload shots taken -
then email a link from the application so that only his friends can
enjoy the album?

Google photos is sadly aimed at bulk uploading, archiving and not
composition. It's also non-intuitive for the non technical, and
technically quite a mess (yes, you can do *that* in google drive, and no
you can't in google photos...)

& Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

Wasn't there some web storage built into Adobe elementary products?

Or a private server ...

A few years ago a relative sent me his photos of a family
funeral using something called PhotoPeach, but I have no
idea what sort of editing facilities it has.

I just clicked on the email again and they are all still there
so it must still exist.

Needs Adobe flash though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

They've been sold again ... less than a year since last time.

They keep emailing me telling me of their news, even though they have
(quite reasonably) closed my account due to inactivity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2018 09:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

They've been sold again ... less than a year since last time.

They keep emailing me telling me of their news, even though they have
(quite reasonably) closed my account due to inactivity.

Something else that will disappear from my Humax HD FOX T2.
Twitter has already gone. ONly a slowwwww version of the
iPlayer left.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

They've been sold again ... less than a year since last time.

They keep emailing me telling me of their news, even though they have
(quite reasonably) closed my account due to inactivity.

Something else that will disappear from my Humax HD FOX T2.
Twitter has already gone. ONly a slowwwww version of the iPlayer left.

JOOI, is the slower version of iPlayer a recent phenomena from about a
week ago? I only ask because the gypsies running the iPlayer concession
appear to have, in the past fortnight, deprecated the 25fps versions of
their mid definition (1280 by 720) downloads in favour of the 50fps
versions which are typically 120% larger in size (1GB - 2.2GB downloads).

This has forced us users of get_iplayer (Gip) to change its preference
setting to 50fps in order to restore the ratio of 1280x720 to 960x540
downloads which obviously effects the volume of data being uploaded by
iPlayer's servers to their licence paying clients who don't have a fast
enough broadband service to stream iPlayer's content direct to their TV
screen or computer monitor without buffering delays spoiling their
'viewing experience'.

I'm just wondering whether this unilateral decision at "iPlayer Central"
to force a not particularly desired 'Quality Upgrade' upon its less well
connected client base has started to impact the ordinary users who
otherwise do have sufficient bandwidth to stream direct to their TV sets.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 23/04/18 09:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Flickr is probably not that long for this world...

They've been sold again ... less than a year since last time.

They keep emailing me telling me of their news, even though they have
(quite reasonably) closed my account due to inactivity.

I have two accounts on flickr, the photo are still there, but when they
went to yahoo the login process changed, so now I not only don't
remember the passwords but I don't know the username/email I used.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DJC wrote:

I have two accounts on flickr, the photo are still there, but when they
went to yahoo the login process changed, so now I not only don't
remember the passwords but I don't know the username/email I used.

They send emails to mains, so I must have used that,
but if I try that address on their forgotten password page, it says I
don't exist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 23/04/18 22:15, Andy Burns wrote:
DJC wrote:

I have two accounts on flickr, the photo are still there, but when they
went to yahoo the login process changed, so now I not only don't
remember the passwords but I don't know the username/email I used.

They send emails to mains, so I must have used that,
but if I try that address on their forgotten password page, it says I
don't exist.

Yes, similar thing here. I think when it went to Yahoo, I had to get a
Yahoo id to log-on which I have lost, the email used for for the recent
notifications is not the one recognised by forgot password.