Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need power supply with 12 and 24 volt arranged in square pattern inDIN plug

Just got in a LCTV which takes something called a ADP-24V12V-4P power
supply. Not sure if it works or not. Doesnt seem to be available
except at about the same price as the whole TV's total current value.

Does anyone recognise this unit and have any idea where to get one
please?. Seems to be available in Hong Kong where I cant believe it
would cost all that much.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
DManzaluni wrote:
Just got in a LCTV which takes something called a ADP-24V12V-4P power
supply. Not sure if it works or not. Doesnt seem to be available
except at about the same price as the whole TV's total current value.

Does anyone recognise this unit and have any idea where to get one
please?. Seems to be available in Hong Kong where I cant believe it
would cost all that much.

Does it give full details of the loading, etc? No real reason not to use
two independant supplies - one 12v and one 24v. Although 24 volt wall
warts might be more difficult to source.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DManzaluni wrote in message
Just got in a LCTV which takes something called a ADP-24V12V-4P power
supply. Not sure if it works or not. Doesnt seem to be available
except at about the same price as the whole TV's total current value.

Does anyone recognise this unit and have any idea where to get one
please?. Seems to be available in Hong Kong where I cant believe it
would cost all that much.

Are you sure its not for a single 12V or 24V supply ? any observable bypass
switch inside the power socket ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 2, 6:11*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
DManzaluni wrote in message

Just got in a LCTV which takes something called a ADP-24V12V-4P power
supply. Not sure if it works or not. *Doesnt seem to be available
except at about the same price as the whole TV's total current value.

Does anyone recognise this unit and have any idea where to get one
please?. *Seems to be available in Hong Kong where I cant believe it
would cost all that much.

Are you sure its not for a single 12V or 24V supply ? any observable bypass
switch inside the power socket ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

I dont know, but these requirements look pretty specific to me: Input:
(100-240V 50-60Hz) 3.0A Max.
Output: +24v-6A---12V-3A, doesnt show polarity but I am not sure. I
cant believe they put out these requirements just to make you buy
THEIR adapter, though there ARE postings out there showing that the
adapters may not be all that reliable and the company doesnt seem to
make them easy to get.

There appears to be a company in HK which has a lock on what they call
"OEM" adapters (on every search engine I have got) and they all look
identical, with identically positioned square placement DIN plugs.
Some cost $26 or best offer, some cost $139 or best offer. (Dont
think I have the capacity to do two independent power supplied with
this plug) but on some of them, they do show 6v coming out of each of
the pair. I would be prepared to believe that with something as
complex as a TV which usually works on 120/240, some parts of it might
be designed to work on 12v with others 24v? Where would the bypass
switch come in (and what does it look like)?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

There are a lot of sellers on eBay that sell "exact" replacement AC adapters
and various OEM-type power supplies.
Some of them sell directly from China, and some have very low prices and
shipping costs.
FWIW, eBay management is very proud to have established these direct China
sources, and seems to be giving them some sort of favored status, IMO.

If you don't buy on eBay, you probably know someone who does.

If there is no symbol or label showing which pins need the 12V and 24V
supplies, both the TV and the power supply will very likely be damaged if
they don't match.
You might consider seeking help from a qualified and experienced technician
regarding the correct positioning of the adapter pins.

--
Cheers,
WB

"DManzaluni" wrote in message
Just got in a LCTV which takes something called a ADP-24V12V-4P power
supply. Not sure if it works or not. Doesnt seem to be available
except at about the same price as the whole TV's total current value.

Does anyone recognise this unit and have any idea where to get one
please?. Seems to be available in Hong Kong where I cant believe it
would cost all that much.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DManzaluni wrote:

Just got in a LCTV which takes something called a ADP-24V12V-4P power
supply. Not sure if it works or not. Doesnt seem to be available
except at about the same price as the whole TV's total current value.

Does anyone recognise this unit and have any idea where to get one
please?. Seems to be available in Hong Kong where I cant believe it
would cost all that much.

I assume the original faulty PSU is not available to you?

If you can get the PSU from the same source as the TV then it should be
repairable - the casing will either be held together with screws or glued
on the seam. Screws are obviously easy, I've found that glued seams on
PSU's will break open if you place a stanley knife blade flat in the seam
and carefully hammer the back of the blade with the PSU placed on the
opposite edge on a sturdy bench or table (usually only breaks the glue
rather than cutting through the seam so unit can be re-glued after repair).

It's usually either the output electrolytics that fail or one of the lower
value startup electrolytics (22uf or 47uf at around 50v near the control IC
on high voltage side), change all even if no sign of distress (bulging
tops).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No, I dont have access to the original one at all: I wonder if there
is any reason why they sell 12/24 v ones for over $100 while others
using their same casing cost as little as $26? They do look an awful
lot like the same units wired differently inside! It cant cost THAT
much to manufacture these can it? And they cant be basing their price
on the new cost where the TV is now 4-5 years old?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:57:20 -0700, DManzaluni wrote
(in article
):

No, I dont have access to the original one at all: I wonder if there
is any reason why they sell 12/24 v ones for over $100 while others
using their same casing cost as little as $26? They do look an awful
lot like the same units wired differently inside! It cant cost THAT
much to manufacture these can it? And they cant be basing their price
on the new cost where the TV is now 4-5 years old?

Pricing is all about demand, based on mfg. quantity and uniqueness (ie, how
many TV mfr's buy this model of adapter?). Millions of this model = cheap.
Thousands = expensive.

It's rarely based "how much does it cost to make it?". The answer is always
"pennies".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 3, 2:20*pm, notme wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:57:20 -0700, DManzaluni wrote
(in article
):

No, I dont have access to the original one at all: I wonder if there
is any reason why they sell 12/24 v ones for over $100 while others
using their same casing cost as little as $26? They do look an awful
lot like the same units wired differently inside! * It cant cost THAT
much to manufacture these can it? And they cant be basing their price
on the new cost where the TV is now 4-5 years old?

Pricing is all about demand, based on mfg. quantity and uniqueness (ie, how
many TV mfr's buy this model of adapter?). Millions of this model = cheap.
Thousands = expensive.

It's rarely based "how much does it cost to make it?". The answer is always
"pennies".

Yes, obviously, but five years on, what distributor would want to
hold on to stocks of them if someone e-mails him asking to buy one of
them for a more reasonable price? Surely it is only worth pennies now?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 18:40:38 -0700 (PDT), DManzaluni
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Aug 3, 2:20*pm, notme wrote:
[...]

I ask the same question of suppliers who hang on to CD/DVD laser
assemblies costing hundreds of dollars.

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 00:18:03 -0700, Franc Zabkar wrote
(in article ):

I ask the same question of suppliers who hang on to CD/DVD laser
assemblies costing hundreds of dollars.

Price follows inverted bell curve: High demand, high price. Moderate demand,
low price. Low demand (scarcity), high price.

Yes, the supplier could easily override this model and give it to you at a
reasonable price, but then again he could find someone who didn't quibble
with his asking price. He's gambling...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

notme wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 00:18:03 -0700, Franc Zabkar wrote
(in article ):

I ask the same question of suppliers who hang on to CD/DVD laser
assemblies costing hundreds of dollars.

Price follows inverted bell curve: High demand, high price. Moderate

demand,
low price. Low demand (scarcity), high price.

Yes, the supplier could easily override this model and give it to you at a
reasonable price, but then again he could find someone who didn't quibble
with his asking price. He's gambling...

I'm aware of the operationasl UK base of a large USA company that had this
policy

Every 1 or 2 years, divide the stock levels of each of the largest
component/numerous stocked small item spares by 2 , sell off half at auction
and double the price of the remaining.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Every 1 or 2 years, divide the stock levels of each of the largest
component/numerous stocked small item spares by 2 , sell off half at auction
and double the price of the remaining.

Why would any normal company want to create low priced competitors for
their increasingly overpriced product out of their own stock every two
years when they presumably had a monopoly on the product in the first
place?

Better the Rolex model: Assume your customers are unbelievably stupid
and will rush to buy your product however you treat them. Then stop
selling parts for or repairing your watches every time you bring out
any second change to any model; on the basis that if you refuse to
repair your product, with something like a Rolex, the lemmings will go
straight out and buy a new one when they break the old one.