Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Underfloor heating question

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor
tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

new "wet" underfloor heating laid. [...] cut through the tubing Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

pex-al-pex fittings are available

http://www.thefloorheatingwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Pipe-Repair-Couplings.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/18 13:16, Graham. wrote:

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor
tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

it is at least dig enough space out to put a coupling in and then bury
it all again

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/18 13:16, Graham. wrote:

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor
tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

it is at least dig enough space out to put a coupling in and then bury
it all again

Further information: It seems it was just above the floor, involving
some expanding foam that presumably he was tidying up.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Further information: It seems it was just above the floor, involving
some expanding foam that presumably he was tidying up.

Suggests maybe that the screed wasn't deep enough to start with, if not
deep enough for pipe alone, won't be deep enough for a repair coupling,
what's below?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 13:16, Graham. wrote:

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor
tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

Reminds me of the time many years ago when a mate of mine wanted to put
a carpet edging strip in a doorway. Victorian flat conversion in
Bristol, concrete ground floor presumably replacing rotten timber floor.
Drilling to screw and plug, went straight through his mains water
supply, less than an inch below the surface. There was only just room to
get in a compression fitting, I think I had to "trench" a few inches in
each direction so that I could distort the copper downwards a little.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 14:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham. wrote:

Further information: It seems it was just above the floor, involving
some expanding foam that presumably he was tidying up.

Suggests maybe that the screed wasn't deep enough to start with, if not
deep enough for pipe alone, won't be deep enough for a repair coupling,
what's below?

I read it as where the pipe comes out of the screed. In my case, the
pipes come curve up and come out about 45° inside a cupboard and
continue curving to the vertical.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

I read it as where the pipe comes out of the screed. In my case, the
pipes come curve up and come out about 45° inside a cupboard and
continue curving to the vertical.

If so, I'd expect to chop the screed back until where the pipe was
horizontal, to avoid having the repair coupler under any strain on the
curve, best to have it buried in replacement screed after re-pressure
testing ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 13:16, Graham. wrote:

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor
tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

Whatever make the system is .. there will be a repair joint for the pipes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/18 14:04, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham. wrote:

Further information: It seems it was just above the floor, involving
some expanding foam that presumably he was tidying up.

Suggests maybe that the screed wasn't deep enough to start with, if not
deep enough for pipe alone, won't be deep enough for a repair coupling,
what's below?

Phoe would help - but it could be where the pipes emerge,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 14:02, Graham. wrote:
On 03/04/18 13:16, Graham. wrote:

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor
tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

it is at least dig enough space out to put a coupling in and then bury
it all again

Further information: It seems it was just above the floor, involving
some expanding foam that presumably he was tidying up.

In that case, you can use a push-fit coupler. I personally wouldn't be
happy with any joints *under* the screed 'cos it's a right pain if they
ever decide to leak.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/18 13:16, Graham. wrote:

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor
tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

Reminds me of a friend having a kitchen done professionally.
The electrician had laid the electric heating element on the
floor ready for the tiler to tile over. The way the tiler
grouted was to bang the trowel edge into the gaps to get the
pointing in, and, you guessed it, he cut through the element
at probably every tile edge. Up it all came again...

How one trade likes to bugger up the work of another...

it is at least dig enough space out to put a coupling in and then bury
it all again

Further information: It seems it was just above the floor, involving
some expanding foam that presumably he was tidying up.

In that case, you can use a push-fit coupler. I personally wouldn't be
happy with any joints *under* the screed 'cos it's a right pain if they
ever decide to leak.

Personally I wouldn't use a pushfit coupler in concrete.
The O-rings have a rated life of 25 years, although I've
had them fail after 10. Also, the expansion and contraction
cycling combined with a pushfit coupler that will and up
firmly immovable in the concrete might result in stresses
the seals won't handle long term.

I would use a standard brass compression fitting with pipe
inserts, and I might wrap it in denso tape to protect from the
concrete (and to give it a bit of padding).

(Can't help thinking there should be a sort of solvent
weld fix for this where you push the two ends into an
oversized length, painted with a suitable solvent.
Electrofusion weld would be another alternative if there
isn't a suitable solvent for the plastic.)

Remember to ensure system is pressurised to max normal
working pressure when laying the replacement concrete.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

On 04/04/2018 15:29, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
On 03/04/18 13:16, Graham. wrote:

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying floor
tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again job?

Reminds me of a friend having a kitchen done professionally.
The electrician had laid the electric heating element on the
floor ready for the tiler to tile over. The way the tiler
grouted was to bang the trowel edge into the gaps to get the
pointing in, and, you guessed it, he cut through the element
at probably every tile edge. Up it all came again...

How one trade likes to bugger up the work of another...

'Twas on a Monday morning the gas man came to call ...

Flanders and Swann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
On 03/04/18 13:16, Graham. wrote:

I only have the bare bones of this from my daughter at present.

She has new "wet" underfloor heating laid. The tiller was laying
floor tiles on the screed,, and cut through the tubing (angle
grinder?).

Is this repairable, or is it a break up the floor and start again
job?

Reminds me of a friend having a kitchen done professionally. The
electrician had laid the electric heating element on the floor ready for
the tiler to tile over. The way the tiler grouted was to bang the trowel
edge into the gaps to get the pointing in, and, you guessed it, he cut
through the element at probably every tile edge. Up it all came again...

How one trade likes to bugger up the work of another...

"It all makes work for the working man to do" - Flanders & Swann

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England