Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dormer - cost - piece of string calculation

Looking at terraced houses (for a friend).

Generally four stories from basement to loft room Some have a dormer,
others just have a roof light.

I was wondering what the very approximate cost might be to add a dormer.
Piece of string, I know.

No dimensions on the listing I am viewing, but the room width is unlikely
to be more than 18 feet and more likely to be less (2 bedroom). Looking at
the picture a single bed goes about half way across the room, so possibly
12 feet.

Assume a dormer of 8-10 feet wide for starters.

Next issue - there is a roof support half way up. I assume that that could
be cut because most of the roof is going. Otherwise that limits the height.

Next issue - can all this be done from the inside (like a roof light)? If
not, there is a LOT of scaffolding needed to get up 4 storeys including
the loft room. Then again it looks as though the soil pipe will need
moving (they seem to lie them on the roof up to the apex - presumably to
clear the various windows in the loft rooms).

Leeds area, if this helps.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 15:05:04 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
[...]

How are you going to put slates or tiles & leadwork onto your new roof structure from the inside?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
[...]

Pretty impossible to make a good job of altering the tiling or slates etc
from inside after fitting a dormer. Looking at some round here, it's
difficult enough with a Velux.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Put up the frame, tile and lead all round, then fit the panels and windows?

Roof on last, perhaps? Would have to be fibreglass, I suppose, unless you
had a very athletic roofer.

There might be a way to design a kit for fitting from the inside, but no
doubt working from the outside would be easier.

It was prompted by the ability to fit a roof light from the inside.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 15:05, David wrote:
Looking at terraced houses (for a friend).

Generally four stories from basement to loft room Some have a dormer,
others just have a roof light.

I was wondering what the very approximate cost might be to add a dormer.
Piece of string, I know.

When I converted a loft about 15 years ago, I estimated the additional
cost of building a front dormer instead of just roof windows would be
something like £2 - £2.5K extra. (and at the time would have needed
planning permission). If you are starting from scratch however then I
would expect it to cost considerably more, although you ought to be able
to DIY for under £10K I would have thought.

No dimensions on the listing I am viewing, but the room width is unlikely
to be more than 18 feet and more likely to be less (2 bedroom). Looking at
the picture a single bed goes about half way across the room, so possibly
12 feet.

Assume a dormer of 8-10 feet wide for starters.

Next issue - there is a roof support half way up. I assume that that could
be cut because most of the roof is going. Otherwise that limits the height.

Depends on how much roof you are replacing with (a) dormer(s) - but
generally purlin's can be removed if the roof they are supporting is no
longer there, or you can find a way of replacing their function - say
with a dwarf wall.

If you look at:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/superstructure.htm

The front roof pitch was staying in place, but the purlin needed to go,
so it was replaced with a wall.

The rear dormer basically replaced that entire side of the roof, so once
its roof was built, I just took a chainsaw to the roof on that side
including its purlin!

Next issue - can all this be done from the inside (like a roof light)? If

No, not sensibly.

not, there is a LOT of scaffolding needed to get up 4 storeys including
the loft room. Then again it looks as though the soil pipe will need
moving (they seem to lie them on the roof up to the apex - presumably to
clear the various windows in the loft rooms).

Leeds area, if this helps.

I think you will find gravity works much the same at that latitude ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:22:32 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

snip

If you look at:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/superstructure.htm

The front roof pitch was staying in place, but the purlin needed to go,
so it was replaced with a wall.

The rear dormer basically replaced that entire side of the roof, so once
its roof was built, I just took a chainsaw to the roof on that side
including its purlin!

snip

Thanks for the fascinating link.

Fascinating because that looks like a '30s 3 bedroom semi very similar to
ours in the roof structure. [Apologies if it is 4 or more bedrooms.]

Straightening the roof gives a lot more space.

Making me wonder idly if it would be worth it to make the roof suitable
for solar panels; not having a lot of roof makes the number of panels you
can mount uneconomic (or it was many years back when we last looked).

However that was then (with a massive FIT payment) and now it is unlikely
to cost in.

We don't need any extra space, either.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

ok, then you'd just be working on the outside without scaffold. If diying you don't have to have scaff AIUI, it's just safer.

NT

Roof on last, perhaps? Would have to be fibreglass, I suppose, unless you
had a very athletic roofer.

There might be a way to design a kit for fitting from the inside, but no
doubt working from the outside would be easier.

It was prompted by the ability to fit a roof light from the inside.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 19:06, David wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:22:32 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

snip

If you look at:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/superstructure.htm

The front roof pitch was staying in place, but the purlin needed to go,
so it was replaced with a wall.

The rear dormer basically replaced that entire side of the roof, so once
its roof was built, I just took a chainsaw to the roof on that side
including its purlin!

snip

Thanks for the fascinating link.

Fascinating because that looks like a '30s 3 bedroom semi very similar to
ours in the roof structure. [Apologies if it is 4 or more bedrooms.]

Yup it was a 3 bed when I started, and 5 when I was done ;-)

Straightening the roof gives a lot more space.

Indeed.

Making me wonder idly if it would be worth it to make the roof suitable
for solar panels;

Probably not.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You can buy a GRP dormer, which is put in place using a crane in NL. The
total job takes less than a day.

Any cost information?

Cheers

Dave R