Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Dormer - cost - piece of string calculation

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 07:15:57 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 15:05:04 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google)
wrote:
Looking at terraced houses (for a friend).

Generally four stories from basement to loft room Some have a dormer,
others just have a roof light.

I was wondering what the very approximate cost might be to add a
dormer. Piece of string, I know.

No dimensions on the listing I am viewing, but the room width is
unlikely to be more than 18 feet and more likely to be less (2
bedroom). Looking at the picture a single bed goes about half way
across the room, so possibly 12 feet.

Assume a dormer of 8-10 feet wide for starters.

Next issue - there is a roof support half way up. I assume that that
could be cut because most of the roof is going. Otherwise that limits
the height.

Next issue - can all this be done from the inside (like a roof light)?
If not, there is a LOT of scaffolding needed to get up 4 storeys
including the loft room. Then again it looks as though the soil pipe
will need moving (they seem to lie them on the roof up to the apex -
presumably to clear the various windows in the loft rooms).

Leeds area, if this helps.

Cheers

Dave R

How are you going to put slates or tiles & leadwork onto your new roof
structure from the inside?

NT

Put up the frame, tile and lead all round, then fit the panels and windows?

Roof on last, perhaps? Would have to be fibreglass, I suppose, unless you
had a very athletic roofer.

There might be a way to design a kit for fitting from the inside, but no
doubt working from the outside would be easier.

It was prompted by the ability to fit a roof light from the inside.

Cheers

Dave R

---