Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Dormer - cost - piece of string calculation

On 27/03/2018 15:05, David wrote:
Looking at terraced houses (for a friend).

Generally four stories from basement to loft room Some have a dormer,
others just have a roof light.

I was wondering what the very approximate cost might be to add a dormer.
Piece of string, I know.

When I converted a loft about 15 years ago, I estimated the additional
cost of building a front dormer instead of just roof windows would be
something like £2 - £2.5K extra. (and at the time would have needed
planning permission). If you are starting from scratch however then I
would expect it to cost considerably more, although you ought to be able
to DIY for under £10K I would have thought.

No dimensions on the listing I am viewing, but the room width is unlikely
to be more than 18 feet and more likely to be less (2 bedroom). Looking at
the picture a single bed goes about half way across the room, so possibly
12 feet.

Assume a dormer of 8-10 feet wide for starters.

Next issue - there is a roof support half way up. I assume that that could
be cut because most of the roof is going. Otherwise that limits the height.

Depends on how much roof you are replacing with (a) dormer(s) - but
generally purlin's can be removed if the roof they are supporting is no
longer there, or you can find a way of replacing their function - say
with a dwarf wall.

If you look at:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/superstructure.htm

The front roof pitch was staying in place, but the purlin needed to go,
so it was replaced with a wall.

The rear dormer basically replaced that entire side of the roof, so once
its roof was built, I just took a chainsaw to the roof on that side
including its purlin!

Next issue - can all this be done from the inside (like a roof light)? If

No, not sensibly.

not, there is a LOT of scaffolding needed to get up 4 storeys including
the loft room. Then again it looks as though the soil pipe will need
moving (they seem to lie them on the roof up to the apex - presumably to
clear the various windows in the loft rooms).

Leeds area, if this helps.

I think you will find gravity works much the same at that latitude ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.