Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dormer - cost - piece of string calculation

In article ,
David wrote:
Looking at terraced houses (for a friend).

Generally four stories from basement to loft room Some have a dormer,
others just have a roof light.

I was wondering what the very approximate cost might be to add a dormer.
Piece of string, I know.

No dimensions on the listing I am viewing, but the room width is
unlikely to be more than 18 feet and more likely to be less (2
bedroom). Looking at the picture a single bed goes about half way
across the room, so possibly 12 feet.

Assume a dormer of 8-10 feet wide for starters.

Next issue - there is a roof support half way up. I assume that that
could be cut because most of the roof is going. Otherwise that limits
the height.

Next issue - can all this be done from the inside (like a roof light)?
If not, there is a LOT of scaffolding needed to get up 4 storeys
including the loft room. Then again it looks as though the soil pipe
will need moving (they seem to lie them on the roof up to the apex -
presumably to clear the various windows in the loft rooms).

Leeds area, if this helps.

Pretty impossible to make a good job of altering the tiling or slates etc
from inside after fitting a dormer. Looking at some round here, it's
difficult enough with a Velux.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.