Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Dormer - cost - piece of string calculation

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 17:22:32 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

snip

If you look at:

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/superstructure.htm

The front roof pitch was staying in place, but the purlin needed to go,
so it was replaced with a wall.

The rear dormer basically replaced that entire side of the roof, so once
its roof was built, I just took a chainsaw to the roof on that side
including its purlin!

snip

Thanks for the fascinating link.

Fascinating because that looks like a '30s 3 bedroom semi very similar to
ours in the roof structure. [Apologies if it is 4 or more bedrooms.]

Straightening the roof gives a lot more space.

Making me wonder idly if it would be worth it to make the roof suitable
for solar panels; not having a lot of roof makes the number of panels you
can mount uneconomic (or it was many years back when we last looked).

However that was then (with a massive FIT payment) and now it is unlikely
to cost in.

We don't need any extra space, either.

Cheers

Dave R