Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What size string for a string trimmer?

What size string for a string trimmer?

Somewhere I got the idea that each string trimmer was designed for a
certain diameterr, but I have two on which I can find no
recommendation. Maybe on one it was scuffed off when it was hit on
the ground to feed more string, but I don't think so.

Is there a problem using string too thin? Or too thick? How do I
know what to use?

Thanks.

(I'm either planning for next year or late for last year.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 02:03:54 -0400, mm
wrote:

What size string for a string trimmer?

Somewhere I got the idea that each string trimmer was designed for a
certain diameterr, but I have two on which I can find no
recommendation. Maybe on one it was scuffed off when it was hit on
the ground to feed more string, but I don't think so.

Is there a problem using string too thin? Or too thick? How do I
know what to use?

Thanks.

(I'm either planning for next year or late for last year.)

BTW, I've googled them both already with no success, but the ones I
have are a black and decker st6000, and a Sears 358.798020 . They are
both electric, running off cords (the B&D seems to make one with the
same model # that runs on batteries!) Although SearsPartsDirect is
closed all night due to scheduled maintenance until 7:00ET, but I
doubt it will give more than the same part list that other sites copy
from its data, like with the Kenmore refrigerator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

light duty / medium duty string trimmers use smaller diameter line

I'm thinking .065", that's what my ancient weedwackers (electric) use

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...9-20/ref=nosim

note part number

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...9-20/ref=nosim

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 1:03*am, mm wrote:
What size string for a string trimmer?

Somewhere I got the idea that each string trimmer was designed for a
certain diameterr, but I have two on which I can find no
recommendation. *Maybe on one it was scuffed off when it was hit on
the ground to feed more string, but I don't think so.

Is there a problem using string too thin? *Or too thick? * How do I
know what to use? *

Thanks.

(I'm either planning for next year or late for last year.)

The more owerfulll the unit the thicker the string, my gas Echo it
might be .130, its not auto fed, my Sthil if I use thicker than stated
it wont feed, thicker string lasts longer instead of breaking all the
time and wasting string but you can only use it so thick , then it
wont feed right
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

What size string for a string trimmer?
. . .
Is there a problem using string too thin? Or too thick? How do I
know what to use?

You should use the thickest that will auto-feed on demand.
Thinner string both erodes faster in use and is more prone
to jam on the supply reel.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Don Phillipson wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

What size string for a string trimmer?
. . .
Is there a problem using string too thin? Or too thick? How do I
know what to use?

You should use the thickest that will auto-feed on demand.
Thinner string both erodes faster in use and is more prone
to jam on the supply reel.

OTOH, for light grass, etc., instead of heavy weeds, it can cut faster
and cleaner...

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

[...]

They don't make it easy because they want you to buy a replacement spool.

I suspect the suggestion by bok is about right (.060, .065). If it feeds it
is fine is also good advice.

Of course if you can find a tiny fragment in your yard a quick trip to the
BORG will allow you to match the existing and new sizes.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2010 1:03 AM, mm wrote:
What size string for a string trimmer?

Somewhere I got the idea that each string trimmer was designed for a
certain diameterr, but I have two on which I can find no
recommendation. Maybe on one it was scuffed off when it was hit on
the ground to feed more string, but I don't think so.

Is there a problem using string too thin? Or too thick? How do I
know what to use?

Thanks.

(I'm either planning for next year or late for last year.)

use the thickest that will fit in the hole you have to thread it
through. (usually one size bigger than what it came with). Thinner
will just last a shorter time.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 11:49*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 10/31/2010 1:03 AM, mm wrote:

What size string for a string trimmer?

Somewhere I got the idea that each string trimmer was designed for a
certain diameterr, but I have two on which I can find no
recommendation. *Maybe on one it was scuffed off when it was hit on
the ground to feed more string, but I don't think so.

Is there a problem using string too thin? *Or too thick? * How do I
know what to use?

Thanks.

(I'm either planning for next year or late for last year.)

use the thickest that will fit in the hole you have to thread it
through. *(usually one size bigger than what it came with). *Thinner
will just last a shorter time.

--
Steve Barker

No one has suggested looking at the booklet that same with the
trimmer, commonly known as the owners manual. Try it. You just might
find something there. OR, try the manufacturers website or maybe even
a phone number in the manual or on the web site, or maybe a local
dealer of the same brand of trimmer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2010 2:46 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Oct 31, 11:49 am, Steve wrote:
On 10/31/2010 1:03 AM, mm wrote:

[...]

Valid advice if you bought the trimmer new, and can find the manual, or
it still has a legible data plate to tell the model number. For those of
us that buy lawn tools at garage sales for ten cents on the dollar, not
so much. I know my electric trimmer is a Toro, but can find no trace of
a model number on it. For the couple hours a year that I use it, the ten
bucks I paid was the most I was willing to invest. I think I am using
the HF 'universal' string in it at the moment.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
What size string for a string trimmer?

Somewhere I got the idea that each string trimmer was designed for a
certain diameterr, but I have two on which I can find no
recommendation. Maybe on one it was scuffed off when it was hit on
the ground to feed more string, but I don't think so.

Is there a problem using string too thin? Or too thick? How do I
know what to use?

Thanks.

(I'm either planning for next year or late for last year.)

RTFM. Too thin, and it doesn't last more than three seconds. Too thick and
it burns out the motor.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Oct 31, 11:49 am, Steve wrote:
On 10/31/2010 1:03 AM, mm wrote:

[...]

That's right. I know the model numbers but there are no manuals on
the web, even for Sears and B&D. Now that it's not Saturday night and
Searspartsdirect.com is running, it has a diagram and substitutes for
most of the parts, and it has a spool with string available, but
Colbyt is probably right, they dont' want to tell me the size.

I don't know where I got the idea that size was so narrowly defined.
Probably from the manual for the first one I bought.

I know my electric trimmer is a Toro, but can find no trace of
a model number on it. For the couple hours a year that I use it, the ten
bucks I paid was the most I was willing to invest. I think I am using
the HF 'universal' string in it at the moment.

Universal string is good. You can use it for macrame and yoyos and
marionettes and string theory, everything really.

Thanks all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Oct 31, 11:49 am, Steve *wrote:
On 10/31/2010 1:03 AM, mm wrote:

[...]

==
Most smaller B & D take 0.065 gauge string.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Oct 31, 11:49 am, Steve *wrote:
On 10/31/2010 1:03 AM, mm wrote:

[...]

Okey dokey. I'm ready to go on two of them now. I may test them this
evening.

Thanks.
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mm, DavidK wrote:
NOPSAMmm2005 wrote:

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 02:03:54 -0400, mm
BTW, I've googled them both already with no success, but the ones I
have are a black and decker st6000, and a Sears 358.798020 . They are
both electric, running off cords (the B&D seems to make one with the
same model # that runs on batteries!) Although SearsPartsDirect is
closed all night due to scheduled maintenance until 7:00ET, but I
doubt it will give more than the same part list that other sites copy
from its data, like with the Kenmore refrigerator.

I realize this is nearly four years too late, but I was trying to
determine the line size for my Sears /Craftsman 1/4 Horse Power Electric
Weedwacker, model 378.798020 (12" Cutting Path) and was disappointed to
see that the Sears site no longer had Owner's manuals available (most
manufacturers offer PDFs of the manuals for free). I dug around and found
that I had kept the manual (received in 1988). This model takes .065"
diameter line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DavidK wrote:
replying to mm, DavidK wrote:
NOPSAMmm2005 wrote:

[...]

Hi,
MY B&D 20V battery operated one takes 0.06" on a spool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 18:44:02 +0000, DavidK
wrote:

replying to mm, DavidK wrote:
NOPSAMmm2005 wrote:

[...]

Did you know that "mm" changed his nym in the past four years?

He will still see your comments here, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to mm, DavidK wrote:
NOPSAMmm2005 wrote:

[...]

But not too much. I'm still mm.

He will still see your comments here, though.

Yes I did.

And I appreciate the help. I was trying to remember what all had
happened since then....... But I can't. ;-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DavidK, DeniseN wrote:
Believe it or not. I have one too and it's still working 30 years later.
Thanks for this info because I was looking for what diameter line it takes and
was having a dickens of a time finding it. Your post was the only one with the
answer. You rock!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-601411-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sigh.

I can't believe I'm going to reply to a 10 year old thread that had an obvious answer back then.

But, for what it's worth:

My string trimmer is a light duty corded model. So of course it takes .065.. Doh. They all do.

But like a lot of string trimmers the auto feed is broken. Now, I can manually thread a bit of .065 into it, but it wears out right away. So I take a short piece of .095, tie a knot in it, and run it out one of the holes. The light duty trimmer runs fine with a piece of .095, and when it wears down too short I just stick another piece in. Yeah, it's a pain, but I only have a little trimming to do.

String Trimmer Question benick[_2_] Home Repair 20 May 20th 10 04:25 AM
String Trimmer line Roy Metalworking 5 May 25th 06 03:16 AM
String Trimmer - String Replacement Device nr Home Repair 1 November 30th 05 02:45 PM
Rewinding started string spring on Ryobi string trimmer any tips? BoborAnn Home Repair 0 June 6th 05 04:52 AM
string trimmer repair Jim Talley Home Repair 1 May 21st 05 11:34 PM