Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Well that pot hole has been fixed then

FFS

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Pothole.jpg

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been fixed
properly.
--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking.

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/03/2018 10:13, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking.

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac ...

Probably the same bloke that painted up to front and back of the parked
up car with the yellow lines and never came back to finish the job off.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ellowlines.jpg

I assume that these double yellow lines are unenforceable.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking.

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac ...

I'm not sure what they use for surfacing roads these days, but my impression
is that potholes are becoming more an more common. Near me there is a trunk
A road which is managed by the Highways Authority, rather than the local
council. That developed a series of potholes - for locals it became a memory
test to remember the sequence of them and which way you needed to steer to
avoid either clipping the kerb or going over the centre line. Those were
patched several times but after a few weeks most of the tarmac had some out
and we were back to square one. This is on a road which gets a lot of heavy
traffic so they should have used a suitable repair.

They *can* get it right. When a lorry caught fire and melted a large patch
of the road surface, the road was repaired overnight by an emergency team,
and that bit of road is still as good as new after five years.

I think the problem is that they try to patch too small an area and don't
manage to stick the new tarmac sufficiently well to the existing surface, so
it comes out again. At the very least, they need to dribble tar around the
border between old and new to act as a seal to prevent water seeping into
the crack and doing the old freeze/thaw thing.

Of course you can't plan for idiots. There was a road in Scarborough along
the seafront which was newly surfaced. The local lads in their souped-up
cars like to parade up and down late and night, and then test their 0-60
acceleration. During a planned meet of car enthusiasts (all approved by the
police and the local council), one member decided to do wheelspins and
destroyed a large area of the surface. The organisers of the meeting were
appalled at this, and did not hesitate to shop his identity to the police.
There was talk of charging him the repair cost of the road...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-41686558

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/18 10:11, ARW wrote:
FFS

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Pothole.jpg

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been fixed
properly.

Looks like the road down from the station here!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking.

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac

Probably the same bloke that painted up to front and back of the parked
up car with the yellow lines and never came back to finish the job off.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ellowlines.jpg

I assume that these double yellow lines are unenforceable.

Should nip along with a can of yellow floor paint and stick a couple of
end bars to complete it
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/03/2018 10:51, Tim Watts wrote:
On 24/03/18 10:11, ARW wrote:
FFS

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Pothole.jpg

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave
them a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks
ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been
fixed properly.

Looks like the road down from the station here!

And this in a minor road that was resurfaced less than 8 years ago.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can do better than that, but no pictures. its in a dead end close called
The Retreat in Surbiton in Surrey. its been there for five years and is the
result of a botched job by the then called EDF Energy new feed to a
building. The folk at the council claim they do not know where it is having
sent out people to look, well according to my spies, it got painted by
somebody in blue paint about 2 years ago, and nothing has been done since. I
spoke to the council just after Christmas and they claimed it was the
contractors issue not theirs, to which I pointed out that EDF no longer
handle road works its London Power Networks now who I doubt even have
records for this hole. They just told me they would look into it.
Now most of the residents in that road know its there and have moaned
several cab firms have reported it.

In the end I can see the cable being damaged and a big bang occurring, at
which time London power networks will be asked to fix it.
Have we really come down to this lark of its not my hole guv?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARW" wrote in message
FFS

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Pothole.jpg

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them a
bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been fixed
properly.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/03/2018 10:44, NY wrote:

They *can* get it right.

I started reading this link, but gave up, as it's rather lengthy.

http://www.ukroadsliaisongroup.org/d...703C6A36E7C811

The short story is that it can be harder to repair potholes than you'd
expect. One reason is that there may be inadequate foundations, which is
why the pothole appeared in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, Hot boxing seems to be whatever the council use these days. However
there are some junctions between TFL roads and Kingstons roads where the
person pulling out often needs to use a lot of power to get to the right
side of the road as no sod will let them out and guess wheat? The bit of
side road where they all hit the accelerator is breaking up.
Brian

--
----- -

"NY" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave
them a bollocking.

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac

Probably the same bloke that painted up to front and back of the parked
up car with the yellow lines and never came back to finish the job off.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ellowlines.jpg

I assume that these double yellow lines are unenforceable.

Should nip along with a can of yellow floor paint and stick a couple of
end bars to complete it

And, to be really naughty, add some kerb bars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
FFS

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Pothole.jpg

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been fixed
properly.
--
Adam

Hi Adam

There was a Facebook post this morning showing a "crew" from Hull
City Council working on a hole.
The guys gathered around watching we

Human Resources Manager, Marketing Manager, Logistics Manager,
Project Manager, Technology Manager, IT Manager, Health and
Safety Manager, Business Analyst, P R Manager and Product
Developer.

The guy doing the digging was "Bloke from Poland".

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 10:11:03 +0000, ARW wrote:

FFS

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Pothole.jpg

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been fixed
properly.

As with all such cludges, carried out by Splodgitt, Bodgitt and Scarper
(very) Ltd.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2018 12:10, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 10:44:34 +0000, NY wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

[...]

I think one cause is the force of HGV wheels turning when manoeuvring
while stationary. They just start digging a pit and then water and ice
rip it to shreds.

They should ban power steering. Especially on cars. Wimps.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , briang1
@blueyonder.co.uk says...

... They just told me they would look into it ...

--

Terry

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 10:11:06 AM UTC, ARW wrote:
FFS

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Pothole.jpg

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been fixed
properly.
--
Adam

Call that a pothole... Around here they are a good 4" deep and will easily puncture a tyre.

Come to think of it there is a whole stretch of the A27 (a major trunk road - pretty much a motorway) where the current tarmac surface is delaminating from the concrete old surface underneath it and nothing has been done about it for years (someone counted 130 pot holes recently)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/18 11:24, wrote:
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 10:11:06 AM UTC, ARW wrote:
FFS

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Pothole.jpg

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave them
a bollocking. The darker stuff higher up was laid down two weeks ago.

If you are blind then it a picture of a pot hole that has not been fixed
properly.
--
Adam

Call that a pothole... Around here they are a good 4" deep and will easily puncture a tyre.

I destroyed £1000 quid of alloy and tyre in a pothole once.

Come to think of it there is a whole stretch of the A27 (a major trunk road - pretty much a motorway) where the current tarmac surface is delaminating from the concrete old surface underneath it and nothing has been done about it for years (someone counted 130 pot holes recently)

Year ago when I used to commute to Brussels a section of raid outside
Calais was missing 'Chausseé Deformé'...

two years later I went by the same route. It was still missing.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

ARW wrote:

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave
them
a bollocking.

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac

Probably the same bloke that painted up to front and back of the parked up
car with the yellow lines and never came back to finish the job off.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Yellowlines.jpg

He should have painted over the car.

like this?

http://media.techeblog.com/images/yo...e-job-fail.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

ARW wrote:

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave
them
a bollocking.

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac

Probably the same bloke that painted up to front and back of the parked up
car with the yellow lines and never came back to finish the job off.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Yellowlines.jpg

He should have painted over the car.

like this?

http://media.techeblog.com/images/yo...e-job-fail.jpg

Assuming the lines are real and not photoshopped onto the car, then
yes. That'll learn the ****er.

Too thin, too close together. Photoshop gets my vote.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 30 March 2018 22:37:14 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

ARW wrote:

That is the councils second attempt after I phoned them up and gave
them
a bollocking.

Looks like they only sent a bloke with a single bag of cold-lay tarmac

Probably the same bloke that painted up to front and back of the parked up
car with the yellow lines and never came back to finish the job off.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:Yellowlines.jpg

He should have painted over the car.

like this?

http://media.techeblog.com/images/yo...e-job-fail.jpg

Assuming the lines are real and not photoshopped onto the car, then
yes. That'll learn the ****er.

Too thin, too close together. Photoshop gets my vote.

Tim

also the bucket with paint transfer wheel used could not do that job.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 31 March 2018 10:53:31 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/03/18 01:51, tabbypurr wrote:

also the bucket with paint transfer wheel used could not do that job.

And melted polymer lining paint is probably not easy to apply with a
brush. Had work is usually done by pouring a metal can of it into a
metal square form on a stick and moving the form as you pour to paint
the line.

That's done for small things like parking markings. Long road yellow lines are done with a wheel that indirectly runs in a trough of paint. It's wheeled along.

There is a flame-on tape version, but I suspect the car owner and us
would notice the burnt paint and bare metal a foot wither side of the
lines!!!

possibly I've never seen that stuff used. I think it's chosen more for complex logos where using a box would be tricky or fail-prone.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://media.techeblog.com/images/yo...e-job-fail.jpg

Assuming the lines are real and not photoshopped onto the car, then
yes. That'll learn the ****er.

Too thin, too close together. Photoshop gets my vote.

Tim

also the bucket with paint transfer wheel used could not do that job.

The colour does not pass over the windscreen wiper, I reckon it could be
yellow self adhesive tape or yellow ribbon glued on and the wiper was moved
out of the way and then put back.

Hope they used a low tax glue

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 23:14:07 UTC+1, Marland wrote:

http://media.techeblog.com/images/yo...e-job-fail.jpg

Assuming the lines are real and not photoshopped onto the car, then
yes. That'll learn the ****er.

Too thin, too close together. Photoshop gets my vote.

Tim

also the bucket with paint transfer wheel used could not do that job.

The colour does not pass over the windscreen wiper, I reckon it could be
yellow self adhesive tape or yellow ribbon glued on and the wiper was moved
out of the way and then put back.

Hope they used a low tax glue

yes, otherwise it'll be taxing to remove