Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DeWalt SDS drill repair or dump?

My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer.
Someone siad there's a spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill trying to drill down through concrete.
Hpw easy are these things to repair,
or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2018 11:35, George Miles wrote:
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer.
Someone siad there's a spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill trying to drill down through concrete.
Hpw easy are these things to repair,
or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

George

You shouldn't have to push at all, thats the whole point of SDS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2018 11:35, George Miles wrote:
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer.
Someone siad there's a spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill trying to drill down through concrete.
Hpw easy are these things to repair,
or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

George

Nothing to lose by stripping it, if you are used to doing such things. I
expect spares will be available, but may not be cheap and you may have
to pay import duty from USA. Certainly worth trying if it is otherwise
in reasonable condition. (But Chinese ones are cheap and certainly
adequate for my limited needs).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles brought next idea :
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer.
Someone siad there's a spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard
on the drill trying to drill down through concrete.
Hpw easy are these things to repair,
or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

So far as I am aware, there is no spring and you should not need to
push SDS, they work by the bit bouncing off the hammer. The bit ends
are supposed to be cleaned off and greased, before insertion in the
chuck. No grease, means the bounce does not happen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 23/03/2018 13:01, newshound wrote:

Nothing to lose by stripping it, if you are used to doing such things

I agree, if its going to be binned then rip it apart....nothing to lose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer. Someone siad there's a
spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill
trying to drill down through concrete. Hpw easy are these things to
repair, or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

Have you Googled the model for spares? You might also find an exploded
view of it.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 March 2018 11:49:49 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 11:35, George Miles wrote:

My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer.
Someone siad there's a spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill trying to drill down through concrete.
Hpw easy are these things to repair,
or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

George

You shouldn't have to push at all, thats the whole point of SDS.

Hammering doesn't engage until it's pushed. Basic physics says it could hardly be otherwise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
George Miles wrote:
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer. Someone siad there's a
spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill
trying to drill down through concrete. Hpw easy are these things to
repair, or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

Have you Googled the model for spares? You might also find an exploded
view of it.

The only people I found offering parts listing and exploded diagrams for
my Kango turned out to be German.

They do Dewalt but you need to read German:-)

http://www.wzservice.de/query.php?cp_sid=

should get you there.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2018 14:06, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
George Miles brought next idea :
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer.
Someone siad there's a spring inside which I may have broken by
pushing hard on the drill trying to drill down through concrete.
Hpw easy are these things to repair,
or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

So far as I am aware, there is no spring and you should not need to push
SDS, they work by the bit bouncing off the hammer. The bit ends are
supposed to be cleaned off and greased, before insertion in the chuck.
No grease, means the bounce does not happen.

In mine, there is certainly a weak spring which must be overcome first,
but I agree it is nothing like the "wavy washer" system in an ordinary
hammer drill. OP's problem doesn't sound like a broken spring to me,
more likely something clagged up with dead grease and stone dust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 March 2018 21:56:42 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr has brought this to us :

Hammering doesn't engage until it's pushed. Basic physics says it could
hardly be otherwise.

If you push, the hammer action stops. It is a matter of just holding
the drill against what ever you are drilling, which allows the hammer
action to begin.

you must have a different sds drill to my bosch & dewalt.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Define 'holding', though I never found them very good, but then,I'm cack
handed with electric drills!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
has brought this to us :
Hammering doesn't engage until it's pushed. Basic physics says it could
hardly be otherwise.

If you push, the hammer action stops. It is a matter of just holding the
drill against what ever you are drilling, which allows the hammer action
to begin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 March 2018 09:11:20 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARW was thinking very hard :
On 24/03/2018 03:13, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 23 March 2018 21:56:42 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr has brought this to us :

Hammering doesn't engage until it's pushed. Basic physics says it could
hardly be otherwise.

If you push, the hammer action stops. It is a matter of just holding
the drill against what ever you are drilling, which allows the hammer
action to begin.

you must have a different sds drill to my bosch & dewalt.

And my Makitas cordless. No pressure no hammer.

I have two here - an ancient and heavy Aldi fixed speed one, plus a
more recent Lidl item which is variable speed and reverse. Apply a lot
of pressure on either one and the hammer action declines rapidly. I
have used Bosch, DeWalt and numerous other makes - the trick is always
to let them do the work, never push, just steady them gently against
the job. The SDS hammer action is produced by a lump of metal rising
and falling on the end of the bit holder. In all cases, apply too much
pressure on the thing and it can kill the hammer.

Obviously too much force stops it. Obviously no force stops it. Only on usenet do people debate such inane things.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles wrote:
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer. Someone siad there's a
spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill
trying to drill down through concrete. Hpw easy are these things to
repair, or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

Have you Googled the model for spares? You might also find an exploded
view of it.

The only people I found offering parts listing and exploded diagrams for
my Kango turned out to be German.

They do Dewalt but you need to read German:-)

http://www.wzservice.de/query.php?cp_sid=

should get you there.

or in uk

http://www.powertoolspares.com/buy-p...otary-hammers-
sds-plus-spares-and-accessories/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 24/03/2018, Brian Gaff supposed :
Define 'holding', though I never found them very good, but then,I'm cack
handed with electric drills!

Well, you hold the drill at the point where you intend the hole and
apply just a little pressure. Too much and the SDS action fails. It is
not a brute force instrument, or rather one which needs brute force to
be applied, it does the work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , humphrey
writes

George Miles wrote:
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer. Someone siad there's a
spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill
trying to drill down through concrete. Hpw easy are these things to
repair, or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

Have you Googled the model for spares? You might also find an exploded
view of it.

The only people I found offering parts listing and exploded diagrams for
my Kango turned out to be German.

They do Dewalt but you need to read German:-)

http://www.wzservice.de/query.php?cp_sid=

should get you there.

or in uk

http://www.powertoolspares.com/buy-p...otary-hammers-
sds-plus-spares-and-accessories/

They seem to do spares for Kango circular saws! I didn't look far but no
exploded diagrams found.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
George Miles wrote:
My DeWalt SDS drill turns but doesnt hammer. Someone siad there's a
spring inside which I may have broken by pushing hard on the drill
trying to drill down through concrete. Hpw easy are these things to
repair, or shall I keep the plug and lead and dump the rest?

Have you Googled the model for spares? You might also find an exploded
view of it.

Possible on this UK site
https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/bra...nd-parts-c206/

Posted to uk.d-i-y