Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DeWalt SDS drill repair or dump?

On Saturday, 24 March 2018 09:11:20 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARW was thinking very hard :
On 24/03/2018 03:13, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 23 March 2018 21:56:42 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr has brought this to us :

Hammering doesn't engage until it's pushed. Basic physics says it could
hardly be otherwise.

If you push, the hammer action stops. It is a matter of just holding
the drill against what ever you are drilling, which allows the hammer
action to begin.

you must have a different sds drill to my bosch & dewalt.

And my Makitas cordless. No pressure no hammer.

I have two here - an ancient and heavy Aldi fixed speed one, plus a
more recent Lidl item which is variable speed and reverse. Apply a lot
of pressure on either one and the hammer action declines rapidly. I
have used Bosch, DeWalt and numerous other makes - the trick is always
to let them do the work, never push, just steady them gently against
the job. The SDS hammer action is produced by a lump of metal rising
and falling on the end of the bit holder. In all cases, apply too much
pressure on the thing and it can kill the hammer.

Obviously too much force stops it. Obviously no force stops it. Only on usenet do people debate such inane things.

NT