Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT household rubbish

On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 23:50:20 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

And soon you have to store your plastic bottles somewhere and remember
to take them back to Asda so they can waste time and money and diesel
storing and transporting them seperately.

Its possibly worse than that. A couple of reports in the media today
from spokesmen for the recycling industry have indicated that by
removing the higher value recycled materials from roadside collections
will/may make these roadside collections more expensive and/or less
viable. Roadside collectable waste for recycling will be related to low
value waste and the material that currently cannot be recycled for reuse
and is of no value to the recycling plants.

I'm sure that Asda will not want to refund deposits for bottles/cans
purchased elsewhere.

This will be a big problem will we have to present our reciepts to prove we brought the item in that store in order to get the deposit back ?

A friend brought a bottle of lemonade over so he could have a shandy (I had beer) 18p in Tesco for 2 litre bottle, now will I have to take this item back to my local tesco, will my local shop give me back the deposit, doubt it, or will I have to take it back to where it was brought in Maidstone ?

Perhaps not too much of a problem for large chains
of supermarkets but maybe for franchised food stores with large
supermarkets in the neighbourhood.

The more interresting thing to do would be with fast food outlet especailly the chains, you buy your box of chicken for £1.99 but get charged £5 for the box, so £7.99 you can then take your empty box back to the outlet chain and get £5 off your next meal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker posted
On 23/03/2018 10:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

The recycling bin goes out every two weeks

At the moment we get weekly collections of both wheelie bins (I
choose to put them out less frequently) but I gather the collections
are due to alternate between recycling and rubbish later this year
... might bother larger households.

If it is anything like where we are, they'll have a system to cope with
larger housholds.

Our normal system is:

Black bin, 240l - plastic bottles, tins, cans and glass bottles -
collected monthly.

Cans and bottles collected *monthly*?

Glad they don't do that here. By the time they took the empties away
you'd need a JCB to get in our front door.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2018 11:05, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2018 22:17, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Andrew
wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

Only if you carry them with you on the offchance that you might want a
Chinese takeaway, so the food can be dispensed into those instead of a
cardboard box.

I wonder how the people in NZ get round the problem of serving "wet" foods
with sauces in boxes that are not watertight? Waxed paper might work up to a
point, but you'd have to be *very* careful not to crush them and to get the
food home as quickly as possible,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/29/2018 6:11 PM, NY wrote:

I wonder how the people in NZ get round the problem of serving "wet"
foods with sauces in boxes that are not watertight? Waxed paper might
work up to a point, but you'd have to be *very* careful not to crush
them and to get the food home as quickly as possible,

In the US, Chinese takeaway food is in distinctive* cardboard boxes -
the sauces are often provided in individual sealed packets.

* So distinctive, in fact that there is a card game using that design.
It's called 'Takeout', and is available on the US Amazon site.

(Disclaimer - my niece designed the game, and her husband did the
artwork. I am not being paid to plug it, though.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2018 10:50, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

You mean you've not had a Chinese takeaway since then?

I don't have a convenient takeaway. And I can make my own Chinese
(style) food to a limited extent: stir-fry chicken/beef with veg;
chicken and noodles; egg fried rice (with or without chicken).

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

I use loads of them, food storage, screws, etc.
I even have an arduino in one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/18 10:50, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

You mean you've not had a Chinese takeaway since then?

Ours use aluminium boxes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/18 11:04, Marland wrote:

For households with 5 or more residents, a 240l grey bin can be
requested instead of the 120l one. Additional blue and black bins can
also be requested.

That makes our black bag for general waste and clear recycle bag seem
overly complicated.

New Forest by any chance?

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/30/2018 5:53 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
wrote:
On 29/3/2018 18:11, NY wrote:
I wonder how the people in NZ get round the problem of serving "wet"
foods with sauces in boxes that are not watertight? Waxed paper might
work up to a point, but you'd have to be *very* careful not to crush
them and to get the food home as quickly as possible,

In the US, Chinese takeaway food is in distinctive* cardboard boxes -
the sauces are often provided in individual sealed packets.

More single-use plastic, then. And are those boxes sufficiently
watertight? A helping of bean shoots is going to be very wet.

They appear to have some sort of coating - probably thin plastic...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

The recycling bin goes out every two weeks
Â*At the moment we get weekly collections of both wheelie bins (I
chooseÂ* to put them out less frequently) but I gather the collections
are due toÂ* alternate between recycling and rubbish later this year
... might botherÂ* larger households.

If it is anything like where we are, they'll have a system to cope
with larger housholds.

Our normal system is:

Black bin, 240l - plastic bottles, tins, cans and glass bottles -
collected monthly.

Cans and bottles collected *monthly*?

Glad they don't do that here. By the time they took the empties away
you'd need a JCB to get in our front door.

Well here I effectively get plastic and cans collected at best monthly.
Cos I can't be arsed to weaste tax money on collecting a quarter full bin.

Bottles go to the bottle bank

The nearest one is just 'mixed glass' but if I drive 4 miles I can have
a choic of white and colored brown or green...

There is nowhere for the blue bombay gin bottles to go so I just throw
those in the garden of a local Green :-)

Well I would if there were any

Its all complet bollox as everybidy knwos, except millenial snowflajes
- its just virtyue signalling 'eco ' legislation.

I reality the most effective way to recycle is to picvk off amnything
oif enugh value to justifdyu te picking or odf enough posoi9on to
justify it, and then incinerate the lot at very high temperaites in a
flues scrubbed power staion, hopefully sited somwehere where the hot
water can be used to do somethjingg more useful than make fish cosy.

Then use the ash as fertiliser, or bury it.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/18 22:17, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Andrew
wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

waxed boxes.

wax gotta be biodegradable. Bees make it :=)

In fact there are very few hydrocarbons that are not, the organisms to
degrade e.g. PVC just haven't had time or reason to develop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the 1930s, I believe people would take a milk jug shopping to get
milk put on from an urn.

In the 1950s, shipping came in brown ppare bags, or at best cardboard or
cans.

You supplied your won basket or string bag, or wahetver.

Today I have a large plastic storage box in the car that fits nicely in
a supermarket trolley. No more bags at all.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#

Sacks?* They don't even give you bins?

Many terraced houses in the area have little front garden and difficult
access from front to back of property[1].

The waste is collected at lightening speed around my way in order not to
block the roads which only have room for a single traveling vehicle
because cars are parked both sides of the road. Often two men go ahead
of the lorry to collect sacks into single large piles on one side of the
road. As the lorry passes these piles are just thrown into the back.
There is no need to attach bins to the back of the dustcart nor any time
taken to return them.

[1] Most houses were built with narrow back alleys to the rear of the
properties. These proved to be ideal passages for the garden shed
thieves etc. and over time these have been blocked off at the ends
and/or gardens extended to encompass the alley area. I remember a time
around 25 years ago when daytime theft from gardens in my area during
the long school holidays was attributed to gangs of school age kids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiot Alert!

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 11:32:08 +0100, anal_m, an especially retarded
troll-feeding idiot, blabbered again:

Many terraced houses

FLUSH the troll-feeding cretin's usual sick ****

You must be one of the dumbest troll-feeding idiots around here, anal_m! And
don't even DREAM of getting away with it, my newest punching bag! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

You mean you've not had a Chinese takeaway since then?

Ours use aluminium boxes.

Not so useful - especially in a microwave.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

You mean you've not had a Chinese takeaway since then?

I don't have a convenient takeaway. And I can make my own Chinese
(style) food to a limited extent: stir-fry chicken/beef with veg;
chicken and noodles; egg fried rice (with or without chicken).

Why does anyone want to eat that revolting stuff?* I eat British food.

What, like curry and rice?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

You mean you've not had a Chinese takeaway since then?

Ours use aluminium boxes.

Isn't that ****ing expensive?

No they are made from foil pressed to shape with a cardboard lid. You
must have seen them.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why does anyone want to eat that revolting stuff?* I eat British food.

MSG makes them tasty.

Some British "Indian" and "Chinese" dishes are not seen outside of our
shores?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiots Alert!

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 11:38:32 +0100, Max Demian, another troll-feeding idiot,
blabbered:

Why does anyone want to eat that revolting stuff?* I eat British food.

What, like curry and rice?

Or dumb Scottish troll's bait?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 13:43:29 +0100, anal_m, the notorious, troll-feeding
idiot, blabbered:

FLUSH idiot's troll fodder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 11:39:38 +0100, Max Demian, another troll-feeding idiot,
blabbered:

Isn't that ****ing expensive?

No they are made from foil pressed to shape with a cardboard lid. You
must have seen them.

The troll asks and the retard delivers! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Walker
writes
On 29/03/2018 02:12, Fredxx wrote:
On 28/03/2018 23:50, alan_m wrote:

And soon you have to store your plastic bottles somewhere and
remember to take them back to Asda so they can waste time and money
and diesel storing and transporting them seperately.

Its possibly worse than that. A couple of reports in the media today
from spokesmen for the recycling industry have indicated that by
removing the higher value recycled materials from roadside
collections will/may make these roadside collections more expensive
and/or less viable. Roadside collectable waste for recycling will be
related to low value waste and the material that currently cannot be
recycled for reuse and is of no value to the recycling plants.

I'm sure that Asda will not want to refund deposits for bottles/cans
purchased elsewhere. Perhaps not too much of a problem for large
chains of supermarkets but maybe for franchised food stores with
large supermarkets in the neighbourhood.

That depends on how things work.
In other countries, the bottle will have a bar code and scanned. I'm
pretty sure its the manufacturer or importer that will reimburse the
'shop'. Usually the shop will only accept bottles it sells.

Even worse!

That means trekking from shop to shop (including ones that you don't
need to go to for any other reason) and seeing which shop will take
which bottle. At the moment we simply place ALL the bottles in our
bottle recycling bin and the council collect it once a month.

I can see why a deposit scheme seems a good idea to reduce litter, but
what we really need are locking recycling bins (to stop kids emptying
them the day before collection and claiming a month's deposits for
themselves) and readers on the recycling wagons, so as to retain the
ease of recycling that we already have through our councils.

SteveW

Years and years ago there was 3 pence (old money) back on the (glass)
bottle when you bought pop. Any shop which sold that brand would give
you the three pence back on return.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago. Very
useful.

You mean you've not had a Chinese takeaway since then?

Ours use aluminium boxes.

Isn't that ****ing expensive?

No they are made from foil pressed to shape with a cardboard lid. You
must have seen them.

I don't eat Chinese, but I think I know what you mean from microwave
meals from Asda.

You put foil containers in a microwave?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 20:21:57 +0100, Max Demian, another troll-feeding idiot,
blabbered:

I don't eat Chinese, but I think I know what you mean from microwave
meals from Asda.

You put foil containers in a microwave?

Interesting what he puts in his microwave, isn't it, idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Apr 2018 20:21:57 +0100, Max Demian

wrote:

The New Zealand govt banned plastic boxes for takeaways years
ago.
They all have to be cardboard-based, so they biodegrade.

Does that also work for Chinese take-away? Lot of fluids in that
(water, sauce, etc).

I've still got my plastic Chinese takeaway boxes from years ago.
Very
useful.

You mean you've not had a Chinese takeaway since then?

Ours use aluminium boxes.

Isn't that ****ing expensive?

No they are made from foil pressed to shape with a cardboard lid. You
must have seen them.

I don't eat Chinese, but I think I know what you mean from microwave
meals from Asda.

You put foil containers in a microwave?

No you have to empty them into the bowl you're going to eat from first.

In that case, I doubt they are sold as "microwave meals".

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 22:39:42 +0100, Max Demian, another troll-feeding idiot,
blabbered:

No you have to empty them into the bowl you're going to eat from first.

In that case, I doubt they are sold as "microwave meals".

Do you, blabbering idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 22:39:42 +0100, Max Demian

wrote:

[...]

Of course they are, they're meals made in the microwave.

So they tell you to transfer the contents of the aluminium container to
a non-metallic vessel? All the microwave meals a I've seen are supplied
in a microwave-safe container. Give us a link to a product:
http://www.asda.com/

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:20:52 +0100, Max Demian, another troll-feeding idiot,
blabbered:

So they tell you to transfer the contents of the aluminium container to
a non-metallic vessel? All the microwave meals a I've seen are supplied
in a microwave-safe container. Give us a link to a product:
http://www.asda.com/

Idiot! YOU are biggest meal for the troll, you senile troll fodder!