Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT household rubbish

On Sunday, 25 March 2018 14:42:32 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
Items you can put in this bin include:
Raw and cooked food
Meat and fish (including bones)
Please do NOT put soil/compost/sand, dead animals,

What's the difference between a dead animal and raw food? Apart from a few minutes with a gutting knife.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/18 15:03, John Rumm wrote:

On 24/03/2018 22:28, dennis@home wrote:

Â* TNP is thick, its quite easy to get 15l of waste food if you cook
everything rather than get ready meals microwaved by his carer.

15L is a pretty small "compostables" bin, or is that designated for food
waste only?

Dennis just wastes most of his food.

I eat all of mine.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 14:58, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/03/2018 11:52, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/03/2018 11:37, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
news On 25/03/2018 11:10, NY wrote:

snip

It is fine to encourage people to recycle more, but all households
generate a certain amount of waste on average, and it all needs to
be removed - whether in the normal bin or the recycling bin. There
seems to be a school of thought that we should magically produce
less waste, even of the recyclable type.

If it modifies your behaviour to reduce waste and recyclable matter,
it all sounds a good thing.

I'm all for encouraging people to recycle rather than landfill, by
carrot rather than stick by making it easy to recycle rather than
difficult/costly to landfill. But expecting people to reduce the
*total* amount of waste is ludicrous. If something comes boxed, you
have to get rid of the box - and you don't have the option of saying
"supply this item in clean, pristine, undamaged condition but with
less packaging" - the packaging is the means of making sure the item
is clean/undamaged.

Then modify your buying habits to include items with less packaging or
suffer the consequences and so we suffer your moans.

I have never had an issue with size of bins, even when our children have
been in disposable nappies.

Has it occurred to you that your local council's provision may be very
different from NY's?

I am aware there are differences, but the amount of waste is strongly
dependent on the lifestyle choice and how many live at a property.

The pilot scheme our council ran for a couple of years had a blue
plastic create that took a smaller range of stuff, and separate bags for
paper and card. They made recycling some things significantly more
difficult than the current scheme with a large wheelie bin that takes
pretty much any recyclable.

The issue here was quantity of waster rather that the different forms of
recyclable materials.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 11:21, NY wrote:

(*) Conical plastic composting bins with lids, obtained from local council.

Many local authorities subsidise the cost (to a varying degree) of
compost bins. Type you postcode into
https://getcomposting.com/profile/login
to see if your local authority can give you a deal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/18 15:03, John Rumm wrote:

On 24/03/2018 22:28, dennis@home wrote:

Â* TNP is thick, its quite easy to get 15l of waste food if you cook
everything rather than get ready meals microwaved by his carer.

15L is a pretty small "compostables" bin, or is that designated for
food waste only?

Dennis just wastes most of his food.

I eat all of mine.

Me too. Blame my mother for that, she always got me to eat everything by
telling me to think of all the starving people. Buggered if I was going
to let them get any leftovers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/18 18:14, Richard wrote:
On 25/03/18 15:03, John Rumm wrote:

On 24/03/2018 22:28, dennis@home wrote:

Â* TNP is thick, its quite easy to get 15l of waste food if you cook
everything rather than get ready meals microwaved by his carer.

15L is a pretty small "compostables" bin, or is that designated for
food waste only?

Dennis just wastes most of his food.

I eat all of mine.

Me too. Blame my mother for that, she always got me to eat everything by
telling me to think of all the starving people. Buggered if I was going
to let them get any leftovers.

Because I cook only for myself these days, or the odd friend, I have
adjusted what I buy and how I prepare it so there is very little waste
at all.

1 or 2 loose veg instead of a pack of three...

almost no bones either in any meat and they are small anyway.

I think te worst was the sardine skeletons and guts that are now sitting
outside in the bin 30 yards away. Pfff!

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 11:37, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 25/03/2018 11:10, NY wrote:

It is fine to encourage people to recycle more, but all households
generate a certain amount of waste on average, and it all needs to be
removed - whether in the normal bin or the recycling bin. There seems
to be a school of thought that we should magically produce less
waste, even of the recyclable type.

If it modifies your behaviour to reduce waste and recyclable matter,
it all sounds a good thing.

- and you don't have the option of saying "supply this
item in clean, pristine, undamaged condition but with less packaging" -

Sometimes you can. Amazon sometimes (admittedly only on some items)
offers 'hassle free packaging' which doesn't have the usual bag in a box
in a box ... type packaging.

More long term, if people buy the item with less packaging, suppliers
will soon cotton on that less (but just as effective) packaging is the
way to go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 15:07, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/03/2018 11:03, Andrew wrote:
On 24/03/2018 16:19, dennis@home wrote:
I don't eat cauliflower stalks, the greens of the carrots, chicken
bones, etc.Â* even if you do.

The first two are compostible. Bones, fat, meat remnants and
other stuff of animal or fowl origin cannot be composted. This is
why pig farmers no longer collect 'swill' from schools. The possibility
of another foot-and-mouth outbreak is ominous. This sort of food
waste must go to landfill.

In our area they *do* collect that kind of waste with all the other
compostable waste.

Unless you grow your own carrots (which means you have space for a
compost heap or bin anyway), where are these 'greens of carrots' coming
from ?. You only need to chop off the top 1/4 inch. How can you
end up with 240 litres a week ?.

I thought he said the recycling bin was 240L, not the food waste one...

I made that mistake too . He does initially 'talk' of the food bin
being 240l but it is also OPTIONALLY for garden waste .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 15:21, dennis@home wrote:
On 25/03/2018 14:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/03/2018 16:50, alan_m wrote:
On 24/03/2018 16:32, John Rumm wrote:
The only snag is, I could probably
fill it half a dozen times just with grass clippings!

Grass clippings will compact to a least a sixth of the volume by
themselves within a few days in the summer.

Indeed, but I can take several cubic metres of them off the lawn in
one cutting when its growing fast... they really ain't going in the
bin! (not to mention it would mean manually handling them up into the
bin after the mower dumps em on the ground)

As long as you mow frequently they are better left on the grass anyway.
When you start cutting inches off then they become messy in the wet.

I can fit the mulching plug to the mower, and sometimes in peak growing
season I do. However you really need to cut more often then - like 2 to
3 times a week to get a good looking result. The mower does not really
have the power to mulch a whole weeks worth of growth (not to mention it
uses quite a bit more more petrol)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 March 2018 19:26:16 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
I have wondered that when wanting to offload a dead goldfish ;-)

cooking with goldfish = 11 million results on google :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2018 10:59, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 13:46, Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/03/2018 10:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

The recycling bin goes out every two weeks

At the moment we get weekly collections of both wheelie bins (I
choose to put them out less frequently) but I gather the collections
are due to alternate between recycling and rubbish later this year
... might bother larger households.

If it is anything like where we are, they'll have a system to cope
with larger housholds.

Our normal system is:

Green bin, 240l - food waste (plus garden waste if you pay an extra
£40 a year) - collected weekly.

Grey bin, 120l - non-recyclable waste - collected fortnightly.

Blue bin, 240l - carboard and paper - collected monthly.

Black bin, 240l - plastic bottles, tins, cans and glass bottles -
collected monthly.

Leading to the green bin, plus one other, being collected every week.

For households with 5 or more residents, a 240l grey bin can be
requested instead of the 120l one. Additional blue and black bins can
also be requested.

SteveW

What sort of people discard 240 litres of food waste every week ?.

None. However the green bin is sized to allow for garden waste (if you
pay the extra fee). Even if you put very little in, it is worth putting
it out most weeks so as to avoid the smell of rotting food.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 10:43, Andrew wrote:
On 24/03/2018 12:21, Bob Eager wrote:
He also mentions a 240l green bin for food waste, but if he'd read it
properly, he'd have seen it was optionally for garden waste as well.

In Horsham if the garden waste is contaminated with any sort of
food waste, it is just scooped back up (at the composting site)
and taken to landfill.

Food waste could contain meat remnants, including pork and
that was what caused the 2001 foot-and-mouth outbreak.

If people were careful enought to separate uncooked veggy
remnants from cooked food waste then it wouldn't be an issue
but people are lazy (and not generally very clued-up).

'Food Waste' means different things to different people.

Our council sends all food and garden waste for anaerobic digestion -
meat is allowed.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 15:17, dennis@home wrote:
On 25/03/2018 11:14, Andrew wrote:
On 25/03/2018 11:05, Robin wrote:
On 25/03/2018 10:52, Andrew wrote:
On 24/03/2018 22:28, dennis@home wrote:
Â*Â*TNP is thick, its quite easy to get 15l of waste food if you cook
everything rather than get ready meals microwaved by his carer.

Except that it isn't food waste, much of it is uncooked veggy
parings (which contain most of the vitamins anyway). All this
can be composted at home.

Anything containing bones, fat or protein, whether cooked or not
needs to go to landfill.

Do you have authority for contradicting the advice from my council
(and umpteen others) on what can be composted[1] in their facility?

[1] You can recycle all raw and cooked food waste:
Â*Â*Â*Â* vegetables and peelings
Â*Â*Â*Â* fish and fish bones
Â*Â*Â*Â* fruit cores and skins
Â*Â*Â*Â* bones
Â*Â*Â*Â* bread, rice, pasta
Â*Â*Â*Â* meat (raw or cooked)
Â*Â*Â*Â* teabags, coffee granules
Â*Â*Â*Â* egg shells
Â*Â*Â*Â* plate scrapings
Â*Â*Â*Â* cheese

Try horsham.gov.uk website. They have told us that the brown bins
for garden waste must not be contaminated with food waste. Who is
right ?.

The garden waste bin is not a food waste bin.
They do not get composted in the same way.

That's just what your council does. Ours collects food and garden waste
in the same bin (no restrictions on type of food waste) and processes it
all together.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For households with 5 or more residents, a 240l grey bin can be
requested instead of the 120l one. Additional blue and black bins can
also be requested.

That makes our black bag for general waste and clear recycle bag seem
overly complicated.

New Forest by any chance? If not they follow the same system.
It seems a strange choice for an area that has lot of wildlife and though
parish councils and others
request that bags are not put out the night before that is awkward for
people who are busy leaving for work around dawn. You can tell it has been
collection day by the trail of detritus along the route that has escaped
from damaged bags.

OTOH it is a simple system and I like that both bags get collected on the
same morning , they use two carts running together with a the crew from
one walking ahead and accumulating individual households bags into larger
piles which reduces the number of vehicle stops.
My mothers council collects different types weekly on two consecutive days
with a third stream fortnightly on a third consecutive day. Every flaming
day it seems you have to put something out and for a good part of the week
empty boxes are parading up and down the place in the wind till the
householders get home, Mother has a high proportion of neighbours who teach
at a nearby private school. Ignorant sods who may be good at Maths or
Sports but lack the common sense that if you leave your recycling box
outside the front door all week
and start filling it there then the wind is going to chuck the rubbish all
over the street and your box is going to follow it. Ive given up asking
them not to do it but they are teachers and consider themselves above such
things. now on my visits if their box is wedged under my car or in mothers
gateway I remove it to here 3 Counties away. The missus grows plants in
them to replant elsewhere.

NFDC collections are weekly at the moment, apparently a year or two ago
some funding became available for some authorities to reinstate more
frequent collections, NFDC was still weekly so was allowed to use the funds
to give households glass* collection boxes which are collected monthly.
Its taken a couple of years for many including me to get into the habit of
putting it out but most seem to do so now.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 19:25, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/03/2018 15:21, dennis@home wrote:
On 25/03/2018 14:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/03/2018 16:50, alan_m wrote:
On 24/03/2018 16:32, John Rumm wrote:
Â*The only snag is, I could probably
[...]

Reseed with wild flowers and grasses and then just mow a strip up
the middle. Mow the rest in the autumn after the flowers have
died back ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/18 16:23, alan_m wrote:
On 25/03/2018 15:46, wrote:
On Sunday, 25 March 2018 14:42:32 UTC+1, John RummÂ* wrote:
Items you can put in this bin include:
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Raw and cooked food
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Meat and fish (including bones)
Please do NOT put soil/compost/sand, dead animals,

What's the difference between a dead animal and raw food? Apart from
a few minutes with a gutting knife.

Owain

I think some of the rules about what can and what can't be recycled
and how it can be sorted are made up by some sandal wearing greenie in
the local council who has no real knowledge about recycling.

BSE.

BSE was nothing to do with recycling domestic food waste,
but pigswill could have started the 2001 F&M outbreak.

For decades farmers were sending dead animals off to the
knackers yard where they were rendered down and turned into
protein and used to make 'cow cake' and other animal
feedstuffs.

At some point a sheep that had died of a brain disease
similar to BSE and the human version, was turned into cow
cake and that infected more than one cow.

Eventually cows were dying of BSE left right and centre and
causing a vicious cycle.

Some farmers were sending cows off to the abatoir for
use in the human foodchain when they suspected that the
cow was infected. This was financially advantageous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 16:12, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Andrew
wrote:

We have no separate collections for food waste or electricals,
the council assume people are going to somehow travel to the
various Viridor sites and deposit their old fm radio or
hair curlers in the correct skip - if only.

People have no problem depositing all sorts of stuff at our local tip.
Mostly because all the bins are marked and there are people to ask.

Indeed, but those are the ones who make effort. A lot of people
can't be arsed and just chuck recyclable stuff in the normal
domestic rubbish bin..

Even the skips at the Viridor sites are abused. The one that
should contain soil or rubble is usually contimainated with
ceramic tiles, old bogs, stuff that should be in there.

Ditto the timber skip. All manner of junk that clearly
cannot go through a chipper gets chucked in there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2018 18:55, soup wrote:
On 25/03/2018 11:37, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 25/03/2018 11:10, NY wrote:

It is fine to encourage people to recycle more, but all households
generate a certain amount of waste on average, and it all needs to
be removed - whether in the normal bin or the recycling bin. There
seems to be a school of thought that we should magically produce
less waste, even of the recyclable type.

If it modifies your behaviour to reduce waste and recyclable matter,
it all sounds a good thing.

Â*- and you don't have the option of saying "supply this item in clean,
pristine, undamaged condition but with less packaging" -

Sometimes you can. Amazon sometimes (admittedly only on some items)
offers 'hassle free packaging' which doesn't have the usual bag in a box
in a box ... type packaging.

Â* More long term, if people buy the item with less packaging, suppliers
will soon cotton on that less (but just as effective) packaging is the
way to go.

The packaging is clever marketting to hide the fact that they have
shrunk the product, by bulking it out. This is never going to change.

Also, it protects the contents from physical damage and also to
make it more difficult for shoplifters. This won't change.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We have no separate collections for food waste or electricals,
the council assume people are going to somehow travel to the
various Viridor sites and deposit their old fm radio or
hair curlers in the correct skip - if only.

People have no problem depositing all sorts of stuff at our local tip.
Mostly because all the bins are marked and there are people to ask.

Indeed, but those are the ones who make effort. A lot of people
can't be arsed and just chuck recyclable stuff in the normal
domestic rubbish bin..

Here we use an outside company for our recycling, we have a blue bin for multi-recyling but we were asked to put a notice on in saying only paper and card recycling. But they do collected it every week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 25/03/18 18:14,

Because I cook only for myself these days, or the odd friend, I have
adjusted what I buy and how I prepare it so there is very little waste
at all.

1 or 2 loose veg instead of a pack of three...

almost no bones either in any meat and they are small anyway.

I think te worst was the sardine skeletons and guts that are now sitting
outside in the bin 30 yards away. Pfff!

Not very nice to use your neighbours bin.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Why not compost egg shells -

The bones and eggshells are wrapped in newspaper as requested and are
in a small bin with a locked lid.

Quite so. But someone suggested composting them.

Presumably SWMBO has tried that.

According to my other half eggshells will only get broken down efficiently
in a compost bin/heap if you are prepared to pulverise them into really
small fragments first.
Something to do with the ability of worms to ingest material to digest it,
their mouths dont have teeth so all matter has to be soft or small enough
to be drawn in by the mouth muscles .
Eggshells just broken in half and chucked in the compost are just too
large.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 15:02, Marland wrote:

According to my other half eggshells will only get broken down efficiently
in a compost bin/heap if you are prepared to pulverise them into really
small fragments first.
Something to do with the ability of worms to ingest material to digest it,
their mouths dont have teeth so all matter has to be soft or small enough
to be drawn in by the mouth muscles .
Eggshells just broken in half and chucked in the compost are just too
large.

The facilities used by councils for food waste are somewhat different
from a compost bin/heap. They start by shredding/pulping the material.
As that includes beef bones there's not much chance of eggshells
surviving in large lumps. It's then composted (at up to 60 or 70
degrees) for 4 weeks.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 26/03/2018 15:02, Marland wrote:

According to my other half eggshells will only get broken down efficiently
in a compost bin/heap if you are prepared to pulverise them into really
small fragments first.
Something to do with the ability of worms to ingest material to digest it,
their mouths dont have teeth so all matter has to be soft or small enough
to be drawn in by the mouth muscles .
Eggshells just broken in half and chucked in the compost are just too
large.

The facilities used by councils for food waste are somewhat different
from a compost bin/heap. They start by shredding/pulping the material.
As that includes beef bones there's not much chance of eggshells
surviving in large lumps. It's then composted (at up to 60 or 70
degrees) for 4 weeks.

Well yes, statement of the bleeding obvious really.
I doubt Mr Treaters other half has such a facility.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 12:19, Andrew wrote:

Even the skips at the Viridor sites are abused. The one that
should contain soil or rubble is usually contimainated with
ceramic tiles, old bogs, stuff that should be in there.

Our local tip staff don't seem to be able to make up their minds about
this. Sometimes they say put ceramics (bogs, tiles etc.) in with the
hard core at other times it is forbidden to do so. They are more clear
about plaster dust - this is forbidden in the hard core, as is any soil.
You will get your wrists slapped if you leave the hardcore in the
plastic bag.

Ditto the timber skip. All manner of junk that clearly
cannot go through a chipper gets chucked in there.

Anything with a bit of wood seems to go in the timber bin. I guess it
will end up as fairly low grade chip board and after being crushed and
"chipped" and metal will be removed by normal means.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 15:36, Marland wrote:
Robin wrote:
[...]

She could put one on her birthday/Christmas/other wishlist. There are
even various DIY designs online to keep down the cost and which might
earn Mr Streater bonus points - if such a thing is possible

I suspect another possible DIY approach would be to stick the eggshells
in a coffee grinder before adding them to the bin/heap.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 15:02, Marland wrote:

According to my other half eggshells will only get broken down efficiently
in a compost bin/heap if you are prepared to pulverise them into really
small fragments first.
Something to do with the ability of worms to ingest material to digest it,
their mouths dont have teeth so all matter has to be soft or small enough
to be drawn in by the mouth muscles
Eggshells just broken in half and chucked in the compost are just too
large.

As a half egg shell migrates down the heap as you put more compostable
material on top it will be crushed into smaller pieces. Even the shells
near the top will be broken down into smaller pieces when you physically
move the compost from the bin and even then they will not remain intact
when putting your foot on it. They don't need to be digested by worms.
The little bits of shell are a mineral supplement in the compost and
will leach into rest of the soil when the composted material is used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 14:10, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

We have no separate collections for food waste or electricals,
the council assume people are going to somehow travel to the
various Viridor sites and deposit their old fm radio or
hair curlers in the correct skip - if only.

People have no problem depositing all sorts of stuff at our local tip.
Mostly because all the bins are marked and there are people to ask.

Indeed, but those are the ones who make effort. A lot of people
can't be arsed and just chuck recyclable stuff in the normal
domestic rubbish bin.

Not sure what can be done with people like that.

Even the skips at the Viridor sites are abused. The one that
should contain soil or rubble is usually contimainated with
ceramic tiles, old bogs, stuff that should be in there.

Ditto the timber skip. All manner of junk that clearly
cannot go through a chipper gets chucked in there.

Insufficient staff, then. At ours you don't put the wood in the skip.
You dump it in a pile and they put it in the skip.

They have at least 2, sometimes 3 blokes who are supposed to
assist owners, where necessary and ought to be able to stop
the wrong stuff being put into inappropriate bins.

I suspect they are afraid to step in, in case of abuse and the
risk of it being flytipped.

Once I went there and the manager was a young german guy, and the
place was *spotless*. Everything was done properly. Next time I
went he had gone and it was back to its usual state.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 16:44, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Marland
wrote:

Robin wrote:
On 26/03/2018 15:02, Marland wrote:

According to my other half eggshells will only get broken down
efficiently
in a compost bin/heap if you are prepared to pulverise them into really
small fragments first.
Something to do with the ability of worms to ingest material to
digest it,
their mouths dont have teeth so all matter has to be soft or small
enough
to be drawn in by the mouth muscles .
Eggshells just broken in half and chucked in the compost are just too
large.

The facilities used by councils for food waste are somewhat different
from a compost bin/heap.Â* They start by shredding/pulping the
material. As that includes beef bones there's not much chance of
eggshells surviving in large lumps.Â* It's then composted (at up to 60
or 70 degrees) for 4 weeks.

Well yes, statement of the bleeding obvious really.
I doubt Mr Treaters other half has such a facility.

That's Qtreater to you.

An insulated home composting unit that gets the temperature up
to a temperature hot enough to make it steam for a few days is
or should be a proper diy job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2018 19:30, Andrew wrote:

An insulated home composting unit that gets the temperature up
to a temperature hot enough to make it steam for a few days is
or should be a proper diy job.

Most people's bins run rather cold (which is OK) and it takes quite a
long time for the contents to fully compost, especially in the colder
months. Much of the composting process is performed by the
microorganisms and other livestock found in the bin, especially the
hundreds of worms that can be found an inch or so beneath the surface.

Insulated compost bins are often advertised as the miracle way of making
compost and there are Youtube video adverts proving so. What is not
mentioned is that you usually need to _completely_ fill these bins with
a fresh mix of green and brown material for them to be effective. It's
the amount of material that is important. Just adding a gallon bucket of
vegetable kitchen waste on an ad-hoc basis and it's no different to
using a standard Dalek bin. An uninstalled Dalek bin during the grass
cutting season can run very hot if completely filled with a mix of grass
cuttings, torn cardboard, kitchen waste, shredded paper etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And soon you have to store your plastic bottles somewhere and remember
to take them back to Asda so they can waste time and money and diesel
storing and transporting them seperately.

Its possibly worse than that. A couple of reports in the media today
from spokesmen for the recycling industry have indicated that by
removing the higher value recycled materials from roadside collections
will/may make these roadside collections more expensive and/or less
viable. Roadside collectable waste for recycling will be related to low
value waste and the material that currently cannot be recycled for reuse
and is of no value to the recycling plants.

I'm sure that Asda will not want to refund deposits for bottles/cans
purchased elsewhere. Perhaps not too much of a problem for large chains
of supermarkets but maybe for franchised food stores with large
supermarkets in the neighbourhood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2018 23:50, alan_m wrote:

[...]

That depends on how things work.

In other countries, the bottle will have a bar code and scanned. I'm
pretty sure its the manufacturer or importer that will reimburse the
'shop'. Usually the shop will only accept bottles it sells.

Where there's a will there is always a way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2018 02:12, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

Even worse!

That means trekking from shop to shop (including ones that you don't
need to go to for any other reason) and seeing which shop will take
which bottle. At the moment we simply place ALL the bottles in our
bottle recycling bin and the council collect it once a month.

I can see why a deposit scheme seems a good idea to reduce litter, but
what we really need are locking recycling bins (to stop kids emptying
them the day before collection and claiming a month's deposits for
themselves) and readers on the recycling wagons, so as to retain the
ease of recycling that we already have through our councils.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiot Alert!

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 23:50:19 +0100, anal_m, the mentally defective
troll-feeding idiot, blabbered again:

Its possibly worse than that.

What could be worse than your lack of brains, you abnormal troll-feeding
idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 01:05:41 +0100, alan_m, the mentally defective
troll-feeding idiot, blabbered again:

Much of the domestic waste recycling industry

YOU are VERY good at recycling the **** this abnormal attention whore keeps
posting on all these groups, you disgusting cretin!