Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Smoke alarms, approx fitting costs

On 19/03/2018 18:59, ARW wrote:
On 18/03/2018 22:27, dennis@home wrote:
On 18/03/2018 21:24, alan_m wrote:
On 18/03/2018 21:12, ss wrote:

In addition, there will be a 10-year age limit for alarms and all
alarms will have to be ceiling-mounted, and should be
interlinked.".........

As they have to be interlinked do they also have to be mains powered?

you can get interlinked battery powered alarms.
The batteries don't last as long or they have two batteries.

I'll bet they ware wanting Grade D - mains powered with a battery backup.

No. Looks they are not.

http://www.scottishhousingnews.com/2...omes-scotland/

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/03/2018 12:44, Andy Burns wrote:
AlanC wrote:

A fire engine turned up the other week to replace their smoke alarms.
Seemed a bit OTT.

The crews do that sort of job while waiting between fire calls, saves
employing staff just to do it, they won't go outside the "patch" they
would be covering from the station anyway, so they can still be
mobilised to a fire call from the house.

Why not? It attracts attention to what they are doing and gets the job
done.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/03/2018 16:40, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/03/18 13:33, Andy Burns wrote:
alan_m wrote:

Electrical work in a kitchen - lots of money!

Kitchen is no longer a 'special' location (assuming it has no bath,
sauna or swimming pool in it!)

Well, it isn't in England. Are you sure about Jockland?

Even in the Land of the Leeks, there is disparity on Part P...

For the last couple of weeks I have been fitting a lot of mains powered
(some RF and some cable interlinked smokes/heats COs but always mains
powered with battery back up) for the government. Houses that have been
bought to demolish ready for HS2. These houses will be rented out until
the bulldozers arrive.

I have no idea who is running this but the spec changes on every job!

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 10:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is clearly rubbish, My smoke alarm is on the side of the upper floor by
the stairs where any convective airflow will go. Its within reach, so no
falls in the home trying to replace batteries, and it can be tested even by
a blind person as I can touch it.
No need for any other alarm all heating and cooking is electric.

No electric tumble drier or fridge then?

What I wonder is which room this would be:

"at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for
general daytime living purposes,"

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:35:00 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 18/03/18 21:12, ss wrote:
Below is going to be made law in Scotland, I already have alarms so they
can fekc off!
However thinking of some old dear on a state pension or someone on
benefits what would be an approx cost to get an electrician to fit as
below.

Quote............
"Now everyone will benefit from the same level of protection, whether
you own your home, or rent from a social or private landlord."

In practical terms, the law will require private homes to;
have at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used
have at least one smoke alarm in spaces such as hallways and landings
have at least one heat alarm in every kitchen
have a carbon monoxide detector

In addition, there will be a 10-year age limit for alarms and all alarms
will have to be ceiling-mounted, and should be interlinked.".........

For owner occupied dwellings, how on earth do they think they are going
to enforce that?

As I mentioned elsewhere, according to the Metro enforcement will be
at time of sale. The property won't get a Home Report unless it
complies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/03/2018 21:03, Michael Chare wrote:
On 19/03/2018 10:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is clearly rubbish, My smoke alarm is on the side of the upper
floor by
the stairs where any convective airflow will go. Its within reach, so no
falls in the home trying to replace batteries, and it can be tested
even by
a blind person as I can touch it.
Â* No need for any other alarm all heating and cooking is electric.

No electric tumble drier or fridge then?

What I wonder is which room this would be:

"at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for
general daytime living purposes,"

I call it the lounge. Southerners call it a living room.

Or for most people it's the room with the TV and SKY box in it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 17:59, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/03/18 17:16, alan_m wrote:
On 19/03/2018 16:37, Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ei-radio...-ei600-series/

Discontinued Unit, so.......

OK - ta...

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fire-ang...d-heat-alarms/

I'm not sure why the majority of domestic properties would require
interlinking. If any of my alarms sound they can be easy heard in any
room in the house.

A fireman friend told me of a little girl who died because her bedroom
door was well-fitted, a fire started in her room but the smoke did not
trip the detector outside in the hall.

This is why I put units in every habitable room and interlinked them. No
one is sleeping through that!

Why does that require interlinking? (It does require one in her room)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/03/18 17:16, alan_m wrote:
On 19/03/2018 16:37, Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ei-radio...-ei600-series/

Discontinued Unit, so.......

OK - ta...

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fire-ang...d-heat-alarms/

I'm not sure why the majority of domestic properties would require
interlinking. If any of my alarms sound they can be easy heard in any
room in the house.

A fireman friend told me of a little girl who died because her bedroom
door was well-fitted, a fire started in her room but the smoke did not
trip the detector outside in the hall.

Was it Keith Laird?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 21:34, Scott wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, according to the Metro enforcement will be
at time of sale. The property won't get a Home Report unless it
complies.

Can a home report legally prevent a sale?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 17:16:03 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 19/03/2018 16:37, Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ei-radio...d-heat-alarms-

ei600-series/

Discontinued Unit, so.......

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fire-ang...moke-and-heat-

alarms/

I'm not sure why the majority of domestic properties would require
interlinking. If any of my alarms sound they can be easy heard in any
room in the house.

Not true in our house, which is why I went for interlinked ones. The
house is large and is an odd shape. It's also why we have a lot of
internal phones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 21:58, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/03/2018 17:59, Tim Watts wrote:

A fireman friend told me of a little girl who died because her bedroom
door was well-fitted, a fire started in her room but the smoke did not
trip the detector outside in the hall.

This is why I put units in every habitable room and interlinked them.
No one is sleeping through that!

Why does that require interlinking? (It does require one in her room)

Little kids may not wake to the sound of an alarm, however loud.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On 19/03/18 14:03, Scott wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 23:39:27 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 18/03/2018 23:20, ss wrote:
On 18/03/2018 21:24, alan_m wrote:
In addition, there will be a 10-year age limit for alarms and all
alarms will have to be ceiling-mounted, and should be
interlinked.".........

According to no lesser source than the Metro, enforcement will take
place at point of sale. Unless the fire system is compliant, no Home
Report will be issued, thereby preventing sale of the property.

That sounds like proper "Big Government". I do sometimes wonder why the
Scot vote these people in...

A foretaste of the next Health and Safety loving Labour government south of the border

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 March 2018 22:58:20 UTC, alan_m wrote:
Can a home report legally prevent a sale?

Absence of it will.

A home report must be provided by law for a residential property to be advertised for sale in Scotland (with a few exceptions). Solicitors and estate agents wouldn't handle a property without it if it's required as they'd be liable for the fine:

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 (Amount of Penalty Charge) Regulations 2007 The person responsible for marketing a house must have a Home Report and must give a copy to any potential buyer who asks for it. Anyone who does not do this may get a penalty charge notice from an authorised officer of a local authority. In cases like this, the regulations prescribe a penalty charge of £500.
http://www.rics.org/uk/knowledge/con...y-legislation/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 March 2018 16:36:56 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
That sounds like proper "Big Government". I do sometimes wonder why the
Scot vote these people in...

In 2016 SNP got 46.5% of the constituency vote.

Ruth Davidson's on Celebrity Bake Off tonight so we'll see if her scones rise more than her share of the vote (or if she sets off the smoke alarm in the Tent).

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 21:57, ARW wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:03, Michael Chare wrote:
On 19/03/2018 10:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is clearly rubbish, My smoke alarm is on the side of the upper
floor by
the stairs where any convective airflow will go. Its within reach, so no
falls in the home trying to replace batteries, and it can be tested
even by
a blind person as I can touch it.
Â* No need for any other alarm all heating and cooking is electric.

No electric tumble drier or fridge then?

What I wonder is which room this would be:

"at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used
for general daytime living purposes,"

I call it the lounge. Southerners call it a living room.

Or for most people it's the room with the TV and SKY box in it.

Does someone not quite often go into the kitchen? It appears to be the
frequency of use that counts.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 08:27:55 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 19 March 2018 16:36:56 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
That sounds like proper "Big Government". I do sometimes wonder why the
Scot vote these people in...

In 2016 SNP got 46.5% of the constituency vote.

Ruth Davidson's on Celebrity Bake Off tonight so we'll see if her scones rise more than her share of the vote (or if she sets off the smoke alarm in the Tent).

Surely it's the way she pronouces 'scones' is the most important point, then it's whther she adds jam or cream first ;-0

Who'd vote for some one that clouldn't get the basics right :-D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/18 21:57, ARW wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:03, Michael Chare wrote:
On 19/03/2018 10:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is clearly rubbish, My smoke alarm is on the side of the upper
floor by
the stairs where any convective airflow will go. Its within reach, so no
falls in the home trying to replace batteries, and it can be tested
even by
a blind person as I can touch it.
Â* No need for any other alarm all heating and cooking is electric.

No electric tumble drier or fridge then?

What I wonder is which room this would be:

"at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used
for general daytime living purposes,"

I call it the lounge. Southerners call it a living room.

Or for most people it's the room with the TV and SKY box in it.

Morning Room, if you please. Living rooms are what the plebs relax in...

:-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/18 22:58, alan_m wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:34, Scott wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, according to the Metro enforcement will be
at time of sale.Â* The property won't get a Home Report unless it
complies.

Can a home report legally prevent a sale?

In England, I thought it was a requirement to market the house, rather
than sell it.

So if your mate said "can I buy your house", you can legally sidestep it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/18 17:16, alan_m wrote:
On 19/03/2018 16:37, Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ei-radio...-ei600-series/

Discontinued Unit, so.......

OK - ta...

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fire-ang...d-heat-alarms/

I'm not sure why the majority of domestic properties would require
interlinking. If any of my alarms sound they can be easy heard in any
room in the house.

A fireman friend told me of a little girl who died because her bedroom
door was well-fitted, a fire started in her room but the smoke did not
trip the detector outside in the hall.

This is why I put units in every habitable room and interlinked them.
No one is sleeping through that!

Why does that require interlinking? (It does require one in her room)

Andy

Because if there's a fire from the TV upstairs, I damn well want to know
about it before the whole house is on fire!

:-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/18 23:45, Max Demian wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:58, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/03/2018 17:59, Tim Watts wrote:

A fireman friend told me of a little girl who died because her
bedroom door was well-fitted, a fire started in her room but the
smoke did not trip the detector outside in the hall.

This is why I put units in every habitable room and interlinked them.
No one is sleeping through that!

Why does that require interlinking? (It does require one in her room)

Little kids may not wake to the sound of an alarm, however loud.

Or may already be overcome with fumes if it's a fast fire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/18 17:16, alan_m wrote:
On 19/03/2018 16:37, Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ei-radio...-ei600-series/

Discontinued Unit, so.......

OK - ta...

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fire-ang...d-heat-alarms/

I'm not sure why the majority of domestic properties would require
interlinking. If any of my alarms sound they can be easy heard in any
room in the house.

A fireman friend told me of a little girl who died because her bedroom
door was well-fitted, a fire started in her room but the smoke did not
trip the detector outside in the hall.

Was it Keith Laird?

I have no idea who that is, so I may have missed a joke

No - it was an Iranian bloke (well Brit now, obviously)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 21:57, ARW wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:03, Michael Chare wrote:
On 19/03/2018 10:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
That is clearly rubbish, My smoke alarm is on the side of the upper
floor by
the stairs where any convective airflow will go. Its within reach, so no
falls in the home trying to replace batteries, and it can be tested
even by
a blind person as I can touch it.
Â* No need for any other alarm all heating and cooking is electric.

No electric tumble drier or fridge then?

What I wonder is which room this would be:

"at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used
for general daytime living purposes,"

I call it the lounge. Southerners call it a living room.

Or for most people it's the room with the TV and SKY box in it.

The 'snug' is the room that the dog prefers.

PS Do northerners have such a room with such a daft name ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2018 12:13, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/03/18 21:57, ARW wrote:
[...]

Upstairs or downstairs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 08:58:01 UTC, alan_m wrote:
So a home report saying that the property has no roof, the gas boiler is
dangerous, there is no mains drainage, the water from the well is
polluted would be issued to tell a prospective buyer that the property
is in need of serious modernisation but if no smoke alarms are fitted to
the same property the home report will not be issued and therefore
cannot be sold - until smoke alarms are fitted?

"properties that aren't fit to live in, or are going to be demolished" are exempt from the home report requirement. AFAICS auction properties are not exempt.

I think it's a slippery end of a sloping wedge, a very dangerous principle, etc. What will be the next thing the govt will force homeowners to pay for?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2018 13:58, Andrew wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:57, ARW wrote:
[...]

T'up north every pub has a snug where the patrons bring in their whippets.

Down sarf most pub snugs were ripped out in the 1960s drive towards
modernisation and formica bar tops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/18 17:16, alan_m wrote:
[...]

It doesn't need to be a TV. A few weeks ago the hotel I was in was
evacuated at 5am - turned out tehnfire was caused by a phone charger.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/18 15:59, alan_m wrote:
Morning Room, if you please. Living rooms are what the plebs relax in...

:-

Upstairs or downstairs?

https://youtu.be/wDe60CbIagg?t=40s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/18 16:08, alan_m wrote:

T'up north every pub has a snug where the patrons bring in their whippets.

Down sarf most pub snugs were ripped out in the 1960s driveÂ* towards
modernisation and formica bar tops.

What's a "snug" look like (I live in York for a few years, not heard the
term)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 March 2018 23:45:39 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:58, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/03/2018 17:59, Tim Watts wrote:

A fireman friend told me of a little girl who died because her bedroom
door was well-fitted, a fire started in her room but the smoke did not
trip the detector outside in the hall.

This is why I put units in every habitable room and interlinked them.
No one is sleeping through that!

Why does that require interlinking? (It does require one in her room)

Little kids may not wake to the sound of an alarm, however loud.

What do you propose, rubber bullets fired round the room at random?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 20/03/18 12:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/03/18 22:58, alan_m wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:34, Scott wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, according to the Metro enforcement will be
at time of sale.Â* The property won't get a Home Report unless it
complies.

Can a home report legally prevent a sale?

In England, I thought it was a requirement to market the house, rather
than sell it.

So if your mate said "can I buy your house", you can legally sidestep it.

There is no 'home report' in England, the only remnant of that failed
attempt is the energy cert (an EU imposition) which everybody knows is
worthless.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 March 2018 08:20:57 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 19 March 2018 22:58:20 UTC, alan_m wrote:
Can a home report legally prevent a sale?

Absence of it will.

A home report must be provided by law for a residential property to be advertised for sale in Scotland (with a few exceptions). Solicitors and estate agents wouldn't handle a property without it if it's required as they'd be liable for the fine:

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 (Amount of Penalty Charge) Regulations 2007 The person responsible for marketing a house must have a Home Report and must give a copy to any potential buyer who asks for it. Anyone who does not do this may get a penalty charge notice from an authorised officer of a local authority. In cases like this, the regulations prescribe a penalty charge of £500.
http://www.rics.org/uk/knowledge/con...y-legislation/

Owain

Marketing is not sale, and £500 is no deterrent to people selling a gutted house. Nor a £200,000 house.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2018 19:57, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/03/18 16:08, alan_m wrote:

T'up north every pub has a snug where the patrons bring in their
whippets.

Down sarf most pub snugs were ripped out in the 1960s driveÂ* towards
modernisation and formica bar tops.

What's a "snug" look like (I live in York for a few years, not heard the
term)

Quote from a random Google search
"The snug was for patrons who preferred not to be seen in the public
bar. Ladies would often enjoy a private drink in the snug in a time when
it was frowned upon for women to be in a pub. The local police officer
might nip in for a quiet pint, the parish priest for his evening whisky,
or lovers for a rendezvous"

Pubs used to have 3 or more bars separated by wood or wood/glass
partitions, often with their own door to outside. The smaller of these
rooms was often referred to as the snug. You may still find this
arrangement in older 'historic' buildings/pubs but over the past 50 to
70 years these walls have been ripped out of most pubs in order to
provide more space for custom and to make this custom visible to the
staff. That's assuming that the pub doesn't have the invisible customer
policy interrupting the social life of the staff.

When I was a lad and of (underage) drinking age many of the pubs in my
area had both a public bar and a saloon bar with much higher prices for
the same drink in the latter. Many of these pubs insisted on a tie or
jacket before being allowed into the saloon bar and often resulted in
the pubic bar being packed and the saloon being empty. You may find many
pubs with two doors to a public and saloon bar but once in you may find
that they have been combined into one drinking or food area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/18 16:08, alan_m wrote:

T'up north every pub has a snug where the patrons bring in their
whippets.

Down sarf most pub snugs were ripped out in the 1960s driveÂ* towards
modernisation and formica bar tops.

What's a "snug" look like (I live in York for a few years, not heard
the term)

Quote from a random Google search
"The snug was for patrons who preferred not to be seen in the public
bar. Ladies would often enjoy a private drink in the snug in a time when
it was frowned upon for women to be in a pub. The local police officer
might nip in for a quiet pint, the parish priest for his evening whisky,
or lovers for a rendezvous"

Pubs used to have 3 or more bars separated by wood or wood/glass
partitions, often with their own door to outside. The smaller of these
rooms was often referred to as the snug.Â* You may still find this
arrangement in older 'historic' buildings/pubs but over the past 50 to
70 years these walls have been ripped out of most pubs in order to
provide more space for custom and to make this custom visible to the
staff. That's assuming that the pub doesn't have the invisible customer
policy interrupting the social life of the staff.

When I was a lad and of (underage) drinking age many of the pubs in my
area had both a public bar and a saloon bar with much higher prices for
the same drink in the latter. Many of these pubs insisted on a tie or
jacket before being allowed into the saloon bar and often resulted in
the pubic bar being packed and the saloon being empty. You may find many
pubs with two doors to a public and saloon bar but once in you may find
that they have been combined into one drinking or food area.

Ah. Reminds me of the Cittie of Yorke pub in Holborn, London:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...er=7&autoplay=

Those semi private alcoves were said to be liked by barristers
discussing business with their clients.

Nice pub...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/18 16:08, alan_m wrote:

T'up north every pub has a snug where the patrons bring in their
whippets.

Down sarf most pub snugs were ripped out in the 1960s driveÂ* towards
modernisation and formica bar tops.

What's a "snug" look like (I live in York for a few years, not heard the
term)

Search the page in the following link for the word "snug"

https://www.yorkmix.com/food-drink/y...cask-ale-pubs/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/18 16:08, alan_m wrote:

T'up north every pub has a snug where the patrons bring in their
whippets.

Down sarf most pub snugs were ripped out in the 1960s driveÂ* towards
modernisation and formica bar tops.

What's a "snug" look like (I live in York for a few years, not heard
the term)

Search the page in the following link for the word "snug"

https://www.yorkmix.com/food-drink/y...cask-ale-pubs/

Interesting... Both those pubs were just a bit outside the usual student
routes which probably explains why I've never been in either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2018 23:45, Max Demian wrote:
On 19/03/2018 21:58, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 19/03/2018 17:59, Tim Watts wrote:

A fireman friend told me of a little girl who died because her
bedroom door was well-fitted, a fire started in her room but the
smoke did not trip the detector outside in the hall.

This is why I put units in every habitable room and interlinked them.
No one is sleeping through that!

Why does that require interlinking? (It does require one in her room)

Little kids may not wake to the sound of an alarm, however loud.

But their parents might.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/18 16:08, alan_m wrote:

T'up north every pub has a snug where the patrons bring in their
whippets.

Down sarf most pub snugs were ripped out in the 1960s driveÂ* towards
modernisation and formica bar tops.

What's a "snug" look like (I live in York for a few years, not heard the
term)

Coronation Street 1964 episode
https://youtu.be/GQD-H96X2kw?t=188