Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bunnings (again)

Went in for the first time today.

It was actually quite full, more people that i even saw in a homebase

Though their kitchen offering is poor, and they wouldn't give me a price
list saying that I had to sit down with the planner and have them price it
up

That's one shop I wont be buying from

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That seems a little odd. How are you supposed to shop around if they won't
let you know what stuff costs. Maybe you need to price it up at a few
competitors then show them and say can you undercut these?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"tim..." wrote in message
news
Went in for the first time today.

It was actually quite full, more people that i even saw in a homebase

Though their kitchen offering is poor, and they wouldn't give me a price
list saying that I had to sit down with the planner and have them price it
up

That's one shop I wont be buying from

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
That seems a little odd. How are you supposed to shop around if they won't
let you know what stuff costs. Maybe you need to price it up at a few
competitors then show them and say can you undercut these?

There are prices on the sample units on the wall. and a ball park figure
for the "standard" kitchen in that design

But that doesn't tell you that cupboard A is unavailable with alternative
door X.

Which is the problem that I had in Wren, and is also a problem with the
kitchens in Wickes, even though I do have a price list from them

So you can get a general idea of the price, but not an exact price.

They all have a broken model IMHO (but that's because I'm not, nor am
accompanied by, a 20 something girlie whose only interest in their new car
is what colour it is) where they expect you to choose your style of kitchen
first and then have the cupboards that are available in that style, even if
that (a) produces a compromised layout or (b) is over your price range.

Whereas I want to layout my kitchen with the most efficient use of the space
for cupboards first and then have it costed with the cheapest doors on the
front

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

They all have a broken model IMHO

Inherently: They have actual shops.

I went into our local one yesterday on a whim for the second time (about
8 million staff working) as they stock air tool bits and I fancied an amble.

Now, I rarely go into shops these days and I actually felt so
overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff they did have that it occurred
to me that browsing web sites and catalogues suits me far better for
planning and buying for projects that the loss of the "go and poke and
prod" isn't much of a problem.

I did buy a 1/4" PCL male fitting for under 2 so it wasn't all bad.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2018 18:31, Scott M wrote:
tim... wrote:

They all have a broken model IMHO

Inherently: They have actual shops.

I went into our local one yesterday on a whim for the second time (about
8 million staff working) as they stock air tool bits and I fancied an
amble.

Now, I rarely go into shops these days and I actually felt so
overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff they did have that it occurred
to me that browsing web sites and catalogues suits me far better for
planning and buying for projects that the loss of the "go and poke and
prod" isn't much of a problem.

I did buy a 1/4" PCL male fitting for under £2 so it wasn't all bad.

For most things I prefer an actual shop where I can go and look at what
I want and, when I find the right item, can pay and walk away with it.

Online is good for many things, but you cannot feel the build quality,
measure unlisted dimensions or even properly judge colours online. Plus
you then have to wait for delivery; often miss it and have to wait
again; then find that it is not suitable, have to return it and start
over again.

Or like myself a while back: We needed a tumble dryer ugently after ours
broke (middle of a very rainy period, with 3 children, each who could
need one or more items of school uniform washing, drying and ironing in
the few free hours between getting home and us going to bed).

Found what we wanted, checked stock, ordered for next day delivery.
Phone call that night - only one in stock damaged, no replacement. Next
morning phone office to cancel only to be told they have plenty in
stock. Rearrange for next day. Call at 07:30 to say they haven't. Call
office to cancel, told they are in stock, inform them otherwise, get
them to cancel. Money will be back into account in 5 working days.

Find same item in stock at Boots online. Order. Receive confirmation of
order- hmmm, looks familiar. Boots online use same out of stock
supplier! Cancel again. Money will be back into account in 5 working days.

Drive to a shop, with my trailer, buy and take away there and then.

Loads of hassle and, for a while, almost £1000 out of my account, plus
days of delay. Arggggh!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2018 22:34, Steve Walker wrote:

Drive to a shop, with my trailer, buy and take away there and then.

Loads of hassle and, for a while, almost £1000 out of my account, plus
days of delay. Arggggh!

For white goods many shops only have the one item for display and you
are effectively mail ordering in the shop for next day(s) delivery from
a central warehouse or direct from the manufacturer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2018 22:51, alan_m wrote:
On 14/03/2018 22:34, Steve Walker wrote:

Drive to a shop, with my trailer, buy and take away there and then.

Loads of hassle and, for a while, almost £1000 out of my account, plus
days of delay. Arggggh!

For white goods many shops only have the one item for display and you
are effectively mail ordering in the shop for next day(s) delivery from
a central warehouse or direct from the manufacturer.

Many, but not all.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 22:34:37 +0000
Steve Walker wrote:

On 14/03/2018 18:31, Scott M wrote:

Now, I rarely go into shops these days and I actually felt so
overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff they did have that it
occurred to me that browsing web sites and catalogues suits me far
better for planning and buying for projects that the loss of the
"go and poke and prod" isn't much of a problem.

For most things I prefer an actual shop where I can go and look at
what I want and, when I find the right item, can pay and walk away
with it.

I tend to check prices and availability online before going to
Wickes/Currys/whoever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
On 14/03/2018 18:31, Scott M wrote:

Now, I rarely go into shops these days and I actually felt so
overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff they did have that it
occurred to me that browsing web sites and catalogues suits me far
better for planning and buying for projects that the loss of the "go
and poke and prod" isn't much of a problem.

I did buy a 1/4" PCL male fitting for under £2 so it wasn't all bad.

For most things I prefer an actual shop where I can go and look at what
I want and, when I find the right item, can pay and walk away with it.

Possibly because I didn't have a particular need in mind, just idly
looking at the endless stuff was a bit overwhelming. I did pick through
the tool section happily and decided I wouldn't be buying any of their
sockets or spanners.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

[...]

To think you could have solved all that with a £15 fan.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:26:53 +0000
Scott M wrote:

Possibly because I didn't have a particular need in mind, just idly
looking at the endless stuff was a bit overwhelming. I did pick
through the tool section happily and decided I wouldn't be buying any
of their sockets or spanners.

Whenever I go somewhere like that, that has tons of "useful" stuff, I
get the feeling there's something I needed but can't quite remember.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

Possibly because I didn't have a particular need in mind, just idly
looking at the endless stuff was a bit overwhelming. I did pick
through the tool section happily and decided I wouldn't be buying any
of their sockets or spanners.

Whenever I go somewhere like that, that has tons of "useful" stuff, I
get the feeling there's something I needed but can't quite remember.

Yeah! Or "That looks useful, I'll remember it's here when I need it" and
promptly forget.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:59:58 +0000, Huge wrote:

(As an aside - it's so much cheaper to buy things online, or even at
Screwfix, that I end up buying a huge bag of something to get a small
amount, e.g., 500g of panel pins is a **** load. I'm sure my executor
will be delighted with them.)

My son has already started moaning about all the work he will have
sorting out my stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/16/2018 9:03 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:59:58 +0000, Huge wrote:

(As an aside - it's so much cheaper to buy things online, or even at
Screwfix, that I end up buying a huge bag of something to get a small
amount, e.g., 500g of panel pins is a **** load. I'm sure my executor
will be delighted with them.)

My son has already started moaning about all the work he will have
sorting out my stuff.

We've both started weeding out our various accumulations of stuff - of
course, whatever we get rid of will be something we need a few weeks
later...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Mar 2018 09:59:58 GMT
Huge wrote:

(As an aside - it's so much cheaper to buy things online, or even at
Screwfix, that I end up buying a huge bag of something to get a small
amount, e.g., 500g of panel pins is a **** load. I'm sure my executor
will be delighted with them.)

Hehe. I needed a few split rings a while back, I now have what is
probably a lifetime's supply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-03-16, Rob Morley wrote:
On 16 Mar 2018 09:59:58 GMT Huge wrote:

(As an aside - it's so much cheaper to buy things online, or even at
Screwfix, that I end up buying a huge bag of something to get a small
amount, e.g., 500g of panel pins is a **** load. I'm sure my executor
will be delighted with them.)

Hehe. I needed a few split rings a while back, I now have what is
probably a lifetime's supply.

Panel pins Plastic wall plugs Yellow & green sleeving (a kilometer from
SF was cheaper than 5 meters
from B&Q)
'O' rings Picture pins (they were *50p* *each* in B&Q)
Roll pins Blade fuses (for cars)

All of those here too.

I'm sure there are loads more.

Split pins, grommets, springs, small spatlas (100), small syringes
(100) ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Picture pins (they were *50p* *each* in B&Q)

I noticed halfords selling 2-way wago connectors in individual packages
at £2 each!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 16:37:17 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

====snip====

Split pins, grommets, springs, small spatlas (100), small syringes (100)

I'm guessing you meant "spatulas" rather than "spatlas". I guess the 'U'
key must have ducked out of the way when you typed that. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:25:36 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 00:47:06 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 16:37:17 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

====snip====

Split pins, grommets, springs, small spatlas (100), small syringes
(100)

I'm guessing you meant "spatulas" rather than "spatlas". I guess the
'U'
key must have ducked out of the way when you typed that. :-)

It does that!

The 'A', 'S' and 'D' keys oft-times seem to be playing 'Whack-a-Mole'
with me. I've become so habituated to seeing the result that I'm
automatically double checking they haven't won yet again so I can put
them in their place.

I do 'proof read' my stuff before hitting 'send' (admittedly more out of
vanity than to expunge typos - however, why not put such a 'sin' to a
useful purpose, eh?) but the less typos to start with, the better. I'll
find more than enough typos without the 'Whack-a-Mole' errors adding to
the "fun 'n' games" of attempting to knock out yet another 'perfect'
Usenet missive. :-(

Despite my "Vanity", I still spot the odd missing word or two *only*
*when* it comes back to haunt me after sending my erudite follow ups.
Them I'm forced to accept that I'm 'Not Perfect' after all and think,
"**** it! It's too late now. What's done is done, the context should
rescue the meaning anyway.", consoling myself with the thought that I'm
not alone in suffering this particular affliction.

Apologies for this OT introspection over the (impossible) art of writing
perfect Usenet postings.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

How about grammatical howlers? Less typos...? ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 10:38:42 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

====snip====

I do 'proof read' my stuff before hitting 'send' (admittedly more out
of
vanity than to expunge typos - however, why not put such a 'sin' to a
useful purpose, eh?) but the less typos to start with, the better.

How about grammatical howlers? Less typos...? ;-)

Well spotted! You are Stephen Fry AICMFP! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:50:24 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

Despite my "Vanity", I still spot the odd missing word or two *only*
*when* it comes back to haunt me after sending my erudite follow ups.
Them I'm forced to accept that I'm 'Not Perfect' after all and think,

Damn! yet another typo, "Them" for "Then". :-(

I think I know the reason for refraining from pointing out 'typos'...

....also, another reason to keep follow ups concise - less verbiage, fewer
typos. :-)

--
Johnny B Good