Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Netflix OT

OT for this group but....

Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.

OK so far?

Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the system
froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but no more.

I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2018 20:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
OT for this group but....

Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.

OK so far?

Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the system
froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but no more.

I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?

How long has it been since the subscription started?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
OT for this group but....

Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.

OK so far?

Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the system
froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but no more.

I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?

We watch Netflix on our daughters account. Works absolutely fine.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 11/03/2018 20:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
OT for this group but....
Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.
OK so far?
Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the system
froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but no more.
I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?

How long has it been since the subscription started?

Original unknown but the addition less than 1 month.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Tim+ writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
OT for this group but....

Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.

OK so far?

Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the system
froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but no more.

I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?

We watch Netflix on our daughters account. Works absolutely fine.

I think other films are OK.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 9:15:06 PM UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 11/03/2018 20:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
OT for this group but....
Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.
OK so far?
Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the system
froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but no more.
I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?

How long has it been since the subscription started?

Original unknown but the addition less than 1 month.

--
Tim Lamb

Have to say "The Crown" was probably the best piece of tv I've ever seen, and I'm not normally a fan of such things. Claire Foy said Netflix "just allowed us to get on with the job", and it shows.
Must investigate the 3 friends thing. Sounds too good to be true
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
OT for this group but....

Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is apparently
allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.

OK so far?

not really

according to Netflix FAQ:

Pick your price, pick your plan! Netflix offers 3 membership plans to suit
your needs. Your plan will determine how many people can stream Netflix
content at once, and whether you can view in Standard Definition (SD), High
Definition (HD), or Ultra High Definition (UHD):
.. Basic Plan: 1 screen plan SD (watch on 1 screen at a time, Standard
Definition)
..Standard Plan: 2 screen plan HD (watch on 2 screens at the same time, High
Definition when available)
..Premium Plan: 4 screen plan HD/UHD 4K (watch on 4 screens at the same time,
includes High Definition and Ultra High Definition when available)

so getting the plan with 4 uses costs more than the plan with 1 user (it's
9.99 v 5.99), so how is the extra 3 users free?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
OT for this group but....

Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.

OK so far?

Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the system
froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but no more.

I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?

My experience with netflix was that I could login using my sons details
- not a separate account - and even create a different profile for
viewing preferences. We were both on the same wifi network and hence ip
address, and even watching different media at the same time but I've
also heard of others doing the same thing from different addresses.

This worked reliably over a long period not just an introductory bonus.

My son dropped his subscription about a year ago as he got free Amazon
prime as a student deal so we not longer use netflix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes

My experience with netflix was that I could login using my sons details
- not a separate account - and even create a different profile for
viewing preferences. We were both on the same wifi network and hence
ip address, and even watching different media at the same time but I've
also heard of others doing the same thing from different addresses.

We have the basic plan, allowing one viewer at a time, with non HD
images, but yes, within that, each of us (three) can log in and create
our own profile, but, as far as I am aware, only one of us can watch at
a time. Does not seem to matter where we log in from i.e. it is not IP
address dependant.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

but aren't they fundamentally different offerings

It's not like saying "we no longer shop in Tesco because Sainsbury's is more
convenient"

isn't it "We no longer have to buy apples because we buy oranges"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:

Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.
OK so far?

I think anyone can have a month free trial

Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the system
froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but no more.
I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?

I can't see them doing "buy one, get three free" on anything other than
a trial basis

My experience with netflix was that I could login using my sons details
- not a separate account - and even create a different profile for
viewing preferences.

The number of concurrent screens, and whether you can have SD/HD/UHD
depends on the monthly fee.

We were both on the same wifi network and hence ip
address, and even watching different media at the same time but I've
also heard of others doing the same thing from different addresses.

Given people watching on phones/tablets over 3G/4G and TVs/PCs over
WiFi, I doubt they pay too much attention to who logs in from where,
provided they stay under the concurrent limit.

This worked reliably over a long period not just an introductory bonus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Clearly not free. I think the original subscription was £8.50 but VAT
would bring it up over a tenner.

I'm a disinterested bystander:-)

She is trying to watch it on an i-pad.....

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes
In message , Bob Minchin
writes

My experience with netflix was that I could login using my sons
details - not a separate account - and even create a different profile
for viewing preferences. We were both on the same wifi network and
hence ip address, and even watching different media at the same time
but I've also heard of others doing the same thing from different addresses.

We have the basic plan, allowing one viewer at a time, with non HD
images, but yes, within that, each of us (three) can log in and create
our own profile, but, as far as I am aware, only one of us can watch at
a time. Does not seem to matter where we log in from i.e. it is not IP
address dependant.

Hmm.. so if someone else were logged in, what indication would you get?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pamela
writes
On 21:14 11 Mar 2018, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message

t, Tim+ writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
OT for this group but....

Youngest daughter has signed up for Netflix or whatever and is
apparently allowed to sign up 3? friends for free.

OK so far?

Wife got halfway through *The Crown* well hooked:-) and the
system froze: happily downloads episodes up to where she got but
no more.

I suspect this is a marketing ploy but you may know different?

We watch Netflix on our daughters account. Works absolutely fine.

I think other films are OK.

I wonder if there's some corrupt cached data on your tv. If you turn
the tv off and on at the mains, maybe that will clear it.

Use another device to play the same movie to see if it has the same
problem.

I seem to recall a Netflix fault with restarting a film you had been
watching but the fault wouldn't appear if you started a new film.

There used to be a freephone number on the Netflix site and a code to
link your call to your account. Personally, I would resist attempts to
reset your whole tv unless you're happy with reconfiguring it.

She is using an i-pad so she can sit next to the log burner:-)

I'll suggest she watches something else and see if that clears it.

We have tried on/offing the i-pad without improvement.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Clearly not free.

No

I suspect that people just go for the one with all the knobs and whistles
(even if the don't want them), such as Ultra HD

and that just happens to come with 4 subs.

I think the original subscription was £8.50 but VAT would bring it up over
a tenner.

I'm a disinterested bystander:-)

She is trying to watch it on an i-pad.....

Why would anyone want Ultra HD on an iPad?

(that's a generic question, not specifically aimed at you)

tim

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

I'll suggest she watches something else and see if that clears it.

We have tried on/offing the i-pad without improvement.

Have you also tried going -Settings- Safari- Clear History and website
data.

GH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Marland
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

I'll suggest she watches something else and see if that clears it.

We have tried on/offing the i-pad without improvement.

Have you also tried going -Settings- Safari- Clear History and website
data.

No. Will do. I don't touch the thing unless we have taken it on holiday.

Ta.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 09:12:09 +0000, tim... wrote:

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

We share son's account.

I assume we are on the 2 * HD (as I can't see him settling for SD or
paying for 4 screens).

No problems so far apart from bursts of buffering (probably due to the VM
Tivo).

So something specific to the iPad presumably.

As others have suggested, try it on another device and see if that works.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Graeme
writes

each of us (three) can log in and create our own profile, but, as far
as I am aware, only one of us can watch at a time.

Hmm.. so if someone else were logged in, what indication would you get?

Just a message saying someone else already logged in.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2018 11:43, Jethro_uk wrote:

On a related note, YouGov seems convinced that there is a class of people
who holiday based not on destination,

I can see this.
People may first select an airport and then see what holiday
destinations are served from that airport.
Traveling internally in the UK to a distant airport with associated
train fares, parking charges, hotel costs etc. and the loss of possibly
two days 'holiday' for this traveling may add significantly to the cost
of a holiday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2018 08:48, stuart noble wrote:
On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 9:15:06 PM UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

Original unknown but the addition less than 1 month.

If logging in from someone else's subscription (or free trial) could the
original subscription or trial have come to an end and/or has been
down-graded from a 4 user account to a 1 user account to save money?.
Unless you are actually paying a subscription you are reliant on a third
party maintaining their subscription.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

On 12/03/2018 11:43, Jethro_uk wrote:

On a related note, YouGov seems convinced that there is a class of people
who holiday based not on destination,

I can see this.
People may first select an airport and then see what holiday
destinations are served from that airport.
Traveling internally in the UK to a distant airport with associated
train fares, parking charges, hotel costs etc. and the loss of possibly
two days 'holiday' for this traveling may add significantly to the cost
of a holiday.

The set of people who will choose a destination and use whatever airport
is needed will be identified by their selecting all the London airports
in their answer.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 12/03/2018 11:43, Jethro_uk wrote:

On a related note, YouGov seems convinced that there is a class of people
who holiday based not on destination,

I can see this.
People may first select an airport and then see what holiday
destinations are served from that airport.
Traveling internally in the UK to a distant airport with associated
train fares, parking charges, hotel costs etc. and the loss of possibly
two days 'holiday' for this traveling may add significantly to the cost
of a holiday.

Alternatively they go to the airport used by their preferred airline
which has routes they want to use.

Frinstance... Easyjet, based at Luton and less than 10 miles up the
road, do not fly to Madeira in the winter months unless you go from
Gatwick...

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

I never really looked at either in detail tbh.

My nose is in my laptop most of the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I never really looked at either in detail tbh.

My nose is in my laptop most of the time.

A decade or three back that would have been considered a disgusting habit.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2018 08:48, stuart noble wrote:

Have to say "The Crown" was probably the best piece of tv I've ever seen, and I'm not normally a fan of such things. Claire Foy said Netflix "just allowed us to get on with the job", and it shows.
Must investigate the 3 friends thing. Sounds too good to be true

Just joined Netflix to watch "The Crown" in UHD. All 20 episodes during
the trial period. Worked very well, and have now terminated
subscription. I am wondering what will happen if I want to watch Netflix
again in the future, will there be another trial period? My TV appears
to have stored some userid (email address) details.

--
Michael Chare