Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC Two: The Repair Shop

Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

For those of you who enjoy diagnosing and repairing things,
you might want to look and see if there are any repair events
near to you. I've done these for many years and find them very
enjoyable and satisfying. Most people turn up thinking we will
repair their appliances, but the idea is very much to show them
how to do it themselves, giving them a level of confidence to
open and fix something which they didn't have before, provide
the tools, and making sure they do it safely. Of course, there
are many occasions when we end up doing it with them watching,
but it's still rewarding for them to see it being done.
For me, I like the challenge of diagnosing and fixing something,
and the reaction of the owner when you get it working again.

The two organisations coordinating the events in the UK a
The Restart Project - mainly in London, but also some other countries.
https://therestartproject.org/
Repair Cafe - mainly outside London, and also worldwide.
https://repaircafe.org/en/visit/
The Restart Project, Repair Cafe, and iFixit organisations all
work closely together.

Pretty well all events do electrical and electronic repairs,
and these are normally the most in demand.
Depending on local skills and local demand, you can also find
coverage for laptops, tablets, phones (these can be popular
where the repair skills are available), bikes, mechanical,
furniture, clothes, jewelry, and more.

In addition to repairers, each event also needs organisers,
so even if you don't think you are up to helping people
diagnosing and repairing their things, you can still be
very useful at an event. Some events also pride themselves
on the homemade cakes and other refreshments, and the people
who go to the trouble to make those for the events are also
much appreciated.

And of course, if you have something broken which needs fixing
and you don't have the skills or the tools, you can take it
along. Whilst I'm normally a repairer, I have taken a shirt
along to be repaired when it caught on something and ripped
a button-hole.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 21:18:22 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
writes:
[...]

why do they have a thing about microwaves?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 March 2018 23:26:18 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
"We approached our new microwave oven with the trepidation of two people
returning to a reactor station after a leak."
Fanny Cradock (Daily Telegraph 1979)

The oven didn't glow green as brightly as her coloured mashed potato?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:49:16 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

Owain

If it's a repeat of the original or a 2nd series, you may be in for a
disappointment. The original series was more in the genre of "Lifestyle"
programming aimed at a BBC1 audience rather than an honest to goodness DIY
"Howto" for a BBC2/4 audience. :-(

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 23:37:22 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:49:16 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

Owain

If it's a repeat of the original or a 2nd series, you may be in for a
disappointment. The original series was more in the genre of "Lifestyle"
programming aimed at a BBC1 audience rather than an honest to goodness
DIY "Howto" for a BBC2/4 audience. :-(

It's a second series - 15 episodes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/18 23:03, tabbypurr wrote:

And of course, if you have something broken which needs fixing
and you don't have the skills or the tools, you can take it
along. Whilst I'm normally a repairer, I have taken a shirt
along to be repaired when it caught on something and ripped
a button-hole.

why do they have a thing about microwaves?

Deadly repaired wrongly?

so are many appliances

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/18 00:03, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 23:37:22 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:49:16 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

Owain

If it's a repeat of the original or a 2nd series, you may be in for a
disappointment. The original series was more in the genre of "Lifestyle"
programming aimed at a BBC1 audience rather than an honest to goodness
DIY "Howto" for a BBC2/4 audience. :-(

Someone should wave a camera in a real repair cafe, and do a
continuously updated youtube channel or video podcast?

That might fly? ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:
[...]

The only time I repaired a microwave, I removed the casing, made an
electrical repair and replaced the casing - with no effect on shielding
or seals, so no worries.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Often its getting over concepts to people. I think many have been led to
believe that its a black art, but its really logic once one understands the
concepts of what happens inside stuff.

I used to do videos and cd players which in the main were down to broken
bits of naff plastic or dodgy cables, a bit like computers of the desktop
variety.
Sadly with greater integration and might I say poorer design and cheap
components, one finds that in order to fix something it requires a whole
module even if one tiny thing is the problem. The person who invented
surface mount has a lot to answer for.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
writes:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A thing?
Well microwaves are very dangerous things. Two reasons. the very high
voltages inside them for the magnetron, and also the safety aspect of
running them with the covers off, ie leakage of the RF potentially frying
ones bits.

In the old days CRT TVs were also frowned upon for non skilled people, since
the same problems existed, in this case the radiation could be x Rays.

There is also an my view, a significant, but lesser danger with anything
with a lithium/Ion battery inside it. These can catch fire or blow up if bad
replacements are performed or indeed poor repairs that might short out the
battery.
Brian

--
----- -

writes:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 01:42:30 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/03/2018 23:03, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Other problem areas are charge stored in the HT capacitor, which can kill a whole queue of people, and the interlock shorting resistor, which if failed leaves the user with an ineffective and sometimes faulty interlock. Failed stirrer mechanisms can create risk of food poisoning, and rust can (seldom) create a leakage problem. The wrong type of fuse can also be double bad news for microwaves. An uncommon issue is asbestos flock, presumably applied for sound damping.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

[...]

Running them without the outer cover does not cause leakage, and microwave oven leakage does not fry anyone's bits.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 00:12:41 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Someone should wave a camera in a real repair cafe, and do a
continuously updated youtube channel or video podcast?
That might fly? ...

Naked Appliance Fixers Does Cat Cafe might make it to E4.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2018 00:03, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 23:37:22 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:49:16 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

Owain

If it's a repeat of the original or a 2nd series, you may be in for a
disappointment. The original series was more in the genre of "Lifestyle"
programming aimed at a BBC1 audience rather than an honest to goodness
DIY "Howto" for a BBC2/4 audience. :-(

It's a second series - 15 episodes.

They never show the interesting difficult bits. Always a big jump
between original mess to almost finished.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2018 23:37, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:49:16 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

If it's a repeat of the original or a 2nd series, you may be in for a
disappointment. The original series was more in the genre of "Lifestyle"
programming aimed at a BBC1 audience rather than an honest to goodness DIY
"Howto" for a BBC2/4 audience. :-(

Yeah I was disappointed by the first series. Some of the repairs were
rather weird or done for sentimental reasons of items that really
weren't worth repairing. There was a longcase clock where they added a
sort of strike mechanism that made a ting once an hour. They didn't
explain why it didn't have a proper strike mechanism which, I think,
they nearly all have - or why there was a hole in the dial for the
strike winder. Perhaps none of the mechanism was original.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:
[...]

Some events won't handle them, others will.
Generally the Restart Project events won't handle them.

There are a number of pitfalls for the repairer which many
won't know about, specifically the HV capacitor charge, and
the requirement not to operate them with the cover off.
Very few people will understand the destructive interlock
failure most microwave ovens use, and that fuse replacement
is not an adequate repair for interlock failures.
There's also the safety of the visitors, usually including
children who in particular are amazed to see appliances opened
up, and there's a danger they'll stick fingers in. (I do take
the opportunity to explain how something works if the owners
are the slightest bit interested, and children always are.)
Microwaves have special requirements for PAT testing which even
many people who do know generally how to PAT test will not be
familiar with. Yesterday, I failed a microwave for a rusted
cavity, an issue which another PAT tester was not aware of.
None of the events carry microwave leakage testers for checking
the case and door have been reassembled correctly.

Quite simply, the unknown unknowns are too many for most
repairers to work safely on Microwaves.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz writes:
On 11/03/18 00:03, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 23:37:22 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:49:16 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

Owain

If it's a repeat of the original or a 2nd series, you may be in for a
disappointment. The original series was more in the genre of "Lifestyle"
programming aimed at a BBC1 audience rather than an honest to goodness
DIY "Howto" for a BBC2/4 audience. :-(

I watched a few before becoming bored, for exactly that reason.

Someone should wave a camera in a real repair cafe, and do a
continuously updated youtube channel or video podcast?

That might fly? ...

We've been on the telly a few times, but several hours of filming
is condensed into about 15 seconds, the maximum time the presenter
thinks the audience will stick with anything technical before
changing channel. It's in stark contrast to the interest shown by
often completely non-technical visitors who turn up at the events,
and are fascinated by the diagnosis and repair of both their
appliances, and those brought along by others.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
We've been on the telly a few times, but several hours of filming
is condensed into about 15 seconds, the maximum time the presenter
thinks the audience will stick with anything technical before
changing channel.

Not usually the presenter in charge. Some just out of uni researcher -
sorry producer - just filling in time till he gets to work on 'proper'
telly, or even better, films.

--
*WHAT IF THERE WERE NO HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2018 08:36, Brian Gaff wrote:

The person who invented
surface mount has a lot to answer for.

But surface mount and greater integration is the reason you can put a
mobile phone in your pocket and it's not the size and weight of a house
brick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2018 17:18, alan_m wrote:
On 11/03/2018 08:36, Brian Gaff wrote:

The person who invented
surface mount has a lot to answer for.

But surface mount and greater integration is the reason you can put a
mobile phone in your pocket and it's not the size and weight of a house
brick.

Surface mount is repairable if you have the tools and skill.
From what I saw of the first series the experts weren't that skilful in
what they did.
The carpenter was probably the most skilful of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/18 12:23, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz writes:
[...]

I don't watch much dumbed down TV for that reason.

Prefer much more technical detail that exists on YouTube about the
subject, not the person, their presentation style, their back story etc.

It's incidental, but not the whole story.

Think I should turn up to one of those repair events

--
Adrian C