Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC Two: The Repair Shop

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 01:42:30 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 10/03/2018 23:03, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 10 March 2018 21:18:22 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The two organisations coordinating the events in the UK a
The Restart Project - mainly in London, but also some other countries.
https://therestartproject.org/
Repair Cafe - mainly outside London, and also worldwide.
https://repaircafe.org/en/visit/
The Restart Project, Repair Cafe, and iFixit organisations all
work closely together.

Pretty well all events do electrical and electronic repairs,
and these are normally the most in demand.
Depending on local skills and local demand, you can also find
coverage for laptops, tablets, phones (these can be popular
where the repair skills are available), bikes, mechanical,
furniture, clothes, jewelry, and more.

why do they have a thing about microwaves?

The only time I repaired a microwave, I removed the casing, made an
electrical repair and replaced the casing - with no effect on shielding
or seals, so no worries.

SteveW

Other problem areas are charge stored in the HT capacitor, which can kill a whole queue of people, and the interlock shorting resistor, which if failed leaves the user with an ineffective and sometimes faulty interlock. Failed stirrer mechanisms can create risk of food poisoning, and rust can (seldom) create a leakage problem. The wrong type of fuse can also be double bad news for microwaves. An uncommon issue is asbestos flock, presumably applied for sound damping.

NT