Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default BBC Two: The Repair Shop

Often its getting over concepts to people. I think many have been led to
believe that its a black art, but its really logic once one understands the
concepts of what happens inside stuff.

I used to do videos and cd players which in the main were down to broken
bits of naff plastic or dodgy cables, a bit like computers of the desktop
variety.
Sadly with greater integration and might I say poorer design and cheap
components, one finds that in order to fix something it requires a whole
module even if one tiny thing is the problem. The person who invented
surface mount has a lot to answer for.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
writes:
Starts on Monday, 6.30, BBC2. 15 progs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08...casts/upcoming

For those of you who enjoy diagnosing and repairing things,
you might want to look and see if there are any repair events
near to you. I've done these for many years and find them very
enjoyable and satisfying. Most people turn up thinking we will
repair their appliances, but the idea is very much to show them
how to do it themselves, giving them a level of confidence to
open and fix something which they didn't have before, provide
the tools, and making sure they do it safely. Of course, there
are many occasions when we end up doing it with them watching,
but it's still rewarding for them to see it being done.
For me, I like the challenge of diagnosing and fixing something,
and the reaction of the owner when you get it working again.

The two organisations coordinating the events in the UK a
The Restart Project - mainly in London, but also some other countries.
https://therestartproject.org/
Repair Cafe - mainly outside London, and also worldwide.
https://repaircafe.org/en/visit/
The Restart Project, Repair Cafe, and iFixit organisations all
work closely together.

Pretty well all events do electrical and electronic repairs,
and these are normally the most in demand.
Depending on local skills and local demand, you can also find
coverage for laptops, tablets, phones (these can be popular
where the repair skills are available), bikes, mechanical,
furniture, clothes, jewelry, and more.

In addition to repairers, each event also needs organisers,
so even if you don't think you are up to helping people
diagnosing and repairing their things, you can still be
very useful at an event. Some events also pride themselves
on the homemade cakes and other refreshments, and the people
who go to the trouble to make those for the events are also
much appreciated.

And of course, if you have something broken which needs fixing
and you don't have the skills or the tools, you can take it
along. Whilst I'm normally a repairer, I have taken a shirt
along to be repaired when it caught on something and ripped
a button-hole.

--
Andrew Gabriel