Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default new interior door handle latch won't fully retract, locking you in or out

I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms. Worked great.
I changed them out for the same brand and style only with lock. Now the latch
doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get in/out. Is there a
quick fix? Why would that happen. I have 3 and all have the exact same
problem.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...g-1274070-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rachael was thinking very hard :
I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms. Worked great.
I changed them out for the same brand and style only with lock. Now the
latch
doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get in/out. Is there a
quick fix? Why would that happen.

Obviously that happened because you are posting via the lame homehub
site, rather than using a properly newsgroup application.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I doubt that but at least its not a reply to a years old post.
Thinking about this logically it can only be two things, either the travel
of the rotation is more for the locking version of the lock in the door, or
something is obstructing it.
I'd take it all apart and check the lock actually does what it should
externally first.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Rachael was thinking very hard :
I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms. Worked
great. I changed them out for the same brand and style only with lock.
Now the latch
doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get in/out. Is
there a
quick fix? Why would that happen.

Obviously that happened because you are posting via the lame homehub site,
rather than using a properly newsgroup application.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 14:44, Rachael wrote:
I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms. Worked
great. I changed them out for the same brand and style only with lock.
Now the latch
doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get in/out. Is
there a
quick fix? Why would that happen. I have 3 and all have the exact same
problem.

I have found when the latches themselves wear internally, they do
slightly less retraction for a given amount of rotation. So if the new
handles turn them slightly less, the only option might be new latches to
go with them.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do these use the old square bars? I noticed some time ago some enterprising
Herbert had decided to make these out of nylon, and hence they wear and can
even break off!

I do sometimes wonder if people have ever heard of the old adage, if its
not bust don't fix it.
Brian

--
----- -

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 07/03/2018 14:44, Rachael wrote:
I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms. Worked
great. I changed them out for the same brand and style only with lock.
Now the latch
doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get in/out. Is
there a
quick fix? Why would that happen. I have 3 and all have the exact same
problem.

I have found when the latches themselves wear internally, they do slightly
less retraction for a given amount of rotation. So if the new handles turn
them slightly less, the only option might be new latches to go with them.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rachael m wrote:
I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms. Worked great.
I changed them out for the same brand and style only with lock. Now the latch
doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get in/out. Is there a
quick fix? Why would that happen. I have 3 and all have the exact same
problem.

These sort of handles usually have a stop in each handle. If you've used
the old fixing holes it is likely reaching the stop before the latch has
retracted fully.

Remove the fixing screws and turn the handle so the latch is fully
retracted. Mark new screw holes with a pencil, drill pilot holes and fix.
Do the same both sides.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2018 14:44, Rachael wrote:
I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms.
Worked great. I changed them out for the same brand and style only
with lock. Now the latch doesn't fully retract keeping you from being
able to get in/out. Is there a quick fix? Why would that happen. I
have 3 and all have the exact same problem.

My first guess would be that the square hole in the new handle is bigger
than on the previous handles by 1mm or so. Some of the handle movement
is therefore used up absorbing the slack in the mechanism. Brass shims
or a bigger square section rod through the door will sort that out.

The other possibility is that the lock itself that controls the lever is
damaged and doesn't rotate correctly any more. Disturbing something that
was about to break anyway might tip it over the edge. I had one on an
external door fail fairly recently locking me out for a while. The
square hole central casting had split in two making it impossible to
retract the catch without some cunning and a very large screwdriver.

Luckily I had tools in the garage to take it apart and let myself in.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rachael wrote:

the latch doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get
in/out.

Did you buy lever handles for sprung latches, or lever handles for
unsprung latches?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Do these use the old square bars?

Sometimes the new handles require new smaller bars, so you end up
needing a new latch, and if you're not careful the latch requires the
hole in a different place, so you end up making more work just to fit
new handles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had one on an
external door fail fairly recently locking me out for a while. The
square hole central casting had split in two making it impossible to
retract the catch without some cunning and a very large screwdriver.

Luckily I had tools in the garage to take it apart and let myself in.

I have had the same. A nasty casting that often powders away, leaving a
deposit in the cavity.

I bought new handles "sets" complete with shafts, latch and striker plates.
Very inexpensive on Ebay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
Rachael m
wrote:
I had new Gate House interior lever door handles for bedrooms.
Worked great. I changed them out for the same brand and style only
with lock. Now the latch doesn't fully retract keeping you from
being able to get in/out. Is there a quick fix? Why would that
happen. I have 3 and all have the exact same problem.

These sort of handles usually have a stop in each handle. If you've
used the old fixing holes it is likely reaching the stop before the
latch has retracted fully.

Remove the fixing screws and turn the handle so the latch is fully
retracted. Mark new screw holes with a pencil, drill pilot holes and
fix. Do the same both sides.

Looks a bit daft with rectangular escutcheons!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in news:fgah11Foh7rU1
@mid.individual.net:

Rachael wrote:

the latch doesn't fully retract keeping you from being able to get
in/out.

Did you buy lever handles for sprung latches, or lever handles for
unsprung latches?

The set-up feels horrid if everything is not sprung.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

To save everyone a load of trouble, I suspect the OP is in the USA, and
the locks she is talking about are he
https://www.ebay.com/b/Gatehouse-Doo...64/bn_89095944

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
These sort of handles usually have a stop in each handle. If you've
used the old fixing holes it is likely reaching the stop before the
latch has retracted fully.

Remove the fixing screws and turn the handle so the latch is fully
retracted. Mark new screw holes with a pencil, drill pilot holes and
fix. Do the same both sides.

Looks a bit daft with rectangular escutcheons!

True. You'd then be down to dismantling the handle and filing down the
stop.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.