Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bathroom locking door handle

am i right in thinking you need to buy the set of handles eg:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58995/...-Satin-Chrome#

as well as the mortice lock part that goes inside the door like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/52058/...20LOCK-_-52058

my dad seems to think you only need the handles and it has its own
locking thing without buying a new mortice lock, and without having to
chisel and fit it.

any one know for sure?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:

am i right in thinking you need to buy the set of handles eg:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58995/...re/Classic/Ecl
ipse-Cadenza-WC-Door-Handle-Satin-Chrome#
as well as the mortice lock part that goes inside the door like this:

my dad seems to think you only need the handles and it has its own locking
thing without buying a new mortice lock, and without having to chisel and
fit it.
any one know for sure?

For those handles, you do need the lock. Easy to find out by looking at
the install instructions linked on that page.

You can buy handles which do not need the lock, they have a lever inside
which stops the handle turning. Probably far cheaper than a lock and
handles.
Howdens do them but they are trade only, no idea who else does them.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:52:29 +0100, A.Lee wrote:
You can buy handles which do not need the lock, they have a lever inside
which stops the handle turning. Probably far cheaper than a lock and
handles.

That style's very common here in the US - I bought a set (handles + latch
mechanism) for our bathroom door a month or so ago for $8 from a local DIY
shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
benpost wrote:
am i right in thinking you need to buy the set of handles eg:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58995/...-Satin-Chrome#

as well as the mortice lock part that goes inside the door like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/52058/...20LOCK-_-52058

my dad seems to think you only need the handles and it has its own
locking thing without buying a new mortice lock, and without having to
chisel and fit it.

any one know for sure?

That's what it says you need.

There are bathroom locks where the locking mechanism is in the handle,
though.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:

am i right in thinking you need to buy the set of handles eg:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58995/...re/Classic/Ecl
ipse-Cadenza-WC-Door-Handle-Satin-Chrome#
as well as the mortice lock part that goes inside the door like this:

my dad seems to think you only need the handles and it has its own locking
thing without buying a new mortice lock, and without having to chisel and
fit it.
any one know for sure?

For those handles, you do need the lock. Easy to find out by looking at
the install instructions linked on that page.

You can buy handles which do not need the lock, they have a lever inside
which stops the handle turning. Probably far cheaper than a lock and
handles.
Howdens do them but they are trade only, no idea who else does them.
Alan.

This one uses a simple Mortise latch .
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/53407/...lished-Chrome#

I've got one like that and turning the knob locks the handles .I'm
not sure how the other type works as externally they look similar .

--------------
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
You can buy handles which do not need the lock, they have a lever inside
which stops the handle turning. Probably far cheaper than a lock and
handles.
Howdens do them but they are trade only, no idea who else does them.
Alan.

B&Q at least. Complete set with mortice latch, etc. Also matching dummies.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

First off - the pdf linked to from the screwfix page for the handle
set says "Requires WC Mortice Lock 13563" (which isn't a screwfix
number).

But both types of lock exist. Some bathroom handle sets allow the
locking thumb-turn to block the movement of the handle - so only a
latch is needed.

Others use an entirely separate bolt, e.g. using these two together:

(I quoting these exact parts because I recently used and was happy
with them)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/46533/...tainless-Steel

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31465/...tainless-Steel

with this latch:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/27227/...ss-Chrome-76mm

(this tubular type is a lot easier to fit)

*Along with* a locking bolt in the same physical package as the latch.

(amazingly, screwfix doesn't sell the seperate bolt required for that
thumbturn)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

i went in b and q and did not see a complete set option . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:36:30 -0700 (PDT), benpost
wrote:

i went in b and q and did not see a complete set option . . .

You can get the handles which lock and a mortice latch from Screwfix
..

--------------
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , A.Lee
writes
benpost wrote:

am i right in thinking you need to buy the set of handles eg:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58995/...re/Classic/Ecl
ipse-Cadenza-WC-Door-Handle-Satin-Chrome#
as well as the mortice lock part that goes inside the door like this:

my dad seems to think you only need the handles and it has its own locking
thing without buying a new mortice lock, and without having to chisel and
fit it.
any one know for sure?

For those handles, you do need the lock. Easy to find out by looking at
the install instructions linked on that page.

You can buy handles which do not need the lock, they have a lever inside
which stops the handle turning. Probably far cheaper than a lock and
handles.
Howdens do them but they are trade only, no idea who else does them.
Alan.

My experience is the less expensive ones do not last - my parents had
them in holiday accommodation and the handle could (innocently) be
forced - the self lock did not work. Spent some time replacing them with
those which have a separate mortice bolt.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail