Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lockmaster French Door Locking

I have a set of uPVC French Doors with a Lockmaster locking strip (4
rollers - 2 claws and a shoot bolt). It is getting so that it needs a fairly
brutal pull up on the handle before the Euro Cylinder lock will operate. It
seems at though whatever blocks the cylinder from turning too early in the
locking operation is at the limit of its adjustment. I am worried that my
wife may not have the strength to get it to lock - or I might induce wear in
the mechanism by being too hard with the handle.

Does anyone know what I can do to make locking it a bit easier (it is all
well lubricated and I have taken the cylinders out to ensure the cam is
greased.).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I have a set of uPVC French Doors with a Lockmaster locking strip (4
rollers - 2 claws and a shoot bolt). It is getting so that it needs a fairly
brutal pull up on the handle before the Euro Cylinder lock will operate. It
seems at though whatever blocks the cylinder from turning too early in the
locking operation is at the limit of its adjustment. I am worried that my
wife may not have the strength to get it to lock - or I might induce wear in
the mechanism by being too hard with the handle.

Does anyone know what I can do to make locking it a bit easier (it is all
well lubricated and I have taken the cylinders out to ensure the cam is
greased.).

Mine has always been like it - I just cant be arsed adjusting it!
As far as I can see, it is not the lock that is at fault, mine will turn
without hindrance when the door is open, it is the alignment of the
doors, both the height, and the gap between the doors.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I have a set of uPVC French Doors with a Lockmaster locking strip (4
rollers - 2 claws and a shoot bolt). It is getting so that it needs a
fairly brutal pull up on the handle before the Euro Cylinder lock will
operate. It seems at though whatever blocks the cylinder from turning too
early in the locking operation is at the limit of its adjustment. I am
worried that my wife may not have the strength to get it to lock - or I
might induce wear in the mechanism by being too hard with the handle.

Does anyone know what I can do to make locking it a bit easier (it is all
well lubricated and I have taken the cylinders out to ensure the cam is
greased.).

It's nothing to do with the lock cylinder.
It sounds like the rollers or hook bolt are binding on the keepers/striking
plates.
As already suggested try the locking mechanism with the door open, if it
works okay its probable your door has dropped a bit, adjust hinges
accordingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scabbydug" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks - I put some thick grease into the roller slots to see it they
were bottoming. One was and others were close. I gave the 3 hinges about 1/8
turn with the Allen key adjustment and it is now like silk.