Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default uPVC door not closing/locking

My front door will not close and lock properly.

When I try to lift the handle to engage the locking mechanism the top bolt
shown here in the closed position will not move properly

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=339or53&s=5

This bolt will not move into the locked position as shown here

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=axxyxk&s=5

unless if I apply a small upwards force on the bolt when lifting the handle
(which is not possible when the door is closed) or use brute force on the
door handle.

Any ideas?

I have managed to shut and lock the door shut tonight using force but it
will need repairing ASAP.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:
My front door will not close and lock properly.

When I try to lift the handle to engage the locking mechanism the top bolt
shown here in the closed position will not move properly

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=339or53&s=5

This bolt will not move into the locked position as shown here

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=axxyxk&s=5

unless if I apply a small upwards force on the bolt when lifting the handle
(which is not possible when the door is closed) or use brute force on the
door handle.

Any ideas?

I have managed to shut and lock the door shut tonight using force but it
will need repairing ASAP.

Adam

Sound like the door has dropped. Can you adjust the hinges to move it
back up a little, using a wedge at the bottom to support the weight, so
the bolt isn't catching on the bottom of the lock mortice?
Alternatively, how about putting a chamfer on the bottom of the bolt so
it will pull the door up when the bolt is pushed into the mortice (or
extend the mortace down...)?

A bit if a temporary fix though since it won't be fixing the real
problem, which I hope is just a little wear in the hinges or simply that
the door has dropped on it's adjusters and can be tweaked back up again.

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Weston" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:
[...]

100% not a hinge problem.

It is the bolt shown in the photo that is sticking for some reason. Even
when the door is open (as shown in the photo) the top bolt will only
lock/move if I apply a small amount of upward pressure to it or use a lot of
force on the door handle.

The door is probably 20 years old.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

"ARWadsworth" wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I had to tweak our front door a while back - one of the plates on the frame
had slipped. Wonder if that has happenened - or the opposite: the bolt has
worn, become looser and dropped. Does the plate the bolt engages with have
any adjustment?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:
[...]

Has the frame moved?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:
[...]

I cannot get the handle to lift even when the door is not in the door frame.
It has got to be part of the door locking mechanism that has dropped or
worn.

Adam