Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric car sales

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

We probably were there at the turn of the century but like now, they
were expensive and not practical for many because of the lack of
charging points and so limited range (so died out for all but milk
floats and local utility vehicles).

I still have my Enfield 8000 (Moke) but to charge it I had to drive it
into the back garden. That's ok unless someone hasn't parked across my
drive. ;-(

I wonder if that situation might change what I understand to be the
response of the Police to people blocking access to your drive. I
understood they would get people moved to let you out but not
necessarily move people to let you back on the drive again? Not good
if that's the only charging point you can make it to? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

We probably were there at the turn of the century but like now, they
were expensive and not practical .

Although your reason is accurate for both €śturn of the century€ť is a bit
ambiguous now.
Could mean 19th to 20th or 20th to 21st.
Electric vehicles were around for both €śturns €ś.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 18:03:26 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

The best selling electric car is the Nissan Leaf made in UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 00:54:45 -0800, harry wrote:

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 18:03:26 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...ric-car-sales-

rise-china-demand-market-asia-global-q3-profits-2017-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

The best selling electric car is the Nissan Leaf made in UK

Made in the UK for a short while longer.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

The best selling electric car is the Nissan Leaf made in UK

It benefits from having been made for longer than most of its
competitors. The latest figures show sales of 101,679 since its
introduction in December 2010. By comparison, the second best seller,
overall, the Tesla S, introduced in the middle of 2012, has sold 85,762,
which is a higher annual rate of sales. However, both those are dwarfed
by the 282,000 electric cars sold in China in the past year alone. Of
those, 94% were domestic models, 4% were Tesla (mostly Model X), 1% BMW
and 1% spread between all other foreign brands.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 18:31:07 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
[...]

I thought it was the other way round. You have no legal right to get your vehicle from
your property onto the public highway but must have the ability to remove your vehicle
from the highway. Or am I wrong?

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

The best selling electric car is the Nissan Leaf made in UK

ITYM 'assembled in the UK'

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit
fully once out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh,
harry?

The best selling electric car is the Nissan Leaf made in UK

Nice looking car, almost 'french'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 10:29:10 +0000, Paul Herber
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 18:31:07 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
[...]

Pass. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb 2018 02:14:41 GMT, Marland
wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

We probably were there at the turn of the century but like now, they
were expensive and not practical .

Although your reason is accurate for both “turn of the century” is a bit
ambiguous now.
Could mean 19th to 20th or 20th to 21st.
Electric vehicles were around for both “turns “.

Well, one might guess that I was talking about the period where
electric vehicles *first* appeared and were used in reasonable
numbers. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

The best selling electric car is the Nissan Leaf made in UK

It benefits from having been made for longer than most of its
competitors. The latest figures show sales of 101,679 since its
introduction in December 2010. By comparison, the second best seller,
overall, the Tesla S, introduced in the middle of 2012, has sold 85,762,
which is a higher annual rate of sales. However, both those are dwarfed
by the 282,000 electric cars sold in China in the past year alone. Of
those, 94% were domestic models, 4% were Tesla (mostly Model X), 1% BMW
and 1% spread between all other foreign brands.

And Musk is making a thumping loss on his car and storage battery
business
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...on-musk-spacex

That suggests that the loss is due to heavy investment in future
products. What is important in the long terms is whether that investment
results in even better profits in future. It is not as if he can't
afford it.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2018 18:31, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

We probably were there at the turn of the century but like now, they
were expensive and not practical for many because of the lack of
charging points and so limited range (so died out for all but milk
floats and local utility vehicles).

I still have my Enfield 8000 (Moke) but to charge it I had to drive it
into the back garden. That's ok unless someone hasn't parked across my
drive. ;-(

Around my there are hundreds of long streets where people have no
driveway and cars are parked on both sides along the whole length of the
streets. No way of charging a vehicle unless thousands of people run
their extension cords across the pavements or charging points are
provided every car two lengths.

I wonder who will be paying for this infrastructure and the subsequent
upkeep (rhetorical question). What comes first - people buying the cars
and trying to find somewhere overnight to charge them during periods of
low energy demand or provide the facilities that few people will use
until take-up of electric cars reaches a substantial number.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 17:27:24 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 07/02/2018 18:31, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
[...]

People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 17:27:22 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

snip

I still have my Enfield 8000 (Moke) but to charge it I had to drive it
into the back garden. That's ok unless someone hasn't parked across my
drive. ;-(

Around my there are hundreds of long streets where people have no
driveway and cars are parked on both sides along the whole length of the
streets. No way of charging a vehicle unless thousands of people run
their extension cords across the pavements or charging points are
provided every car two lengths.

I wonder who will be paying for this infrastructure and the subsequent
upkeep (rhetorical question). What comes first - people buying the cars
and trying to find somewhere overnight to charge them during periods of
low energy demand or provide the facilities that few people will use
until take-up of electric cars reaches a substantial number.

Talking to a builder nephew the other day he said they are fitting
electrical hookups on the new builds they are wiring. I believe he
suggested they were the blue / 16A round sockets you see on caravan
sites etc?

As you say though, I'm pretty sure the infrastructure simply would
cope for many years.

Maybe we should make all electric car owners who want to charge their
vehicles during any high load time is to have a switch under the meter
marked House / Car. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08-Feb-18 10:29 AM, Paul Herber wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 18:31:07 +0000, T i m wrote:

I wonder if that situation might change what I understand to be the
response of the Police to people blocking access to your drive. I
understood they would get people moved to let you out but not
necessarily move people to let you back on the drive again? Not good
if that's the only charging point you can make it to? ;-(

I thought it was the other way round. You have no legal right to get your vehicle from
your property onto the public highway but must have the ability to remove your vehicle
from the highway. Or am I wrong?

In both cases, the vehicle is causing an unnecessary obstruction and can
be booked for that offence. However, it will only be removed if it is
stopping somebody from leaving their drive. If it is stopping them
entering, the official position is that the car trying to enter the
drive can park somewhere else and invoking the Removal and Disposal of
Vehicles Regulations 1986 is not justified.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08-Feb-18 6:13 PM, harry wrote:
People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

I have a garage with an electricity supply, but it is far too useful for
other purposes to use it just to store my car.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

The best selling electric car is the Nissan Leaf made in UK

Not according to actual facts.
China has ~50% of world production of electric cars and they aren't leafs.
Not that brexiteers care about facts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 10:13:27 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

snip

People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

Typical low EQ fanatical Brexiteer statement.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8066896.html

Something else the UK is at the forefront of and can exploit fully once
out of the EU and free to trade with the world, eh, harry?

We probably were there at the turn of the century but like now, they
were expensive and not practical .

Although your reason is accurate for both €śturn of the century€ť is a bit
ambiguous now.
Could mean 19th to 20th or 20th to 21st.
Electric vehicles were around for both €śturns €ś.

Well, one might guess that I was talking about the period where
electric vehicles *first* appeared and were used in reasonable
numbers. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

So the 1800s then.
Electric cars then had about the same range as the leaf at about 75 miles.
The only really practical electric car appear to be the renault zoe
which can easily do 130+ miles on a charge and can use fast DC chargers.
The leaf does less than 100 miles on a charge.

The big drawback is you can't charge a zoe for 16 hours from a 13A
socket without paying for a ~ÂŁ550 option, you just have to make do with
the 6 hours charge from the free 32A outlet they install for you.
The leaf comes with a 13A charge cable but no 32A charger outlet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2018 18:31, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
[...]

So there should be no on street parking wherever you want to go.
I think we all agree you should do as you say harry.
No more parking on the street for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Feb 2018 17:27:22 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Around my there are hundreds of long streets where people have no
driveway and cars are parked on both sides along the whole length of the
streets. No way of charging a vehicle unless thousands of people run
their extension cords across the pavements or charging points are
provided every car two lengths.

I wonder who will be paying for this infrastructure and the subsequent
upkeep (rhetorical question). What comes first - people buying the cars
and trying to find somewhere overnight to charge them during periods of
low energy demand or provide the facilities that few people will use
until take-up of electric cars reaches a substantial number.

It'll be blamed on the EU.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 19:51:57 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 08/02/2018 18:13, harry wrote:

snip

People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

So there should be no on street parking wherever you want to go.

Nice catch. Stupid fanatical Brexiteer harry. ;-)

I think we all agree you should do as you say harry.

Maybe he never stops anywhere because nobody likes him? ;-(

No more parking on the street for you.

His valet parks his cars for him and the driver just goes off and
waits till he's called again (obviously not very far when in the EV).
;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2018 18:38, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

So if I can't get into my drive, can I claim that I need access to
couple up and drive off with my trailer rather than for parking? Failing
that, I suppose I could tell them that I need to get the kit-car out.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2018 18:31, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-car-sales-ris
[...]

On the contrary, there would be more parking available for visitors to
the area if residents weren't allowed to keep their vehicles on the
highway permantly.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:52:43 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

snip

On the contrary, there would be more parking available for visitors to
the area if residents weren't allowed to keep their vehicles on the
highway permantly.

The problem being much of England was put together when few could
afford to own a horse and cart themselves and those who could, also
had the land to store them.

There are many estates that were built with narrow streets and apart
from the garage (often too narrow to take a current vehicle), little
in the way of off-street parking.

We asked the council to put us a dropped kerb in so I could park the
kitcar (or electric car) on the front. I measured it up as requested
and submitted the application. A week or so later I saw a guy
wandering around our front garden and I asked him what he was up to.
He was from the council and had come down to see if he could get their
minimum dimension requirements by say going on the side of the garden
rather than the front. It turned out he couldn't and so we weren't
allowed to have the dropped kerb, because the room wasn't long enough
for their rules, even it was far longer than the vehicles we may want
to put on there?

When I contested that point they said that if it was less than their
minimum and I park a vehicle longer than that on there and it
overhangs the pavement it would be considered 'their fault'.

I asked whose fault it would be if the front was large enough and I
then bought a stretched limo and 'that' ended up across the path? They
said it would be my fault? shrug

From my POV, I would be responsible for *anything* that obstructed the
public footpath and I could still use the dropped kerb to allow me to
put my motorcycles on there? They didn't seem to have the facility for
that which leaves me wheeling (rather than riding / driving) motorised
vehicles across the public footpath?

Luckily, where we live the road is very wide and you can have vehicles
parked both sides and still (easily) get two articulated lorries
passing each other. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

The brave new world of harry.

I'd say harry shouldn't be allowed to drive anywhere that doesn't have an
off road car park.

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 08-Feb-18 6:13 PM, harry wrote:
People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

I have a garage with an electricity supply, but it is far too useful for
other purposes to use it just to store my car.

I don't know anyone who uses their garage for their car. ;-)

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/18 17:27, alan_m wrote:
No way of charging a vehicle unless thousands of people run their
extension cords across the pavements or charging points are provided
every car two lengths.

The latter. They did it with parking meters already

If urban user-owned BEV becomes a reality, this is something that local
councils might look into, along with e.g. making every point a wifi or
4G hotspot.

However te way te modoern urban spaceman^H^H^H^H^H^snowflake is going,
is away from ownership of anything towards service rental a la Uber.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 18:41:12 UTC, Nightjar wrote:
On 08-Feb-18 6:13 PM, harry wrote:
People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

I have a garage with an electricity supply, but it is far too useful for
other purposes to use it just to store my car.

Ah yes. The idiot syndrome.
Leaves twenty grand car out in all weathers and fills the garage with junk.
I have two cars, two garages and......a shed for the junk.
Car insurance is cheaper too.
And they all have electricity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2018 18:31, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 07 Feb 2018 17:56:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
harry wrote:
[...]

Why should I need to park on the street?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 08/02/2018 18:13, harry wrote:

snip

People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

So there should be no on street parking wherever you want to go.

Nice catch. Stupid fanatical Brexiteer harry. ;-)

I think we all agree you should do as you say harry.

Maybe he never stops anywhere because nobody likes him? ;-(

No more parking on the street for you.

His valet parks his cars for him and the driver just goes off and
waits till he's called again (obviously not very far when in the EV).
;-)

Cheers, T i m

I have two cars thanks.
The electric one is perfect for shopping/local journeys.
I use the Roller for longer journeys.
I rarely park the electric car on the street.
I never park the Roller on the street.
I never leave either outdoors overnight.
I have room on my driveway for about ten cars if I have visitors.
Plus more on the patio if necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 February 2018 01:11:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harry wrote:
People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

The brave new world of harry.

I'd say harry shouldn't be allowed to drive anywhere that doesn't have an
off road car park.

I don't know anyone that has to park their car on the street.
Council house chavs do it I suppose.

Always seems stupid to me. Living in a ******** and two or three cars parked outside. I thought council houses were for poor people?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

The brave new world of harry.

I'd say harry shouldn't be allowed to drive anywhere that doesn't have an
off road car park.

Do you live in a "sinkhole" council estate Dave?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 18:26:20 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 17:27:22 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

snip

[...]

There's plenty of drivel out there on this topic.
Most people will go to work in their electric car and slow charge it by night on economy seven.
As I do when the sun isn't shining.
So, for the immediate future, there is no problem about the system being overloaded.
In fact it will improve the electrical system efficiency
You do talk a lot of bollix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 23:27:01 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 22:52:43 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

snip

[...]

From my POV, I would be responsible for *anything* that obstructed the
public footpath and I could still use the dropped kerb to allow me to
put my motorcycles on there? They didn't seem to have the facility for
that which leaves me wheeling (rather than riding / driving) motorised
vehicles across the public footpath?

Luckily, where we live the road is very wide and you can have vehicles
parked both sides and still (easily) get two articulated lorries
passing each other. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I thought council house car owners put a plank in the gutter so they could park on their front lawn?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , Nightjar
wrote:
On 08-Feb-18 6:13 PM, harry wrote: ...
People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

I have a garage with an electricity supply, but it is far too useful
for other purposes to use it just to store my car.

I don't know anyone who uses their garage for their car. ;-)

my wife's car gets into just over half of our garage. Being built in the
early 1970s, the double garage isn't wide enough for two modern cars. We
managed a Cortina & a (real) Mini at one time.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/02/18 17:27, alan_m wrote:
No way of charging a vehicle unless thousands of people run their
extension cords across the pavements or charging points are provided
every car two lengths.

The latter. They did it with parking meters already

Parking meters can't provide 30+A of charging current. The early ones were
clockwork - now that's an idea - clockwork cars

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
People with no off-street parking shouldn't be allowed to have cars.
They are a menace.

The brave new world of harry.

I'd say harry shouldn't be allowed to drive anywhere that doesn't have
an off road car park.

I don't know anyone that has to park their car on the street. Council
house chavs do it I suppose.

Few Victorian terraces provided space for car parking. Even in upmarket
araes

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Internet car sales Bill[_18_] UK diy 32 July 24th 17 08:45 PM
How to neutralising car-battery acid splashed into car engine compartment. Ricky C UK diy 10 February 15th 05 10:45 AM
Wet car carpets an the waterproof membrane in car doors Phil UK diy 49 November 7th 04 01:06 AM
bicycle meets car car wins Steve Knight Woodworking 66 October 20th 04 04:05 AM
Car radio will not play when car is cold Dan Electronics Repair 2 February 13th 04 04:08 PM