Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot Nob

TheChief wrote:

the control job on the electric oven was getting hot.

worn contacts?

Any plate or sticker with full make/model on it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2018 22:07, TheChief wrote:
Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was
when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks

Phil

Just the one knob or all of them?

All the knobs:-
Many grill in the top of the oven have a deflector plate that you have
to pull out when grilling, most that don't require you to close the
door. Having the door open and no deflector lets lots of heat get to the
knobs.

One knob:-
Its probably faulty and needs replacing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 February 2018 22:07:51 UTC, TheChief wrote:
Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was
when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks

Phil

bad switch contacts or poor connection to the wires. Either way it'll deteriorate & burn open circuit or less likely worse.

it won't be down to grill heat, not unless it's very old, modern ovens aren't permitted to let the controls get burning hot in operation.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 23:45:46 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I've been looking for a replacement gas hob and have been looking at
user reviews on some web sites. I've seen 2 reviews where the users
have said that placing a pan on the burner directs the flame towards the
control knobs which get hot! Form memory, these reviews were for hobs
nearer the top end of the price range.

Operator error? Not turning the gas down so that the flame is under
the pan (and thus heating it) rather than blazing up the sides with
the heat disappearing into the room.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 09:16, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 23:45:46 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I've been looking for a replacement gas hob and have been looking at
user reviews on some web sites. I've seen 2 reviews where the users
have said that placing a pan on the burner directs the flame towards the
control knobs which get hot! Form memory, these reviews were for hobs
nearer the top end of the price range.

Operator error? Not turning the gas down so that the flame is under
the pan (and thus heating it) rather than blazing up the sides with
the heat disappearing into the room.

Or possibly using a large a pan carelessly so it overhangs the knob and
spreads the flame.

Don't ask me how I know but I still like my big oval saute pan

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 23:45:46 +0000, alan_m wrote:

I've been looking for a replacement gas hob and have been looking at
user reviews on some web sites. I've seen 2 reviews where the users
have said that placing a pan on the burner directs the flame towards the
control knobs which get hot! Form memory, these reviews were for hobs
nearer the top end of the price range.

Operator error? Not turning the gas down so that the flame is under
the pan (and thus heating it) rather than blazing up the sides with
the heat disappearing into the room.

Did a bit of property maintenance in Australia and was called to an
Indian tenants residence about a gas hob,Knobs had melted, They used
such giant pots that they covered knobs and the flames got at them.

At another Indians place I was called because flames were coming from
under the hob, The aluminium gas feed pipes to the ring had melted, same
cause, giant cooking pots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 22:07:48 +0000 (GMT+00:00)
TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was

when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Door not shutting properly - the latch might need adjusting, or the door
seal replacing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was

when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Door not shutting properly - the latch might need adjusting, or the door
seal replacing.

In grill mode you are supposed to have the door open anyway.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was

when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Door not shutting properly - the latch might need adjusting, or the door
seal replacing.

In grill mode you are supposed to have the door open anyway.

Tim

Not on mine you don't it will switch off if you open the door.
The OP hasn't said what model it is so it may or may not be so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
TheChief wrote:

Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was
when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Door not shutting properly - the latch might need adjusting, or the door
seal replacing.

In grill mode you are supposed to have the door open anyway.

Tim

Not on mine you don't it will switch off if you open the door.
The OP hasn't said what model it is so it may or may not be so.

Im surprised. Are you sure thats true grill mode and not just top
element in oven only mode?

A red hot grill element, a pan full of bacon and a closed door sounds like
a recipe for disaster.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 03/02/18 22:07, TheChief wrote:
Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was
when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

My oven has a fan to cool the space between hob and top oven. This is
intended to keep the controls cool. If yours is similar perhaps the fan
has failed.

--
djc

(̿Ĺ̯̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2018 19:33, Tim+ wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
TheChief wrote:

[...]

Its a series six bosch and it grills really well.
Its red hot on maximum but not on minimum.
The oven and seals can cope with the 450C pyrolytic mode so a hot grill
is nothing.

It also has hot air grilling and top/bottom/fan/microwave heating too or
combinations of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DJC Wrote in message:
On 03/02/18 22:07, TheChief wrote:
Hi Guys

On my visit to the daughter's flat in Edinburgh she was
complaining that the control job on the electric oven was getting
hot.
I think this was
when the device was set to grill mode but not sure.
The nob reached a temperature that required a cloth to operate.

Any ideas what's going on here?

My oven has a fan to cool the space between hob and top oven. This is
intended to keep the controls cool. If yours is similar perhaps the fan
has failed.

--
djc

(?????? ?)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Thanks DJC

That sounds a possibility.

One thing I missed from my description - I'm pretty sure it
wasn't the whole control panel heating up.
The heat seemed to be concentrated to the right half of the
control panel where the grill selector nob is located.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/02/2018 21:28, TheChief wrote:
DJC Wrote in message:
[...]

Could it be that the seal on the door is faulty allowing heat to escape
upwards to the control knobs.