Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Prefabricated shower cubicles

I want a prefabricated shower cubicle for use on a floor with bouncy
castle-like properties of horizontality,[1] rigidity and flatness.
Therefore, unlike many of them, it cannot rely on rigid connections to
the walls. Presumably some flexible sort of safety chain would be ok.
There isn't even a solid wall I could bracket it to, assuming that were
possible.

Other requirements are that it has to be dismantleable so it can be
taken upstairs through the gaps between floor joists, and it should have
one horizontal dimension of at least 75cm

Has anyone got any suggestions? I have in mind a mains pressure mixer
valve from a combi boiler supply, though I suppose I could consider an
electric shower. I am not sure a second one on a 60Amp mains supply is
ok even with diversity though.

Oh, and it would be nice if it were cheap, not too heavy and waterproof!

[1] I presume I can correct for initial slope so it moves about a
horizontal initial position.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2018 20:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
I want a prefabricated shower cubicle for use on a floor with bouncy
castle-like properties of horizontality,[1] rigidity and flatness.
Therefore, unlike many of them, it cannot rely on rigid connections to
the walls. Presumably some flexible sort of safety chain would be ok.
There isn't even a solid wall I could bracket it to, assuming that were
possible.

Other requirements are that it has to be dismantleable so it can be
taken upstairs through the gaps between floor joists, and it should have
one horizontal dimension of at least 75cm

Has anyone got any suggestions? I have in mind a mains pressure mixer
valve from a combi boiler supply, though I suppose I could consider an
electric shower. I am not sure a second one on a 60Amp mains supply is
ok even with diversity though.

They (UK Power) will upgrade a 60 or 80amp supply to 100A FOC, provided
your 'tails' are 25mm (or more I assume). The service is very slick- all
arranged on line, took about 20min in our case, plus a chat about PME.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 30 January 2018 22:35:34 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

In Russia you get an 8A feed on 2 core aluminium.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Good to know. Though I don't know if the smaller leads for the
Economy 7 timer will upset them.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

[...]

Has no-one got any advice about these things? Even what not to buy
would be useful!

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/02/2018 01:23, Roger Hayter wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 20:46:39 +0000
(Roger Hayter) wrote:

[...]

This satisfies only some of your requirements

https://www.bathroomvillage.com/bran...lly-complete-s
howering-temple-nickel.html

Thanks. That appears to meet all my technical requirements (assuming it
is built in situ) but the price is a bit steep. It's also a bit bigger
than I would have liked, but I suppose that adds to stability.

Isn't it also extremely ugly? YMMV.

Have you tried googling for shower pods? That seems to produce what you
want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Roger Hayter) wrote:

[...]

I like it. One could base a gothic horror film round it.

Have you tried googling for shower pods? That seems to produce what you
want.

Yes, but I have three problems. Firstly, are they any good, which is
one reason i was asking here? Secondly, do they need to be fixed
rigidly to the wall? Thirdly, how narrow is the smallest panel it can
be dismantled to? The latter two questions can usually only be
answered from the detailed assembly instructions and, often, not even
then. I have several times resorted to emailing, and not always got a
convincing answer then. I was just hoping for a recommendation.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

You seem to have a problem. Just use a damp sponge. Anything more will
be too heavy for the structure of the house.

More helpfully, I did come across a fibreglass shower cubicle once in
the plumbers merchant. It consisted of 3 or 4 cross sections through
the shower cubicle that stacked on top of one another with widely
overlapping joints. It was claimed to be leakproof-ish, and I can
believe that. I can't remember how the door was done. Perhaps a curtain
would be better? I've never seen another one like it, but it sounds just
like what you might want.

Try googling sectional fibreglass shower cubicle. That brought up, for
example:
https://blog.advanced-showers.com/en...ss-shower-pods

If you look at their brochure you'll see that they have fibreglass
shower pods that stack in the way I described.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

You seem to have a problem. Just use a damp sponge. Anything more will
be too heavy for the structure of the house.

More helpfully, I did come across a fibreglass shower cubicle once in
the plumbers merchant. It consisted of 3 or 4 cross sections through
the shower cubicle that stacked on top of one another with widely
overlapping joints. It was claimed to be leakproof-ish, and I can
believe that. I can't remember how the door was done. Perhaps a curtain
would be better? I've never seen another one like it, but it sounds just
like what you might want.

Try googling sectional fibreglass shower cubicle. That brought up, for
example:
https://blog.advanced-showers.com/en...r-all-with-fib
reglass-shower-pods

If you look at their brochure you'll see that they have fibreglass
shower pods that stack in the way I described.

Many thanks, looks promising!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley wrote:
An all-around curtain is very light and could flex without leaking as
long as it stayed inside a deep shower tray. Then you just have to
support the plumbing. ISTR seeing somewhere a "telescopic" curtain, a
cylinder of fabric supported on hoops that hung on a pulley system.

I was interested to note this solution to the problem of having a
funny-shaped room and nowhere for the plumbing to go:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-46853367.html
picture 8

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
An all-around curtain is very light and could flex without leaking as
long as it stayed inside a deep shower tray. Then you just have to
support the plumbing. ISTR seeing somewhere a "telescopic" curtain, a
cylinder of fabric supported on hoops that hung on a pulley system.

I was interested to note this solution to the problem of having a
funny-shaped room and nowhere for the plumbing to go:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-46853367.html
picture 8

Theo

Thanks both for more ideas.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04 Feb 2018 22:41:35 +0000 (GMT)
Theo wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
An all-around curtain is very light and could flex without leaking
as long as it stayed inside a deep shower tray. Then you just have
to support the plumbing. ISTR seeing somewhere a "telescopic"
curtain, a cylinder of fabric supported on hoops that hung on a
pulley system.

I was interested to note this solution to the problem of having a
funny-shaped room and nowhere for the plumbing to go:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-46853367.html
picture 8

They've avoided rather than solved the difficulty of installing a fixed
shower head in that style. A squirty telephone is better than nothing I
suppose ...