Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kinedo shower cubicles

Has anyone installed a Kinedo self-contained shower cubicle -

http://www.kinedo.co.uk/Self-Contained_Cubicles.aspx

It seems like a good idea, as there is no sealant or grouting to leak.
Any positive/negative comments on these products?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jun, 10:52, " wrote:
Has anyone installed a Kinedo self-contained shower cubicle -

http://www.kinedo.co.uk/Self-Contained_Cubicles.aspx

It seems like a good idea, as there is no sealant or grouting to leak.
Any positive/negative comments on these products?

Thanks.

I was completely changing the layout of the kitchen/bathroom area of
my house a couple of years ago which meant that the bathroom was out
of action for a few months. I put one of these together as a temporary
shower in a spare room (basically a big cupboard!), and plumbed it in
like a washing machine! I've now finished the bathroom and intend to
re-use this as an ensuite shower in a couple of years' time.

It was very easy to put together, except that the suppliers neglected
to send some of the bits. You need to be able to get all the way round
it while fitting though, so if it's going in a tight space it might be
tricky.

I would worry about the quality if it was to be your main shower. The
doors are good quality, with nice ball-bearing rollers, but the shower
tray is quite plasticy, not like the stone resin ones I would like.
Also you'll lose quite a bit of space behind & to the side of it so,
again, if space is tight I'd be tempted to fit a standard shower tray
and tile the walls.

If you're interested in the sauna option then this is probably the
best product!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 1:19 pm, Bodgit wrote:
On 24 Jun, 10:52, " wrote:

Has anyone installed a Kinedo self-contained shower cubicle -

http://www.kinedo.co.uk/Self-Contained_Cubicles.aspx

It seems like a good idea, as there is no sealant or grouting to leak.
Any positive/negative comments on these products?

Thanks.

I would worry about the quality if it was to be your main shower. The
doors are good quality, with nice ball-bearing rollers, but the shower
tray is quite plasticy, not like the stone resin ones I would like.
Also you'll lose quite a bit of space behind & to the side of it so,
again, if space is tight I'd be tempted to fit a standard shower tray
and tile the walls.

I don't understand how we lose space behind. All the pictures I've
seen show this unit in a corner. There is no gap between the shower
cubicle and the wall.
The main advantage of this self-contained cubicle is that you don't
have to tile, and so eliminate a possible cause of leaking. No tiling
also means it's easier to install.
A standard shower tray is also prone to leaking at the join with the
wall - in fact that's exactly what happened to our previous shower. It
leaked for a long time, and eventually wrecked the plasterboard.

Specific question I have a-

How easy is it to assemble/install?
How durable is it?
Is it really leak-proof?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 25, 1:19 pm, Bodgit wrote:
On 24 Jun, 10:52, " wrote:

[...]

If you are specifically worried about leaks at the interface between tray
and tiles you can get trays with upstands to fit most shapes. I looked at
the prefab units and decided that they were relatively expensive compared to
a more d-i-y approach.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't understand how we lose space behind. All the pictures I've
seen show this unit in a corner. There is no gap between the shower
cubicle and the wall.

The shower tray fits against the wall at the bottom, but the shower
tray is slightly tapered, I assume so the manufacturers can get it out
of the mould, so by the time you get to the top you're already about
an inch from the wall. The moulded upright sections then slot inside
the lip of the shower tray, giving about another inch from the wall.
The upright sections are moulded into fancy shapes so at some points
it's around 6" from the wall. The section in the corner where the
shower riser rail is mounted cuts the corner, so in total this is over
a foot from the corner.

The main advantage of this self-contained cubicle is that you don't
have to tile, and so eliminate a possible cause of leaking. No tiling
also means it's easier to install.

A standard shower tray is also prone to leaking at the join with the
wall - in fact that's exactly what happened to our previous shower. It
leaked for a long time, and eventually wrecked the plasterboard.

It's definitely easier to install. If tiling is done properly with
waterproof cement, and the grout pushed well into the joints, tiling
down to the shower tray, then sealed with silicon then there's no
reason for it to leak. If you're paranoid then you can tile onto
aquapanel cement board, which will not deteriorate if it gets wet.

Specific question I have a-

How easy is it to assemble/install?

very

How durable is it?

I haven't used it for very long but I would worry about the longevity
of the tray.

Is it really leak-proof?

The upright sections fit inside the shower tray, which has a lip.
Water can get under these sections but there should not be enough
power in the water to get over the lip on the tray. If you were to
spray the shower directly under the uprights then you might be able to
build up enough water to get over the lip, but if the flexible pipe
goes through the loop as per the water regs then it shouldn't be
possible to get the shower head down this far. The uprights are made
from 2 sections which are connected together by a long u-shaped piece
of plastic, so any water leaking through should be deposited on the
tray, behind the panels and will seep back in.

So yes you do get water behind panels but it's all designed to fall
into the shower tray behind the panels then fall back into the cubicle
and down the plughole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I looked at
the prefab units and decided that they were relatively expensive compared to
a more d-i-y approach.

Agreed, unless you want the steam option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 25, 5:16 pm, "Andy McKenzie"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 25, 1:19 pm, Bodgit wrote:
On 24 Jun, 10:52, " wrote:

[...]

Really? I priced up a thermostatic shower, merlin raised shower tray
with upstander, and Novelini cubicle at around £800. Plus cost of
tiles. Add to this installation costs, which I've been quoted as 3
days @ £150/day. I'm looking at around £1300.

The prefab unit can be bought for around £550, and I reckon I could
install that myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 25, 5:16 pm, "Andy McKenzie"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 25, 1:19 pm, Bodgit wrote:
On 24 Jun, 10:52, " wrote:

[...]

I've No argument with that, I reckon I paid about £500 for the shower tray,
enclosure and a thermostatic mixer. I did my own plumbing and tiling, so
there was a fair amount of time (although nothing really difficult) and the
cost of the tiles on top. I was looking at pod units that came in circa £900
so it seemed a bargain to me - if I had come across the Kinedo stuff I might
have been tempted that way.

Andy