Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy McKenzie Andy McKenzie is offline

Default Kinedo shower cubicles

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 25, 5:16 pm, "Andy McKenzie"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 25, 1:19 pm, Bodgit wrote:
On 24 Jun, 10:52, " wrote:

Has anyone installed a Kinedo self-contained shower cubicle -

http://www.kinedo.co.uk/Self-Contained_Cubicles.aspx

It seems like a good idea, as there is no sealant or grouting to
leak.
Any positive/negative comments on these products?

Thanks.

I would worry about the quality if it was to be your main shower. The
doors are good quality, with nice ball-bearing rollers, but the shower
tray is quite plasticy, not like the stone resin ones I would like.
Also you'll lose quite a bit of space behind & to the side of it so,
again, if space is tight I'd be tempted to fit a standard shower tray
and tile the walls.

I don't understand how we lose space behind. All the pictures I've
seen show this unit in a corner. There is no gap between the shower
cubicle and the wall.
The main advantage of this self-contained cubicle is that you don't
have to tile, and so eliminate a possible cause of leaking. No tiling
also means it's easier to install.
A standard shower tray is also prone to leaking at the join with the
wall - in fact that's exactly what happened to our previous shower. It
leaked for a long time, and eventually wrecked the plasterboard.

Specific question I have a-

How easy is it to assemble/install?
How durable is it?
Is it really leak-proof?

If you are specifically worried about leaks at the interface between tray
and tiles you can get trays with upstands to fit most shapes. I looked at
the prefab units and decided that they were relatively expensive compared
a more d-i-y approach.

Andy

Really? I priced up a thermostatic shower, merlin raised shower tray
with upstander, and Novelini cubicle at around £800. Plus cost of
tiles. Add to this installation costs, which I've been quoted as 3

days @ £150/day. I'm looking at around £1300.

The prefab unit can be bought for around £550, and I reckon I could
install that myself.

I've No argument with that, I reckon I paid about £500 for the shower tray,
enclosure and a thermostatic mixer. I did my own plumbing and tiling, so
there was a fair amount of time (although nothing really difficult) and the
cost of the tiles on top. I was looking at pod units that came in circa £900
so it seemed a bargain to me - if I had come across the Kinedo stuff I might
have been tempted that way.

Andy