Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing GU10 bulbs

I bought a strip light fitting holding four GU10 lamps, from John Lewis. It
is mounted to the concrete ceiling by its central mount point.

John Lewis supplied four lamps. I fitted them and switched on. The
illumination was pathetic. I checked the packaging - 330 Lumens.

Fortunately I had some 450 Lumen lamps that I had purchased from Costco.
When I tried to remove the John Lewis lamps, I could not gain purchase.
Stumped for a bit I googled and found a little gadget advertised for £1 plus
£3,95 packaging that supposedly did the job. I decided to chance it.

When it arrived, it comprised a short handle hinged to a head with a
diameter much smaller than the lamp and covered in a concave disk of the
kind of plastic used for 'Screwy Louis' for opening jar tops.

Anyway, I gave it a try. Push up, twist and remove. It worked perfectly.
I reckon it was value for money.

If you are interested the site is: www.tools-warehouse.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/01/2018 12:45, Pinnerite wrote:
I bought a strip light fitting holding four GU10 lamps, from John Lewis. It
is mounted to the concrete ceiling by its central mount point.

John Lewis supplied four lamps. I fitted them and switched on. The
illumination was pathetic. I checked the packaging - 330 Lumens.

Fortunately I had some 450 Lumen lamps that I had purchased from Costco.
When I tried to remove the John Lewis lamps, I could not gain purchase.
Stumped for a bit I googled and found a little gadget advertised for £1 plus
£3,95 packaging that supposedly did the job. I decided to chance it.

When it arrived, it comprised a short handle hinged to a head with a
diameter much smaller than the lamp and covered in a concave disk of the
kind of plastic used for 'Screwy Louis' for opening jar tops.

Anyway, I gave it a try. Push up, twist and remove. It worked perfectly.
I reckon it was value for money.

If you are interested the site is: www.tool-warehouse.co.uk

Did the part arrive with a nice piece of spam?

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

[...]

Just a tasteless cardboard backing and an invoice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

ARW Wrote in message:
[...]

Inextricably embedded perchance?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pinnerite wrote:
[...]

Did you try household rubber gloves first? Works here where the GU10 is
recessed.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So who in their right mind would design lampholders that are so difficult to
remove lamps from?
I do hope somebody brought this to the shops notice, I doubt anyone has
tried in the company, believing them to be as described.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Pinnerite" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd expect it did, but I have heard of this problem before, but not from
John Lewis hence my last post.
It seems to me that not all sockets are actually very well designed. Maybe
they were in fact made by the company making the tool. itts a bit like all
these security screws you commonly find that need a special tool to remove
them.
First create your problem then sell everyone the solution to it!

Brian

--
----- -

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 09:41:47 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

So who in their right mind would design lampholders that are so difficult to
remove lamps from?
I do hope somebody brought this to the shops notice, I doubt anyone has
tried in the company, believing them to be as described.
Brian

Indeed. GU10 fittings are the spawn of the devil.

--
insert witty sig here
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 12:45:30 UTC, Pinnerite wrote:
[...]

A bit of bluetack works wonders for me.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So who in their right mind would design lampholders that are so
difficult to remove lamps from? I do hope somebody brought this to the
shops notice, I doubt anyone has tried in the company, believing them
to be as described.
Brian

Indeed. GU10 fittings are the spawn of the devil.

About the most fiddly connector ever designed. If, indeed, it was designed.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

[...]