Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fatboy40

Default GU10 bulbs and poor lifespan

There realy isn't much information on the above around so I thought I'd ask
in here.

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling, they're rated for say 1500
hours but for many they last only a few weeks, this happens to me no matter
what brand I buy.

I've noticed that some say you should not handle the bulbs directly but this
seems to be some sort of urban myth. Also LED GU10's seem to be a solution,
however, the amount of light they emit is less than a standard 50 w GU10.

Is there one brand of bulb you can buy that doesn't fail so quickly or if
you choose to install GU10 fittings do you just have to get used to
replacing them regularly ?.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"Fatboy40" no one here, sorry wrote in message
There realy isn't much information on the above around so I thought I'd
ask in here.

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling, they're rated for say
1500 hours but for many they last only a few weeks, this happens to me no
matter what brand I buy.

We have 15 GU10's in our Kitchen since April 05, they are on a lot - I don't
seem to be replacing them all the time, I think I have replaced 3 in 8-9
months!

They are installed with nothing above them (well, the roof is between 1 and
3 meters away) - are yours covered over at the top with insulation or
something?

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fatboy40

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

We have 15 GU10's in our Kitchen since April 05, they are on a lot - I
don't seem to be replacing them all the time, I think I have replaced 3 in
8-9 months!

They are installed with nothing above them (well, the roof is between 1
and 3 meters away) - are yours covered over at the top with insulation or
something?

Sparks...

They have good ventilation so that shouldn't be an issue for me, they're in
little metal 'pods' that protrude form the ceiling by about 2 1/2 inches.

I know that there are some people out there, like yourself, who have had
good experiances with GU10's, there just seem to be many like me on a merry
go round of bulb replacement

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"Fatboy40" no one here, sorry wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .

We have 15 GU10's in our Kitchen since April 05, they are on a lot - I
don't seem to be replacing them all the time, I think I have replaced 3
in 8-9 months!

They are installed with nothing above them (well, the roof is between 1
and 3 meters away) - are yours covered over at the top with insulation or
something?

Sparks...

They have good ventilation so that shouldn't be an issue for me, they're
in little metal 'pods' that protrude form the ceiling by about 2 1/2
inches.

I know that there are some people out there, like yourself, who have had
good experiances with GU10's, there just seem to be many like me on a
merry go round of bulb replacement

I will have a look what make they are when I get a moment - I wouldn't say
that a 2 1/2" pod is good ventilation though! - Is there a room above the
lights?

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

I know that there are some people out there, like yourself, who have had
good experiances with GU10's, there just seem to be many like me on a
merry go round of bulb replacement

I will have a look what make they are when I get a moment - I wouldn't say
that a 2 1/2" pod is good ventilation though! - Is there a room above the
lights?

Sparks...

Just thought, I have mine on those touch dimmers, so they soft start every
time they are tuned on - maybe that is the key?

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sparks wrote:
I know that there are some people out there, like yourself, who have had
good experiances with GU10's, there just seem to be many like me on a
merry go round of bulb replacement

I will have a look what make they are when I get a moment - I wouldn't say
that a 2 1/2" pod is good ventilation though! - Is there a room above the
lights?

Sparks...

Just thought, I have mine on those touch dimmers, so they soft start every
time they are tuned on - maybe that is the key?

Sparks...

They certainly get hot. I put some of those 3-on-a-bar type halogens,
and I smelt a
funny smell. I don't know what the ceiling was painted with, but it
appeared to be melting !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fatboy40 wrote:
There realy isn't much information on the above around so I thought I'd ask
in here.

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling, they're rated for say 1500
hours but for many they last only a few weeks, this happens to me no matter
what brand I buy.

I've noticed that some say you should not handle the bulbs directly but this
seems to be some sort of urban myth.

I've never considered it a myth. I always try and handle them without
skin contact or clean them if I do touch them.
Anyone know any different?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:19:22 -0000, "Fatboy40" no one here, sorry
wrote:

There realy isn't much information on the above around so I thought I'd ask
in here.

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling, they're rated for say 1500
hours but for many they last only a few weeks, this happens to me no matter
what brand I buy.

I've had six GU10 lamps in the bathroom for over two years, and have
only ever replaced one bulb.
There isn't that much clearance above them - just a few inches.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz

"Fatboy40" no one here, sorry wrote in message
There realy isn't much information on the above around so I thought I'd
ask in here.

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling, they're rated for say
1500 hours but for many they last only a few weeks, this happens to me no
matter what brand I buy.

I've noticed that some say you should not handle the bulbs directly but
this seems to be some sort of urban myth. Also LED GU10's seem to be a
solution, however, the amount of light they emit is less than a standard
50 w GU10.

Is there one brand of bulb you can buy that doesn't fail so quickly or if
you choose to install GU10 fittings do you just have to get used to
replacing them regularly ?.

Thanks.

A mate of mine sells bulbs and I asked him the same question as the ones I
was using didn't last very long.
He suggested "SYLVANIA", I bought a box and have been replacing dead ones
with these and I have now had some of the news ones in for over a year.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Fatboy40" no one here, sorry wrote in message
There realy isn't much information on the above around so I thought I'd
ask in here.

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling, they're rated for say
1500 hours but for many they last only a few weeks, this happens to me no
matter what brand I buy.

I've noticed that some say you should not handle the bulbs directly but
this seems to be some sort of urban myth. Also LED GU10's seem to be a
solution, however, the amount of light they emit is less than a standard
50 w GU10.

Is there one brand of bulb you can buy that doesn't fail so quickly or if
you choose to install GU10 fittings do you just have to get used to
replacing them regularly ?.

This issue is often the mains being too high, but withing spec. My mate
suffered this in his new kitchen, costing £3-4 month in bulbs over about 1
year. Greatly helped by fitting soft start unit (www.tlc-direct.co.uk), but
after suffering an insulation failure in one of the lights changed them all
to 12V units, each off a transformer and not suffered any bulb failures in 4
years.

I have 8 12V downlighters in my kitchen, fitted in 2000 and not suffered any
bulb failures at all, which is what finally convinced my mate 12V +
transformer was the way to go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

wrote:

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling,

Buy better bulbs. Cheap GU10s are a false economy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blueyonder

wrote in message
ups.com...

Fatboy40 wrote:
There realy isn't much information on the above around so I thought I'd
ask
in here.

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling, they're rated for say
1500
hours but for many they last only a few weeks, this happens to me no
matter
what brand I buy.

I've noticed that some say you should not handle the bulbs directly but
this
seems to be some sort of urban myth.

I've never considered it a myth. I always try and handle them without
skin contact or clean them if I do touch them.
Anyone know any different?

I've quite often noticed finger-prints on the inside of these things, so I
suspect they are not treated so carefully at the factory. These are the GEC
things made in Poland.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fatboy40

wrote:

The lifespan of GU10 bulbs seems to be appaling,

Buy better bulbs. Cheap GU10s are a false economy.

Yep, I presumed the same thing, however, a bulb from a branded pack of three
for £9.99 seems to last no longer than a bulb from a three pack costing
£4.99

If anyone can reccomend a brand of bulb available on the high street that it
supposed to be of a better quality I'll try it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fatboy40

"Baz" wrote in message

A mate of mine sells bulbs and I asked him the same question as the ones I
was using didn't last very long.
He suggested "SYLVANIA", I bought a box and have been replacing dead ones
with these and I have now had some of the news ones in for over a year.

Baz

Thanks Baz.

I had a look at their website and it seems that they're the new name for
Osram who I'm aware of.

I've never seen the brand on the high street though, where did you buy yours
? (I see that they can be bought on line, however, I think I'd have to be
mad to trust my postie to deliver them intact).