Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EDF heavy handed on smart meters?

Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar situation?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Ask EDF if they wish to lose a customer?

Can't be enforced, can it?

No.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2018 19:47, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar situation?

No, they are optional.

I suggest you advise your friend to tell EDF to note on the account that
(a) a smart meter is not wanted and (b) any further contact from them
about fitting one in the next 12 months[1] will result in a complaint to
ofgem.

[1] best to give a reasonable time limit as there is the downside that
smart meters may be needed for better tariffs i.d.c.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ****** Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 20:40:05 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I have EDF.

You have **** for brains! You know it! I know it! Everyone who knows you,
knows it!

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 19:56:19 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Ask EDF if they wish to lose a customer?

Can't be enforced, can it?

No.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights

They are not the only ones.

The call center person representing Scottish and Southern seemed a bit
taken back when I read the section " Do I have to have a smart
meter?" from that back to them yesterday .

They had answered my Question "Why Do I have to have a smart meter"
with "because the government say it is a legal requirement for
everyone to have one by 2020".

As it was probably someone on minimum wage doing their best to earn a
few pounds I wished them a good day and hung up, if they were really
from SSE directly I may have asked to speak to someone further up the
chain and got argumentative.
As it is I've got more important things to attend to for a few days
but after I do intend to send a complaint to SSE themselves,or does
anyone know of someone better to contact.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/h...ctricity-guide
[...]

OFGEM
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 19:47:08 -0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar situation?

I have EDF.* They phoned me 15 times within the space of a week or so
trying to sell me one.* I never answered them, I looked up the number
and blocked it from my mobile the first time they rang, after google
told me it was a smart meter they tried to sell from that number.* They
then sent 1 letter saying I would benefit from a smart meter (no
obligation) but didn't say why it would benefit me, so I binned it.* The
phonecalls would have been annoying had I not got a phone with a
blocking function or had the gall to tell them to **** off, which
presumably your elderly friend doesn't.* In your position I'd call the
number that phoned your friend and on their behalf tell them what you
think of their hard sell, if necessary threatening to move them to a
more reputable company.

May be they should tell them they wish to cancel their account
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now it was mentioned on You and Yours about a week back amongst other
places. Interestingly its the opposite of my experience with EDF. They told
me the following when I spoke to their team.

at present the current meters have two main problems. They do not comply
with the latest communication standard so other suppliers will be unable to
use them if you switch, and as you are on economy 7 and not dual fuel (ie
electric only), there is currently no solution for your usage profile (posh
name for me being an awkward bugger with no gas)

I also enquired about getting an audio enabled remote unit. They told me
that they do not keep stocks of these units but would swap out an ordinary
one for blind users if requested. The Offgen folk have already told me that
the talking remote units are out there and ready to go, so some
contradiction there too.
I suspect the real reason here is that they just want to show they are
trying and hence they will hit what they consider the low hanging fruit
first.
Cynical me?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar situation?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2018 08:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
Now it was mentioned on You and Yours about a week back amongst other
places. Interestingly its the opposite of my experience with EDF. They told
me the following when I spoke to their team.

at present the current meters have two main problems. They do not comply
with the latest communication standard so other suppliers will be unable to
use them if you switch, and as you are on economy 7 and not dual fuel (ie
electric only), there is currently no solution for your usage profile (posh
name for me being an awkward bugger with no gas)

If I was on Economy 7 I wouldn't trust a "smart" equivalent. It might
morph into Economy 5, Economy 3, Economy "why don't you have your main
meal in the evening as electricity is cheaper then".

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

at present the current meters have two main problems. They do not comply
with the latest communication standard so other suppliers will be unable to
use them if you switch, and as you are on economy 7 and not dual fuel (ie
electric only), there is currently no solution for your usage profile (posh
name for me being an awkward bugger with no gas)

Hardly awkward/unusual, there is surely a significant proportion of
the population who don't have gas - like us, out in the countryside.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/18 19:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Ask EDF if they wish to lose a customer?

Can't be enforced, can it?

No.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rights

Ah, I've had the offending letter read to me. EDF wants to replace the
old meter as it's end of life, close to the maximum count.

Fair enough - even though the rest of the letter is plastered with 'get
smart' advertising.

It does means it still can be replaced with a normal meter, which is
what they will be insisting on.

Thanks for the pointer to Ofgem

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jan 2018 17:16:15 GMT, Huge wrote:

Hardly awkward/unusual, there is surely a significant proportion

of
the population who don't have gas - like us, out in the

countryside.

We haven't had gas for over 30 years in two houses.

No gas here either, nor down in the village or any of the surrounding
farms. The town of Middleton-in-Teesdale doesn't have gas either
judging by the number of chimenys emitting wood or coal smoke in the
winter. So no doubt non of the surrounding houses/farms have gas
either.

A heads up for those with an old bolier ( 5 years is "old" in this
context). The rules have changed on the ECO free new bolier scheme. A
lot more people now qualify who didn't before.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2018 19:47, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Not stroppy, always polite, but showed dumb persistence. First it was
the phone calls. Each time, I told them that it wasn't going to be
convenient for quite some time, and I would contact them when I wanted
to proceed. Each time they said yes, that was fine, and no, it isn't
mandatory, and then phoned again a couple of weeks later.

Just when they seemed to have got the message, I got a letter from them
to say that they had made an appointment to fit a new meter on
date,time. They did at least provide a link to allow me to cancel it
on line, which I did, and under 'reason' ticked the box to say 'I don't
want a smart meter right now'. EDF sent an e-mail to remind me that it
was time to rebook my appointment.

A few weeks later, they sent another 'we have booked an appointment'
letter. This time they'd cunningly removed any mechanism for on-line
cancellation, so I phoned them. The young lady said she would 'opt me
out', and I haven't heard any more from them. But I understand that the
second-generation meters are expected to be rolled out sometime this
year, so I won't be surprised if it all starts again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

A heads up for those with an old bolier ( 5 years is "old" in this
context). The rules have changed on the ECO free new bolier scheme. A
lot more people now qualify who didn't before.

Presumably you still need to be on the sosh in one way or another?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:44:50 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

A heads up for those with an old bolier ( 5 years is "old" in

this
context). The rules have changed on the ECO free new bolier

scheme. A
lot more people now qualify who didn't before.

Presumably you still need to be on the sosh in one way or another?

Yes, but they have removed the household income limit of 16 k ish and
only one person in the household has to be getting one of the listed
benefits.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environment...pport-improvin
g-your-home

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2018 19:47, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Same thing (same company) covered on one of the R4 consumer programs the
other day. They did grovel slightly, IIRC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/18 19:47, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Adam Vaughan is looking for experiences relating to this for an article
in the Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/profile/adam-vaughan

TW