Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] a_lurker@anonymous.invalid is offline

Default EDF heavy handed on smart meters?

On 17/01/2018 19:47, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Got an elderly friend who categorically does not wish to have a smart
meter fitted. EDF have apparently sent letters and are getting rather
stroppy.

Can't be enforced, can it? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Not stroppy, always polite, but showed dumb persistence. First it was
the phone calls. Each time, I told them that it wasn't going to be
convenient for quite some time, and I would contact them when I wanted
to proceed. Each time they said yes, that was fine, and no, it isn't
mandatory, and then phoned again a couple of weeks later.

Just when they seemed to have got the message, I got a letter from them
to say that they had made an appointment to fit a new meter on
date,time. They did at least provide a link to allow me to cancel it
on line, which I did, and under 'reason' ticked the box to say 'I don't
want a smart meter right now'. EDF sent an e-mail to remind me that it
was time to rebook my appointment.

A few weeks later, they sent another 'we have booked an appointment'
letter. This time they'd cunningly removed any mechanism for on-line
cancellation, so I phoned them. The young lady said she would 'opt me
out', and I haven't heard any more from them. But I understand that the
second-generation meters are expected to be rolled out sometime this
year, so I won't be surprised if it all starts again.