Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TRV Price/Quality sweet-spot

As part of a complete heating system overhaul I need to replace the
seized up and non thermostatic valves on 13 Radiators.

I have some previous experience with Drayton and have no issues with
their reliability, (only a 1 yr guarantee but my experience is that they
will last much longer) but at Screwfix prices (for comparison)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-t...d-15mm-x/34362

the cost would be 13*24.99 (£325)

On the other hand the cheapest Screwfix offering

https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-chr...d-15mm-x/31811

(with 1 yr guarantee) would be 13*6.79 (£88.27) (But deep down I would
be expecting to be replacing leaky/stuck valves within 2 or 3 years).

Any thoughts on other brands with optimum cost/reliability would be much
appreciated.

Terrier (5 yr Guarantee and £11 each) and possibly Danfoss look like
they might fit the bill but I have no experience of either.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 20:10, Chris B wrote:
As part of a complete heating system overhaul I need to replace the
seized up and non thermostatic valves on 13 Radiators.

I have some previous experience with Drayton and have no issues with
their reliability, (only a 1 yr guarantee but my experience is that they
will last much longer) but at Screwfix prices (for comparison)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-t...d-15mm-x/34362

the cost would be 13*24.99 (£325)

I have use "pattern" copies of the Drayton, and they have been fine for
5+ years.

Terrier (5 yr Guarantee and £11 each) and possibly Danfoss look like
they might fit the bill but I have no experience of either.

Also used those in the past, and they worked fine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 10:19:24 AM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/01/2018 20:10, Chris B wrote:
As part of a complete heating system overhaul I need to replace the
seized up and non thermostatic valves on 13 Radiators.

I have some previous experience with Drayton and have no issues with
their reliability, (only a 1 yr guarantee but my experience is that they
will last much longer) but at Screwfix prices (for comparison)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-t...d-15mm-x/34362

the cost would be 13*24.99 (£325)

I have use "pattern" copies of the Drayton, and they have been fine for
5+ years.

Terrier (5 yr Guarantee and £11 each) and possibly Danfoss look like
they might fit the bill but I have no experience of either.

Also used those in the past, and they worked fine.

--
Cheers,

John.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00331S41K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris B writes:
As part of a complete heating system overhaul I need to replace the
seized up and non thermostatic valves on 13 Radiators.

I have some previous experience with Drayton and have no issues with
their reliability, (only a 1 yr guarantee but my experience is that they
will last much longer) but at Screwfix prices (for comparison)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-t...d-15mm-x/34362

the cost would be 13*24.99 (£325)

Screwfix is not somewhere I'd go to buy something cheaply.
I regard it more as an emergency supplier for once-offs.

BES do them now (they didn't for years), at £18.

Also, try your local plumber's merchant for a box quantity - they
might give you a good quote, even more so if part of a bigger
order.

Lastly, if you're not in a hurry, keep an eye out for a year or
so. I bought 10 or 15 of them at Screwfix trade show (bought
directly from Drayton, not from Screwfix) for £12 each including
lockshield valves. There was no qty discount in this case, but
it was a price for that event only.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 11:16, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Chris B writes:
[...]

I bought TRV4s from he
https://www.monsterplumb.co.uk/index...drayton%20trv4

around ~£18.00 each inc VAT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 11:01, misterroy wrote:
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 10:19:24 AM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/01/2018 20:10, Chris B wrote:
As part of a complete heating system overhaul I need to replace the
seized up and non thermostatic valves on 13 Radiators.

I have some previous experience with Drayton and have no issues with
their reliability, (only a 1 yr guarantee but my experience is that they
will last much longer) but at Screwfix prices (for comparison)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-t...d-15mm-x/34362

the cost would be 13*24.99 (£325)

I have use "pattern" copies of the Drayton, and they have been fine for
5+ years.

Watch out, I ended up with a couple of "pattern" copy Draytons a few
years ago after not reading an eBay posting carefully enough. They are
complete rubbish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 22:30, newshound wrote:
On 02/01/2018 11:01, misterroy wrote:
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 10:19:24 AM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/01/2018 20:10, Chris B wrote:
As part of a complete heating system overhaul I need to replace the
seized up and non thermostatic valves on 13 Radiators.

I have some previous experience with Drayton and have no issues with
their reliability, (only a 1 yr guarantee but my experience is that
they
will last much longer) but at Screwfix prices (for comparison)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-t...d-15mm-x/34362

the cost would be 13*24.99 (£325)

I have use "pattern" copies of the Drayton, and they have been fine for
5+ years.

Watch out, I ended up with a couple of "pattern" copy Draytons a few
years ago after not reading an eBay posting carefully enough. They are
complete rubbish.

Yup equally possible. I got mine on the advice of the plumbers merchant
that had been doing a particular model for some years and had found it
good.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris B writes:
[...]

Thanks to all for the suggestions/pointers. The job wont be started
until the end of the current heating season so there is no immediate
rush. I am just trying to do some homework in advance.

--
Chris B (News)