al

Default Quality of "shed-carried" TRV valves?

Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house, but
at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not sure
if they're branded or not.

Justin Time

"al" wrote in message
k...
Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house,
but at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not
sure if they're branded or not.

Get what you pay for maybe ?

If you want to pay a lot less for trv4's have a look on Ebay.

p.s..... I have 3 boxed unused trv4's if of interest.

Peter Andrews

"al" wrote in message
k...
Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house,
but at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not
sure if they're branded or not.

With luck you will still be able to get spares/replacements for the Drayton
in 10+ years (which ain't long in home owning terms ) Trying to find a
part for an unbranded one....

Your decision but I know what I would buy (and I've only required one
Drayton top in 22 years with 11 rads)

Peter

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
al wrote:
Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house,
but at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what
people's experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes,
Homebase, Focus and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about
£5-12 each. Not sure if they're branded or not

Go for good, ie branded, ones. They last longer. And when they fail - as
they will - there's a good chance you'll get ones which are a simple
replacement. Shed ones may have rather 'non standard' fittings.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
al

"Justin Time" wrote in message
Get what you pay for maybe ?

If you want to pay a lot less for trv4's have a look on Ebay.

p.s..... I have 3 boxed unused trv4's if of interest.

Hi Justin,

Could be! Are they the white ones or all chrome? How much and whereabouts
in the country are you? I tried emailing you, but it bounced.

alan

chris French

In message , al
writes
Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house, but
at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not sure
if they're branded or not.

Should be able to get TRV4's at bit less than GBP18.

I've used TRV4s and been very happy with them (8 years so far installed
and no problems), in previous threads here they have got plenty of
'votes' (see Google Groups). In the grand scheme of things the extra
cost isn't really significant IMO, replacing one cheapy valve in few
years time would wipe that out in hassle AFAIAC.

They are also one of the better looking ones IMO, certainly I'd stick
with a good brand.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Justin Time

"al" wrote in message
"Justin Time" wrote in message
Get what you pay for maybe ?

If you want to pay a lot less for trv4's have a look on Ebay.

p.s..... I have 3 boxed unused trv4's if of interest.

Hi Justin,

Could be! Are they the white ones or all chrome? How much and
whereabouts
in the country are you? I tried emailing you, but it bounced.

alan

Brand new,White, chromed top, 15mm............ £25 for all three, but I
don't know how we could do the transaction if you were interested.....
unless you live up the road from me. (Grimsby)
email ...

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
chris French writes:
In message , al
writes
Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house, but
at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not sure
if they're branded or not.

Should be able to get TRV4's at bit less than GBP18.

I bought about 10 of them for something like £10 each from a small
independant plumbers merchant (in High Street North, Dunstable)
about 3 years ago. I was buying a load of radiators too, and they
weren't bottom of the range cheap ones -- don't know if I would have
got same price on just the TRV4's alone.

--
Andrew Gabriel
al

Brand new,White, chromed top, 15mm............ £25 for all three, but I
don't know how we could do the transaction if you were interested.....
unless you live up the road from me. (Grimsby)
email ...

Don't worry about it ... ordered 6 on Ebay for £50. Hoping they'll get here
for Saturday as Sunday is the last day I have really to install them! And
no ... I'm a couple of hundred miles away

al

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
I bought about 10 of them for something like £10 each from a small
independant plumbers merchant (in High Street North, Dunstable)
about 3 years ago. I was buying a load of radiators too, and they
weren't bottom of the range cheap ones -- don't know if I would have
got same price on just the TRV4's alone.

Speaking of which ... planning on picking up the rads in Wickes. Seem to be
a good price and look OK. Any comments on their reliability and ease of
fitting?

r.p.mcmurphy

"al" wrote in message
k...
Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house,
but at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not
sure if they're branded or not.

don't touch the screwfix ones, they are of variable quality, and a few have
failed in my house(leaks, and sticking on or off etc).

Steve

Bob Mannix

"al" wrote in message
k...
Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house,

but
at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not

sure
if they're branded or not.

I've bought both (and wished I hadn't). Go for the TRV4's

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

John Stumbles

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
"al" wrote in message
k...

Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house,
but at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not
sure if they're branded or not.

don't touch the screwfix ones, they are of variable quality, and a few have
failed in my house(leaks, and sticking on or off etc).

Which Screwfix ones? They do Pegler Terrier IIs at a quite reasonable
price (c. £7-8 ea if you buy 10) and they should be as good as Draytons.
IMO TRV4s are sold on looks: fine if you really must have a shiny dome
(fnaaar :-) but they do go wrong - I've replaced knackered TRVs as well
as other makes. True you can get spares for them so it may be less
hassle to fix them when they do go wrong, though in practice it's easy
enough to replace the whole valve (carrot & spud the header tank, close
the other rad valve, drain off a pint or so of water or suck it out with
the wet vac and sling on the new valve).
Stuart

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:37:42 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

"al" wrote in message
. uk...
Had been looking at buying ACL Drayton (Invensys) TRV4's for the house,
but at over £18 each, it mounts up a little. I'm wondering what people's
experiences are of the TRV's that are on offer in Wickes, Homebase, Focus
and B&Q? IIRC, they seem to vary in price from about £5-12 each. Not
sure if they're branded or not.

don't touch the screwfix ones, they are of variable quality, and a few have
failed in my house(leaks, and sticking on or off etc).

Steve

Are you including the Danfoss-Randall ones in that ..??

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
al

"al" wrote in message news:0EX4e.38307
Speaking of which ... planning on picking up the rads in Wickes. Seem to
be a good price and look OK. Any comments on their reliability and ease
of fitting?

I should add, that due to time constraints (I need them this weekend) ...
Screwfix and the like are no longer options. Has to be somewhere I can
drive and pickup. That's Homebase (terrible selection of about 3 rads!),
Focus (not even sure they do plumbing) or Wickes. Can do B&Q, but 15 min
drive so would have to be better than Wickes!

Chris

From memory B&Q do a TRV for about =A310 that is sourced thru robomatic

plc who so ususlly sorce thru dranfoss.

Regards Mark (Leeds)

shed roof specs David UK diy 6 March 13th 05 03:55 AM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. Draft 2 John Rumm UK diy 55 March 13th 05 01:27 AM
When is a shed not a shed? Vortex UK diy 7 January 7th 05 10:31 AM
Need to Move a Shed HerHusband Home Repair 15 August 17th 04 10:34 PM
non-return valves, isolating valves and service valves Ron Askew UK diy 3 October 29th 03 07:32 PM