Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default value?

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it appears
I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been recovered to
my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine. I am not up to fixing
it myself, I can't even see where they have hidden the plugs.

Well, I was planning to change it anyway for something more suited to my
new environment of very muddy lanes and with more space for fetching and
carrying DIY stuff.

Not worth much (650?, 200 as p/e?) if it were still a running. Will cost
money just to get it to garage to look at it. I assume not worth cost of
repair. Scrap dealer will take it away for £75, but it might be worth a
bit more as a non-runner/spares.

What does the team think?

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it appears
I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been recovered to
my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

+1

Yup 10" of water does not sound like it should be that serious.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 12:49, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

+1

Yup 10" of water does not sound like it should be that serious.

have you seen where some french cars put the air inlet?
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it appears
I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been recovered to
my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

It happend to a SEAT of mine some years ago. The air intake was at bumper
level! Luckily the engine was cold and the water just flooded the engine
which stopped instantly. Engine was drained, fresh oil in the sump , and
all was well.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

+1

Yup 10" of water does not sound like it should be that serious.

have you seen where some french cars put the air inlet?

Yes, but where's this one placed?
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

+1

Yup 10" of water does not sound like it should be that serious.

have you seen where some french cars put the air inlet?

Yes, but where's this one placed?

Down low on the left of the car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 12:49:10 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

+1

Yup 10" of water does not sound like it should be that serious.

When I were a nipper it was normal to drive through deeper than that. The main problem that resulted was the brakes. I know one place where it's still like that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

[...]

In my Anglia, I went though water that came up to the headlights. A quick
respray of WD40 on the plug leads and away we went.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

[...]

as Peter Hill says: A puddle Hoover.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

[...]

A mate of mine killed one of the little Pug vans that way in the
Gloucester floods a few years ago. I got the Polo home OK.

IIRC my old Fourtrak with a pretty high air intake was designed with an
air filter which wouldn't collapse if you did flood it. In fact there
was a little drain hole in the bottom of the housing so that it would
drain after you got towed out.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/17 8:28 PM, DJC wrote:
On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could
be pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally,
I'd just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

A bad hydrolock, either bends a rod and then one cylinder has low
compression or lifts the head then the head gasket fails.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

DJC wrote:

On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

Is it worth turning it over with the plugs out, and perhaps repeating
that over a few hours and trying again with them back?
--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles writes:
In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 28 December 2017 12:49:10 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
main problem that resulted was the brakes. I know one place where it's
still like that.

In my Anglia, I went though water that came up to the headlights. A quick
respray of WD40 on the plug leads and away we went.

In those days, they hadn't yet thought of preheating the air
intake from the exhaust manifold heat, and it was usually
sucked in at the air filter on the top of the engine.

One of my staff wrote off their car ~10 years ago in floods.
The air intake was at top of radiator grill but water rode up
that high, possibly as a result of him thinking if he went
fast enough, he might get through without stalling. It broke
enough inside the engine to mean a new engine was required,
which was almost the value of the car.

Probably 20 years ago, I drove my Ford Fiesta through some
rather deep water. It washed some grit into one of the front
CV joints, which made a nasty noise immediately afterwards,
and had to be replaced a few months later.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 20:28:20 +0000, DJC wrote:

On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

That doesn't prove the ignition electrics are dry. Check all the plug
leads and the whole HT side for a start.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

DJC wrote:

On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:

[...]

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

That's the one thing you shouldn't have done. You can pretty much guarantee
the engine is beyond economic repair.

Take the 75UKP and move on.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

DJC wrote:
On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2017 11:16, DJC wrote:

Citroën C2, 06 reg, LHD. Driving through 10" of flood water: it
appears I am still not old enough to know better. It has now been
recovered to my driveway, almost certainly has water in engine.

Really? Water inside the cylinders? Water that doesn't compress?
Wouldn't that force the head off or wreck the crank - that kind of
thing? Were there REALLY loud noises coming from the engine bay/bits
coming out of the side of the block?

Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

Trunging?! - I rather like that.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Chris Whelan Wrote in message:
DJC wrote:

On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:

[...]

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

That's the one thing you shouldn't have done. You can pretty much
guarantee the engine is beyond economic repair.

A bad idea for sure without removing the plugs but would a starter
motor have enough power to do more damage?

Tim

IME, yes.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2017 12:08, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 23:06:03 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Probably 20 years ago, I drove my Ford Fiesta through some rather deep
water. It washed some grit into one of the front CV joints, which made a
nasty noise immediately afterwards, and had to be replaced a few months
later.

Didn't seize as you were going along throwing the car into a skid ?

Which is what I was told could happen if a stone got into the CV joint.
Sounded ******** then, and ******** now.

A few moths ago the van pulled suddenly to the left on the M-Way. It did
this just as I was crossing a raised intersection in high winds and I
put it down to the wind.

There was nothing else until I got to Ponds Forge roundabout in
Sheffield and all the ball bearings fellout leaving me stranded in the
middle of the roundabout.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 23:06:03 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Probably 20 years ago, I drove my Ford Fiesta through some rather deep
water. It washed some grit into one of the front CV joints, which made a
nasty noise immediately afterwards, and had to be replaced a few months
later.

Didn't seize as you were going along throwing the car into a skid ?

Which is what I was told could happen if a stone got into the CV joint.
Sounded ******** then, and ******** now.

This is I suppose why the little rubber gaiters are an MOT item.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

[...]

I seen 8 valves bent by a starter turning on an engine with a misplaced
timing belt.

A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?

Tim

No, it isn't. The result in terms of the potential value of the car, which
is what the OP asked, is however.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/12/2017 12:25, ARW wrote:

A few moths ago the van pulled suddenly to the left on the M-Way. It did
this just as I was crossing a raised intersection in high winds and I
put it down to the wind.

There was nothing else until I got to Ponds Forge roundabout in
Sheffield and all the ball bearings fellout leaving me stranded in the
middle of the roundabout.

You posted something about Fiat vans a while back. It seemed heart-felt.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Are you sure that you haven't just drowned the electrics? That could be
pretty deadly for a car of that age, too, of course. Personally, I'd
just dry it out and try turning the engine over.

+1

Yup 10" of water does not sound like it should be that serious.

It could be on my old Rover. The air intake is right down at the bottom of
the engine bay to get the coldest air.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2017 14:06, GB wrote:
On 29/12/2017 12:25, ARW wrote:

A few moths ago the van pulled suddenly to the left on the M-Way. It
did this just as I was crossing a raised intersection in high winds
and I put it down to the wind.

There was nothing else until I got to Ponds Forge roundabout in
Sheffield and all the ball bearings fellout leaving me stranded in the
middle of the roundabout.

You posted something about Fiat vans a while back. It seemed heart-felt.

New fuel pump (that nearly set on fire 3 weeks later as the mechanic was
****), new EGV (twice but the second mechanic was **** and swapped a
brand new EGV for a new one that was not needed), new CV joint (twice as
the replacement lasted 4 weeks), new clutch (lot's of meat on it but a
spring broke), cutting out on me on the M62, cutting out on me on the
A1M, new battery, new drivers door lock (and new tools at just over a
grand), complete replacement of wishbone arms (both sides), respray down
the LHS (I let the apprentice drive it that day), new internal blower etc

Oh and the glove box fell out of the dashboard today.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Chris Whelan Wrote in message:
Tim+ wrote:

[...]

I seen 8 valves bent by a starter turning on an engine with a misplaced
timing belt.

A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?

Tim

No, it isn't. The result in terms of the potential value of the car,
which is what the OP asked, is however.

But your observation is as irrelevant as Jethro's with regard to
answering MY question.

You asked:

'A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?'

I replied:

'No, it isn't.'

How on earth is that an irrelevant answer?

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:15:25 +0000, ARW
wrote:

On 29/12/2017 14:06, GB wrote:
On 29/12/2017 12:25, ARW wrote:

[...]

FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow!

I do feel you pain - honest

Avpx

--
Dhblah sidled closer. This was not hard. Dhblah sidled everywhere. *Crabs*
thought he walked sideways.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-12-29, Tim+ wrote:
Jethro_uk Wrote in message:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 10:04:47 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Chris Whelan Wrote in message:
DJC wrote:

On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:

[...]

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

That's the one thing you shouldn't have done. You can pretty much
guarantee the engine is beyond economic repair.

A bad idea for sure without removing the plugs but would a starter
motor have enough power to do more damage?

Tim

I seen 8 valves bent by a starter turning on an engine with a misplaced
timing belt.

A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?

1? 8? In this case it makes little difference. The thing is scrap. Weigh
it in and buy a proper car.

It's not that difficult to remove the plugs on even a car with COP. Suck
out any water from the cylinders with a small hose etc (a cheap oil
changing pump even better), inject some oil and spin over with the starter
- plugs still out.

If DIY, costs zero to try.

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Chris Whelan Wrote in message:
Tim+ wrote:

[...]

I seen 8 valves bent by a starter turning on an engine with a misplaced
timing belt.

A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?

Tim

No, it isn't. The result in terms of the potential value of the car,
which is what the OP asked, is however.

But your observation is as irrelevant as Jethro's with regard to
answering MY question.

You asked:

'A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?'

I replied:

'No, it isn't.'

How on earth is that an irrelevant answer?

Because that isn't the original question that I asked. Try reading
the thread properly.

The question being answered "A piston whacking a valve isn't the same
scenario though, is it?"

If there was an original unanswered question, then perhaps it's best not
to ask another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 11:16:23 UTC, DJC wrote:
[...]

As long as it spins on the starter motor, there is no serious problem.
Water is not likely to get past the air cleaner
Probably just got water in the ignition somewhere.
Start by looking at the HT side.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 10:04:47 +0000 (GMT)
Tim+ wrote:

A bad idea for sure without removing the plugs but would a starter
motor have enough power to do more damage?

I imagine it would depend on the state of the engine when the starter
kicked in - if it picked up some momentum before locking then it might
bend a rod, but if the hydro-lock was pretty much instantaneous then I
doubt it. And if the water-full cylinder was on the exhaust stroke then
no harm done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2017 17:42, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 09:32:44 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

[...]

(?????? ?)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

As long as it spins on the starter motor, there is no serious problem.
Water is not likely to get past the air cleaner
Probably just got water in the ignition somewhere.
Start by looking at the HT side.

In decades past, when ignition systems weren't well protected, there
were always cars stuck in flood waters because water had got on the
ignition and the plugs and distributor were wet. The early minis were
particularly prone to conking out, as the plugs and distributor were
right out front and caught everything. As Harry says, check the HT
leads, the plugs and the distributor first before taking drastic
action.

Except things have moved on, where the coilpack is concentric and sealed
to the plug.

In the OP's case, damage is likely, and I can't recommending spinning on
a starter without removing the plugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 29/12/2017 14:06, GB wrote:
On 29/12/2017 12:25, ARW wrote:

[...]

Replacements FIATs whilst mine was in for repair were just as good.

1. Wing mirror fell off when I pressed the automatic "closing" button
2. Clutch failed (this one had 30K on the clock, at least mine did 175K
before the clutch spring failed)
3. RHS had a full respray (a woman tried to park her car next to it)
4. Wheel bearing was just about to collapse so I refused to drive it
5. Alternator failed

--

Adam
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

FFS give it a rest. No-one cares.

+1.

I'm current evaluating how I use my computer, and for what purposes. In the
new year, I think sadly it might be time to jump the sinking HMS Usenet.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 28/12/17 22:57, Roger Hayter wrote:
DJC wrote:

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

Is it worth turning it over with the plugs out, and perhaps repeating
that over a few hours and trying again with them back?

Well it might be if I could see the plugs, looks like the are round the
back beneath the air filter hose and a load of other gubbins. And it's
freezing cold and raining. I might take a look in a few days.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
In decades past, when ignition systems weren't well protected, there
were always cars stuck in flood waters because water had got on the
ignition and the plugs and distributor were wet. The early minis were
particularly prone to conking out, as the plugs and distributor were
right out front and caught everything. As Harry says, check the HT
leads, the plugs and the distributor first before taking drastic
action.

But perhaps the majority of cars are COP these days. So all the ignition
bits as high up as anything on the engine.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-29, Chris Whelan wrote:
Huge wrote:

FFS give it a rest. No-one cares.

+1.

I'm current evaluating how I use my computer, and for what purposes. In
the new year, I think sadly it might be time to jump the sinking HMS
Usenet.

Facebook's no better.

From some perspectives, several orders of magnitude worse.

Closed FB groups can be OK, especially if you are a mod. ;-)

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 08:34:47 +0000, Chris Whelan wrote:

Facebook's no better.

From some perspectives, several orders of magnitude worse.

Closed FB groups can be OK, especially if you are a mod. ;-)

I have one closed FB group. It excludes everyone from work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 17:42:33 +0000
Chris Hogg wrote:

The early minis were
particularly prone to conking out, as the plugs and distributor were
right out front and caught everything.

That reminds me of a particularly wet drive on the M1 in a new-to-me
Mini that kept cutting out. It emerged that a previous owner had lost
the plastic shield that should have sat between the front grille and
the distributor - as soon as I tied a carrier bag in its place the car
ran fine.

Free to find Your House Value! Help you to find your House Value andPrices george Home Repair 2 January 27th 09 02:24 PM
Value routers MattP UK diy 11 February 11th 04 08:32 PM
Flat Roof & Adding Value MrHappyChap UK diy 6 November 3rd 03 09:57 AM
air change value in room with open fireplace? Francis UK diy 1 August 12th 03 02:51 PM
Would welding the steel in re-enforced concrete add any value? BigWallop UK diy 3 July 12th 03 06:25 PM