Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default value?

In article ,
charles writes:
In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 28 December 2017 12:49:10 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
main problem that resulted was the brakes. I know one place where it's
still like that.

In my Anglia, I went though water that came up to the headlights. A quick
respray of WD40 on the plug leads and away we went.

In those days, they hadn't yet thought of preheating the air
intake from the exhaust manifold heat, and it was usually
sucked in at the air filter on the top of the engine.

One of my staff wrote off their car ~10 years ago in floods.
The air intake was at top of radiator grill but water rode up
that high, possibly as a result of him thinking if he went
fast enough, he might get through without stalling. It broke
enough inside the engine to mean a new engine was required,
which was almost the value of the car.

Probably 20 years ago, I drove my Ford Fiesta through some
rather deep water. It washed some grit into one of the front
CV joints, which made a nasty noise immediately afterwards,
and had to be replaced a few months later.

--
Andrew Gabriel