Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default value?

In article ,
Huge wrote:
On 2017-12-29, Tim+ wrote:
Jethro_uk Wrote in message:
On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 10:04:47 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Chris Whelan Wrote in message:
DJC wrote:

On 28/12/17 11:26, GB wrote:

[...]

The electrics function. Trunging to turn the engine over results in a
grunt from the starter motor but it does not turn the engine

That's the one thing you shouldn't have done. You can pretty much
guarantee the engine is beyond economic repair.

A bad idea for sure without removing the plugs but would a starter
motor have enough power to do more damage?

Tim

I seen 8 valves bent by a starter turning on an engine with a misplaced
timing belt.

A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?

1? 8? In this case it makes little difference. The thing is scrap. Weigh
it in and buy a proper car.

It's not that difficult to remove the plugs on even a car with COP. Suck
out any water from the cylinders with a small hose etc (a cheap oil
changing pump even better), inject some oil and spin over with the starter
- plugs still out.

If DIY, costs zero to try.

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.