Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alarm Battery Charge Time

Hi all

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery from Screwfix.

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

The battery is a 12v 7Ah lead acid jobbie.

My question is how long is it likely to take for the alarm power
supply to charge the newly installed battery?
The alarm is a Texecom Veritas Excel model.

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2017 23:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery from Screwfix.

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

The battery is a 12v 7Ah lead acid jobbie.

My question is how long is it likely to take for the alarm power
supply to charge the newly installed battery?
The alarm is a Texecom Veritas Excel model.

It doesn't matter because once you have installed it it will be on
permanent charge. But if you bought a lead acid battery and it was
discharged it's likely to be faulty. What made you think it was discharged?

I have bought small lead acid batteries like that and they won't ever
come back to normal condition.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its totally flat it is duff. These batteries tend to need to be charged
up either all the time or for a period every couple of months to keep them
working.I had a dryfit one in a Grundig piece of gear that had not been used
for nearly a year and it would not hold a charge.
However, are you absolutely sure the charging circuit is OK. I remember the
thread and I did wonder at the time whether some other damage had occurred
to the control box.
Brian

"TheChief" wrote in message
news
Hi all

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery from Screwfix.

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

The battery is a 12v 7Ah lead acid jobbie.

My question is how long is it likely to take for the alarm power
supply to charge the newly installed battery?
The alarm is a Texecom Veritas Excel model.

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2017 23:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery from Screwfix.

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

The battery is a 12v 7Ah lead acid jobbie.

My question is how long is it likely to take for the alarm power
supply to charge the newly installed battery?
The alarm is a Texecom Veritas Excel model.

Thanks

A couple of days for a 7Ah in a Texecom alarm.

Did the green light power light start to flash when you connected the
battery?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 23:34:53 +0000 (GMT+00:00), TheChief wrote:

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

Lead Acids should be supplied charged and given a top up every few
months. I doubt Screwfix are that organised and rely on turn over to
try and side step any shelf maintainance. There ought to be a date
code branded into the plastic casing somewhere.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright Wrote in message:
On 23/12/2017 23:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery from Screwfix.

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

The battery is a 12v 7Ah lead acid jobbie.

My question is how long is it likely to take for the alarm power
supply to charge the newly installed battery?
The alarm is a Texecom Veritas Excel model.

It doesn't matter because once you have installed it it will be on
permanent charge. But if you bought a lead acid battery and it was
discharged it's likely to be faulty. What made you think it was discharged?

I have bought small lead acid batteries like that and they won't ever
come back to normal condition.

Bill

Hi Bill

When I first fitted the replacement battery, without mains on, it
didn't have enough charge to hold up the alarm and power keypads.
When I spoke to the Texecom tech guy he said it wasn't unusual
due to the shelf time of the battery.
He told me to power up on mains and then connect the battery. I
did this and have left the system in that state.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2017 18:34, TheChief wrote:

When I first fitted the replacement battery, without mains on, it
didn't have enough charge to hold up the alarm and power keypads.
When I spoke to the Texecom tech guy he said it wasn't unusual
due to the shelf time of the battery.
He told me to power up on mains and then connect the battery. I
did this and have left the system in that state.

Phil

The point it that the mere fact of the battery being left long enough to
slowly self discharge, and being left in that condition for an unknown
period, is enough to greatly decrease the battery's capacity. Just how
bad the damage is we can't know, but that battery will not have the
capacity it should have. So telling you to simply use it is just not
playing the game. I suggest you discharge-test the battery once it has
been on charge for a week. Connect it to a load (a car bulb is suitable)
and do the sums. I'll bet anything it is down to a half or quarter of
it's rated capacity. Have you got any sort of multimeter?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks Bill
My FIL has a Fluke, so can check this out as you suggest.

To be honest I am at the cba stage at the moment due to Xmas
commitments.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheChief" wrote in message
news
Hi all

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery from Screwfix.

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

The battery is a 12v 7Ah lead acid jobbie.

My question is how long is it likely to take for the alarm power
supply to charge the newly installed battery?
The alarm is a Texecom Veritas Excel model.

Thanks

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Thanks Bill

I intend to pull the mains fuse soon after Xmas when it had had
chance to charge.
If it doesn't hold up on the battery I'll be checking the

charging rate at that point.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 23/12/2017 23:34, TheChief wrote:
Hi all

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery from Screwfix.

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

The battery is a 12v 7Ah lead acid jobbie.

My question is how long is it likely to take for the alarm power
supply to charge the newly installed battery?
The alarm is a Texecom Veritas Excel model.

Thanks

A couple of days for a 7Ah in a Texecom alarm.

Did the green light power light start to flash when you connected the
battery?

--
Adam

Hi Adam

Not sure about the flashing light to be honest.
Will be trying the panel without mains later next week tho.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 23:34:53 +0000 (GMT+00:00), TheChief wrote:

But it appears that it had been on the shelf a while and was low
on charge.

Lead Acids should be supplied charged and given a top up every few
months. I doubt Screwfix are that organised and rely on turn over to
try and side step any shelf maintainance. There ought to be a date
code branded into the plastic casing somewhere.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks Dave

I did see a serial type number on the battery top.
Next time I open the panel I'll check.

Is there an age at which I should be returning this? E. G. Older
than a year?

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2017 20:57, TheChief wrote:

Hi Adam

Not sure about the flashing light to be honest.
Will be trying the panel without mains later next week tho.

It's something I come across a lot when reinstating Veritas alarms that
have not been used for a while.
The battery is drawing so much charge that the voltage drops on the
transformer (or pulls down the voltage down to it's own low voltage)
that the panel registers it as a mains failure until the battery is charged.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 20:59:54 +0000 (GMT+00:00), TheChief wrote:

I did see a serial type number on the battery top.
Next time I open the panel I'll check.

Is there an age at which I should be returning this? E. G. Older
than a year?

That's the sort of age I'd be wary of buying and would take back if
it didn't perform as expected. Take a volt meter with you off load
terminal voltage should be over 12 V, less than 12.5 V might be OK, a
good fresh battery probably over 13 V.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheChief wrote:
When I first fitted the replacement battery, without mains on, it
didn't have enough charge to hold up the alarm and power keypads.
When I spoke to the Texecom tech guy he said it wasn't unusual
due to the shelf time of the battery.

SLA have very low self discharge. If it really was so flat as not to work,
I'd get it replaced. Lead acid batteries don't like deep discharge for any
reason, and will have a sorter life if ever allowed to get this low. Most
decent stockists will turn then round quick enough for the battery still
to have most of its charge. Unless they bought in far too many. But there
should be a date on it somewhere.

I got mine from TLC, and that had plenty charge.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheChief wrote:
I intend to pull the mains fuse soon after Xmas when it had had
chance to charge.
If it doesn't hold up on the battery I'll be checking the

Check the voltage across the battery with it powered up from the alarm. If
the normal 12v SLA, should read 13.8v.

But no amount of charging a knackered battery will make it good again.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017 10:37:43 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 24 Dec 2017 20:59:54 +0000 (GMT+00:00), TheChief wrote:

I did see a serial type number on the battery top.
Next time I open the panel I'll check.

Is there an age at which I should be returning this? E. G. Older than a
year?

That's the sort of age I'd be wary of buying and would take back if it
didn't perform as expected. Take a volt meter with you off load terminal
voltage should be over 12 V, less than 12.5 V might be OK, a good fresh
battery probably over 13 V.

Yes, it should be over 12v (unlike a cheap fleamarket 12AH one bought
2nd hand for a fiver which turned out to be only 11.99v on my own test
meters). In my case, that battery recovered quite nicely after a
fortnight's worth of solar panel (1.2Wp panel) charging from 3 to 6 hours
a day of afternoon summer sunshine until it hit and exceeded the 13.8v
mark. I left it resting at 12.85v for the next six months before using to
jump start the wife's 1.6 litre automatic Astra.

A decent SLA should be able to hold enough charge for a year before its
resting voltage dips below the 12.75 volt mark and the risk of sulphation
reducing its capacity starts becoming a serious issue.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief wrote:

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery

I wish someone down the road would ... their sounder box is currently
making sounds that vary between a squealing fan-belt and a demented
parakeet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 21:40, Andy Burns wrote:
TheChief wrote:

Following alarm issues caused by a power cut I have fitted a new
battery

I wish someone down the road would ... their sounder box is currently
making sounds that vary between a squealing fan-belt and a demented
parakeet.

I guess that many people also never change the default time that the
sounder remains on when triggered. I've set mine to be only a few
minutes assuming that if a thief does trigger the alarm then this would
be sufficient time to alert them that is gone off and hopefully short
enough not to disturb the neighbours for too long on a false alarm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

sounder box is currently making sounds that vary between a
squealing fan-belt and a demented parakeet.

I guess that many people also never change the default time that the
sounder remains on when triggered.

They all seem to default to the full 20 minutes, because the battery was
failing it was making sounds intermittently for longer than that, until
it petered out.