Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'UFO' LED lamps

https://ledlam.co.uk/shop/ledlam-e27...eid=6c6b87583e

I've not seen these before. At 20W, 1900 lm and 160 deg. angle they could be
good for, er, lighting a kitchen.
Wouldn't fit in an R63 recessed holder but a simple E27 - E27 might fix
that. Would tend to collect muck on the top.
Not being recessed should keep the temperature down.

I'm waiting for the long-promised 200 lm/W lamps.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
https://ledlam.co.uk/shop/ledlam-e27...eid=6c6b87583e

I've not seen these before. At 20W, 1900 lm and 160 deg. angle they
could be good for, er, lighting a kitchen. Wouldn't fit in an R63
recessed holder but a simple E27 - E27 might fix that. Would tend to
collect muck on the top. Not being recessed should keep the temperature
down.

I'm waiting for the long-promised 200 lm/W lamps.

A new LED which can't be dimmed?

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

https://ledlam.co.uk/shop/ledlam-e27...?mc_cid=a6e356
50cf&mc_eid=6c6b87583e

I've not seen these before. At 20W, 1900 lm and 160 deg. angle they
could be good for, er, lighting a kitchen. Wouldn't fit in an R63
recessed holder but a simple E27 - E27 might fix that. Would tend to
collect muck on the top. Not being recessed should keep the temperature
down.

I'm waiting for the long-promised 200 lm/W lamps.

A new LED which can't be dimmed?

Having a perfectly good light and then dimming it has always seemed
pretty perverse to me. There is a large market out there which isn't
the slightest bit interested in dimmability. Or the real word if there
is one.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

https://ledlam.co.uk/shop/ledlam-e27...?mc_cid=a6e356
50cf&mc_eid=6c6b87583e

I've not seen these before. At 20W, 1900 lm and 160 deg. angle they
could be good for, er, lighting a kitchen. Wouldn't fit in an R63
recessed holder but a simple E27 - E27 might fix that. Would tend to
collect muck on the top. Not being recessed should keep the temperature
down.

I'm waiting for the long-promised 200 lm/W lamps.

A new LED which can't be dimmed?

Having a perfectly good light and then dimming it has always seemed
pretty perverse to me.

Really? Have you never fitted a bulb in a location and thought that on
occasion, a lower output might be nice?

I adjust the light level over our dining table depending on the activity
Im undertaking at it.

There is a large market out there which isn't
the slightest bit interested in dimmability.

Or hasnt grasped the potential of dimming. Its probably even more
pertinent in this age of low wattage bulbs where the actual light output is
far harder to guess pre-purchase for those of us used to thinking in
40/60/100W bulbs and may end up with a bulb with too high an output.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

https://ledlam.co.uk/shop/ledlam-e27...?mc_cid=a6e356
50cf&mc_eid=6c6b87583e

I've not seen these before. At 20W, 1900 lm and 160 deg. angle they
could be good for, er, lighting a kitchen. Wouldn't fit in an R63
recessed holder but a simple E27 - E27 might fix that. Would tend to
collect muck on the top. Not being recessed should keep the
temperature down.

I'm waiting for the long-promised 200 lm/W lamps.

A new LED which can't be dimmed?

Having a perfectly good light and then dimming it has always seemed
pretty perverse to me. There is a large market out there which isn't
the slightest bit interested in dimmability. Or the real word if there
is one.

Very logical to me. Nice and bright for when you need high light levels,
down to background or whatever when relaxing.

--
*I want it all and I want it delivered

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

[...]

Well strangely enough some of us just have a different opinion from you.
Hard to accept, I know. I have never found a (commercially available,
domestic) light too bright for me. Really.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 15:08:19 +0000, PeterC wrote:

https://ledlam.co.uk/shop/ledlam-e27...lb-20w-2000up?

mc_cid=a6e35650cf&mc_eid=6c6b87583e

I've not seen these before. At 20W, 1900 lm and 160 deg. angle they
could be good for, er, lighting a kitchen.
Wouldn't fit in an R63 recessed holder but a simple E27 - E27 might fix
that. Would tend to collect muck on the top.
Not being recessed should keep the temperature down.

I'm waiting for the long-promised 200 lm/W lamps.

You and me both, pal. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

https://ledlam.co.uk/shop/ledlam-e27...?mc_cid=a6e356
50cf&mc_eid=6c6b87583e

I've not seen these before. At 20W, 1900 lm and 160 deg. angle they
could be good for, er, lighting a kitchen. Wouldn't fit in an R63
recessed holder but a simple E27 - E27 might fix that. Would tend to
collect muck on the top. Not being recessed should keep the temperature
down.

I'm waiting for the long-promised 200 lm/W lamps.

A new LED which can't be dimmed?

Having a perfectly good light and then dimming
it has always seemed pretty perverse to me.

More fool you. There are plenty of situations where you don’t always
want the same light levels, and plenty where the only bulb you can
buy that is suitable mechanically is only available in one wattage,
so you may well want less than the full brightness in some situations.

Completely stupid to have that quite bright one not dimmable.

There is a large market out there which isn't
the slightest bit interested in dimmability.

Sure, but with something as unusual and as expensive
as that one, it makes no sense to not have it dimmable
for those that need to be able to dim it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

[...]

Then you are one of those dinosaurs that hasn’t even noticed
that some things like watching TV or ****ing work better at
different light levels than dismantling something which has
tiny pieces in it etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2017 00:12, Roger Hayter wrote:

Well strangely enough some of us just have a different opinion from you.
Hard to accept, I know. I have never found a (commercially available,
domestic) light too bright for me. Really.

Does not have to be about "too bright" though does it... just a
reflection of the fact that some spaces are multiple use and different
lighting suits different uses. For example, the lighting in my office is
dimmable. Most of the time when working "full on" is just right. However
if I am watching a film / youtube at the computer then less bightness
can be preferable. A dimmer achieves that at pretty much zero extra effort.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 17/12/2017 00:12, Roger Hayter wrote:

Well strangely enough some of us just have a different opinion from
you. Hard to accept, I know. I have never found a (commercially
available, domestic) light too bright for me. Really.

Does not have to be about "too bright" though does it... just a
reflection of the fact that some spaces are multiple use and different
lighting suits different uses. For example, the lighting in my office is
dimmable. Most of the time when working "full on" is just right.
However if I am watching a film / youtube at the computer then less
bightness can be preferable. A dimmer achieves that at pretty much zero
extra effort.

Quite. Even more so in a multi-purpose room like most living rooms.

It's one thing I've not come to terms with. I like the way tungsten go
nice and 'warm' when dimmed. LEDs stay about the same colour temperature.
Perhaps I'll get used to it. Oddly, it never bothered with the dimming
florries in the kitchen.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

The fancy ones like the most expensive Hue bulbs don’t.

You are free to have any color temp you like with any brightness you
like and name every config so its trivial to select any time you want one.

Perhaps I'll get used to it. Oddly, it never bothered with the dimming
florries in the kitchen.

Yeah, I originally got some of the Hues that cant have their color
temp changed. I found them very yellow indeed, irritatingly yellow,
even tho I had previously mostly used PAR38 floods inside and they
are much yellower than normal incandescent bulbs.

Hardly notice how yellow that one is now, most of the other are
the more expensive ones which can have any color temp you like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

LEDs are available which automatically adjust colour with light output
level. There are two types - ones where the colour temperature can be
adjusted, and sometimes that comes with a preset which follows the Kruithof
curve as you dim it.

The other type I've see are much simpler but very effective. They use the
filament style LEDs in glass bulbs. However, there are one or two red
filaments for many of the white filaments. At full brightless, they balance
to give the desired colour temperature. As you dim them, the white filaments
dim preferentially because they need a higher voltage than the red ones in
parallel with them, which causes the light output to move more towards the
red end of the spectrum. I've seen these at lighting trade shows many times,
but I can't point you to a retailer (nor can I recall the manufacturer).

Perhaps I'll get used to it. Oddly, it never bothered with the dimming
florries in the kitchen.

They change colour quite significantly when dimmed, but in bizare ways
because the mercury spectrual lines change in relative intensity, and some
are used for the direct light output, whilst others excite phosphors to
fill in gaps in the mercury spectrum. Generally, they tend to go towards
pink or purple colour, rather than simply shifting towards red though, as
a result of the UV emission which stimlulates the phosphors dropping, and
you end up with something more like a non-phosphor mercury vapour lamp
colours.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Apologies for my lack of response - for some weird reason my newsreader is refusing to fetch any of this thread. I'm resorting to google groups for time being.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Argh, wrong thread. Damn google groups